Old 18-03-2003, 04:32 PM
Karen

Default Greens

How does your garden grow?

From time to time, Gae has mentioned greens she's growing in her
garden, and I've wondered what other gems she hasn't mentioned. I
added sorrel and salad burnet to my yard because she mentioned them,
and I'm wondering what else others have.

I have lettuce, arugula, sorrel, lemon balm (this is amazing in
salads), and now salad burnet. And some spinach. What other salad
fixings do you have in your garden? Oh, and I have 3 kinds of mint.

Karen
Old 18-03-2003, 07:44 PM
Rusty Mase

On Tue, 18 Mar 2003 15:33:22 GMT, Karen wrote:

What other salad fixings

It is not really acceptable but I like the new growth on Smilax (cat
briar) vines. I guess that is for people who browse like deer,
though. In the summer Turk's Cap flowers are real tasty, and colorful
in a salad.

Rusty Mase

Old 18-03-2003, 08:20 PM
Karen

Rusty Mase wrote in
:
It is not really acceptable but I like the new growth on Smilax
(cat briar) vines. I guess that is for people who browse like
deer, though. In the summer Turk's Cap flowers are real tasty,
and colorful in a salad.

I have never regretting asking a question on this newsgroup--the
answers are *always* interesting.

Karen
Old 18-03-2003, 09:33 PM
Texensis

"Karen" wrote in message
| Rusty Mase wrote in
| :
| It is not really acceptable but I like the new growth on Smilax
| (cat briar) vines. I guess that is for people who browse like
| deer, though. In the summer Turk's Cap flowers are real tasty,
| and colorful in a salad.
|
| I have never regretting asking a question on this newsgroup--the
| answers are *always* interesting.
|
| Karen

There are few things in the salad-green department that lack interest
for roaming cats, in our experience. You might consider nasturtiums,
with peppery, cresslike leaves and edible and ornamental flowers. Some
of our over-wintered ones in pots have been blooming again the past
few days.

Old 19-03-2003, 01:20 AM
groober

"Karen" wrote in message
: How does your garden grow?
:
: From time to time, Gae has mentioned greens she's growing in her
: garden, and I've wondered what other gems she hasn't mentioned. I
: added sorrel and salad burnet to my yard because she mentioned them,
: and I'm wondering what else others have.
:
: I have lettuce, arugula, sorrel, lemon balm (this is amazing in
: salads), and now salad burnet. And some spinach. What other salad
: fixings do you have in your garden? Oh, and I have 3 kinds of mint.
:
: Karen

Mizuna is attractive and very quick to grow from seed. I had a greens pond
in my greenhouse this winter and it was by far the most productive.

I got my seeds at evergreenseeds.com.

Old 19-03-2003, 08:56 PM
Karen

"Texensis" wrote in
:
There are few things in the salad-green department that lack
interest for roaming cats, in our experience.

What, exactly, does this mean?!

You might consider
nasturtiums, with peppery, cresslike leaves and edible and
ornamental flowers. Some of our over-wintered ones in pots have
been blooming again the past few days.

I've never tried the leaves! Can't really bring myself to eat the
flowers.
Old 19-03-2003, 09:08 PM
Texensis

"Karen" wrote in message
| "Texensis" wrote in
| :
| There are few things in the salad-green department that lack
| interest for roaming cats, in our experience.
|
| What, exactly, does this mean?!

At certain times of the year, or maybe even always, some cats like to
eat some green things, and do so!

| You might consider
| nasturtiums, with peppery, cresslike leaves and edible and
| ornamental flowers. Some of our over-wintered ones in pots have
| been blooming again the past few days.
|
| I've never tried the leaves! Can't really bring myself to eat the
| flowers.

The leaves are really peppery, and it's not too late to plant
nasturtiums. They're far from the most beautiful flowers ijn the
world--nothing subtle about that coloring!--but the seeds do
unfailingly germinate and no pests (or cats) seem to be at all
interested in the plants. Some of the trailing/climbing ones
overwintered in pots have begun to floom this week.

Old 19-03-2003, 09:32 PM
Rusty Mase

On Wed, 19 Mar 2003 19:59:05 GMT, "Texensis"
wrote:

Some of the trailing/climbing ones overwintered in
pots have begun to floom this week.

OK, so while I am out browsing on vines, Earl's nasturtiums are
flooming. This is a surprising newsgroup!

Rusty Mase

Old 19-03-2003, 10:32 PM
Texensis

"Rusty Mase" wrote in message
| On Wed, 19 Mar 2003 19:59:05 GMT, "Texensis"
| wrote:
|
| Some of the trailing/climbing ones overwintered in
| pots have begun to floom this week.
|
| OK, so while I am out browsing on vines, Earl's nasturtiums are
| flooming. This is a surprising newsgroup!
|
| Rusty Mase

They could have been glooming....it's all in the keyboard proximity!

Old 20-03-2003, 06:56 AM
Karen

"Texensis" wrote in
:
At certain times of the year, or maybe even always, some cats
like to eat some green things, and do so!

Oh, whew, I thought you were talking about something more sinister!
I have had this cat for 3 months, and I still don't know where she
poops. She does like to lie in the lemon balm but I don't know that
she eats it.

| I've never tried the leaves! Can't really bring myself to eat
| the flowers.

The leaves are really peppery, and it's not too late to plant
nasturtiums. They're far from the most beautiful flowers ijn the
world--nothing subtle about that coloring!--but the seeds do
unfailingly germinate and no pests (or cats) seem to be at all
interested in the plants. Some of the trailing/climbing ones
overwintered in pots have begun to floom this week.

Okay. Thanks for the suggestion.

Karen

Texel Greens PRIORPARK17 United Kingdom 2 05-04-2003 01:32 PM
Greens Karen Texas 13 05-04-2003 12:11 PM
warm weather greens Johnny Kuo North Carolina 1 15-03-2003 08:08 PM
beet greens zxcvbob Edible Gardening 1 01-02-2003 01:33 PM
Growing greens indoors JTULL5 Edible Gardening 5 28-01-2003 11:37 PM