Old 13-10-2005, 06:31 AM
jOhN

Default Somehow my newsreader transposed austin.general for austin.gardening;-)

Any gardening going on here?

I'm getting ready to wildflower seed the 50ft utility easement behind my
fence. A neighbor a couple of houses down has been able to get a cluster
of bluebonnets going that include the white ones. Its interesting
watching them slowly spread out from the few he started with about 10
years ago.

A few years back a friend gave me a bunch of seed for a "moon" garden.
It turned out to be a variety of white flowers that really did look cool
under the moon.
Old 13-10-2005, 12:45 PM
Victor Martinez

jOhN wrote:
Any gardening going on here?

It's planting time for trees and other perennials. Also herbs, which
reminds me I need to go buy some lavender to replace the one that
drowned. How on earth did it manage to drown in a raised bed with lots
of granite mixed in? Stupid floods.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old 13-10-2005, 03:02 PM
Bourne Identity

On Thu, 13 Oct 2005 05:31:31 GMT, jOhN
wrote:

Any gardening going on here?

I'm getting ready to wildflower seed the 50ft utility easement behind my
fence. A neighbor a couple of houses down has been able to get a cluster
of bluebonnets going that include the white ones. Its interesting
watching them slowly spread out from the few he started with about 10
years ago.

A few years back a friend gave me a bunch of seed for a "moon" garden.
It turned out to be a variety of white flowers that really did look cool
under the moon.

Admittedly, I have not been doing any gardening at all. My garden, in
a word is a "mess." I am going to overhaul the entire garden this
year. I never watered anything so any plant which didn't make it, is
going on the compost pile. I'm going to be concentrating much more on
vegetables next year and I'll be starting all of my own from seed in
the greenhouse.

I have a nice stand of bluebonnets and finally the Indian paintbrush
is starting to naturalize. It really is an amazing feeling to see
those tiny seedlings form rosettes all winter, waiting for that day
when they all of a sudden turn blue and orange, and it's beautiful.

Good luck on yours.
Old 13-10-2005, 03:03 PM
Bourne Identity

On Thu, 13 Oct 2005 11:45:08 GMT, Victor Martinez
wrote:

It's planting time for trees and other perennials. Also herbs, which
reminds me I need to go buy some lavender to replace the one that
drowned. How on earth did it manage to drown in a raised bed with lots
of granite mixed in? Stupid floods.

Victor, what floods?! Since July I had maybe two inches of rain and
it all came last week. I find lavender is not a very long lived
perennial for Central Texas. I could be wrong and I don't know what
Gwen Barclay has to say about it, but I've never had it longer than
three years before it craps out.

Old 13-10-2005, 03:16 PM
Victor Martinez

Bourne Identity wrote:
Victor, what floods?! Since July I had maybe two inches of rain and

The ones back in late spring/early summer.

it all came last week. I find lavender is not a very long lived
perennial for Central Texas. I could be wrong and I don't know what
Gwen Barclay has to say about it, but I've never had it longer than
three years before it craps out.

We had one in a pot that lived a long life, but the ones on the ground
suffer a lot when it rains.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old 14-10-2005, 02:45 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jOhN
Any gardening going on here?

I'm getting ready to wildflower seed the 50ft utility easement behind my
fence. A neighbor a couple of houses down has been able to get a cluster
of bluebonnets going that include the white ones. Its interesting
watching them slowly spread out from the few he started with about 10
years ago.

A few years back a friend gave me a bunch of seed for a "moon" garden.
It turned out to be a variety of white flowers that really did look cool
under the moon.
"Alamo Fire" looks like an interesting bluebonnet hybrid. Seems maroon from the poor picture on the seed canister at the feed store.