Old 09-11-2005, 06:43 PM
cledus

Default Winter Rye Grass

What is the latest that one should plant winter rye in Austin? I'm
considering overseeding my St. Augustine lawn.
Old 10-11-2005, 03:04 AM
Cliff

One hour before the next rain.

om...

Old 10-11-2005, 03:08 PM
Jim

Winter rye will sprout anytime there is ample moisture AND the minimum
temperature is around 40F or less. Both must occur simultaneously.
Generally, there is no too late time in winter.

Winter rye doesn't fare too well in thick foliage soil like St. Augustine
grass, even if dormant. Meant more for bare or sparse foliage soil for
cover in winter.
--
Lil' Dave
Beware the rule quoters, the corp mindset, the Borg
om...

Old 07-12-2005, 07:31 PM posted to austin.gardening
Art

I sprinkled a lot of rye seed in two different ocasions on my backyard
here in San Antonio.
First time was in October, I used seed from last year, but very few
sprout.
So about 3 weeks ago I used new annual seed. Still few sprout.

Does it need to cover with soil? The bag says its OK just to spread it.

Thanks for any hints,
Art

Old 07-12-2005, 07:50 PM posted to austin.gardening
Gene

You just need a lot of cold, wet, icky days - it will
sprout & do just fine. I will probably seed some today myself :-)
It's been a weird & too warm year so far...

Gene

ups.com...

Old 07-12-2005, 09:00 PM posted to austin.gardening
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article . com,
"Art" wrote:

I sprinkled a lot of rye seed in two different ocasions on my backyard
here in San Antonio.
First time was in October, I used seed from last year, but very few
sprout.
So about 3 weeks ago I used new annual seed. Still few sprout.

Does it need to cover with soil? The bag says its OK just to spread it.

Thanks for any hints,
Art

Need lossa rain. :-)

This current weather should help.
--
Om.

Old 08-12-2005, 04:13 AM posted to austin.gardening
Jim

October, and even 3 weeks ago were too warm. And, we're purty much in a
drought right now. You need a few days where the temp is at least 40F for a
low or lower, and simultaneous drizzly rain.

Winter rye thrives well once started. Come spring, it dies. Its meant for
winter cover after the fields have been tilled over for the winter. Exposed
soil for the seed, not soil coverage is best.
--
Jonny
ups.com...

Old 08-12-2005, 05:45 PM posted to austin.gardening
Ray S. & Nayda Katzaman

cledus wrote:

What is the latest that one should plant winter rye in Austin? I'm
considering overseeding my St. Augustine lawn.

Cledus
You did not mention how big your yard is, or what your plans for the
winter are, but be prepared, very prepared to mow your winter rye. I'm
being sarcastic here, but does your mower, if a riding type, have a
good heater? I made the mistake of "winteryezing" my lawn some time
back (1 acre) and spent every other week on my riding mower.

Good luck,

Ray
South Austin, TX
===

Old 09-12-2005, 01:28 PM posted to austin.gardening
Jim

"Ray S. & Nayda Katzaman" wrote in message
cledus wrote:
What is the latest that one should plant winter rye in Austin? I'm
considering overseeding my St. Augustine lawn.
Cledus
You did not mention how big your yard is, or what your plans for the winter
are, but be prepared, very prepared to mow your winter rye. I'm being
sarcastic here, but does your mower, if a riding type, have a good heater?
I made the mistake of "winteryezing" my lawn some time back (1 acre) and
spent every other week on my riding mower.
Good luck,
Ray
South Austin, TX
===

Winter rye is like Johnson grass (weed to most people). Its a stalk type
grass. Not a surface crawler like Bermuda or St. Augustine. Its supposed
to be mowed very high, 4 or more inches. If you want it to return the
following year without seeding, let it grow to seed. Which is not very
possible if mowed for visual pleasure.
--
Jonny

Old 09-12-2005, 07:29 PM posted to austin.gardening
Gene

FYI - I let ~ one acre go to seed last year.
So far, little to none has sprouted.

Then again, it's just now getting wet & cold enough ...
we'll see ...

Gene

nk.net...

Old 10-12-2005, 06:41 AM posted to austin.gardening
cledus

Ray S. & Nayda Katzaman wrote:
cledus wrote:

What is the latest that one should plant winter rye in Austin? I'm
considering overseeding my St. Augustine lawn.

Cledus
You did not mention how big your yard is, or what your plans for the
winter are, but be prepared, _very prepared_ to mow your winter rye.
I'm being sarcastic here, but does your mower, if a riding type, have a
good heater? I made the mistake of "winteryezing" my lawn some time
back (1 acre) and spent every other week on my riding mower.

Good luck,

Ray
South Austin, TX
===

I have the standard small suburban lot. So not that big of a deal to
get some extra exercise mowing it (except with the recent cold weather -
brrr). I seeded a couple of weeks ago and it is coming up, especially
in some bare areas where the Augustine won't grow under the trees.
Thanks! -C
Old 16-12-2005, 07:15 PM posted to austin.gardening
Art

Well, one more week and only a few more little skinny grasses have
sprouted.
I hope is not something with the ground. We bought this house in
September and
since it had been vacant for more than 6 months, most of the existing
St. Augustin
grass had died. This is the reason I placed this winter grass so at
least is not
too muddy in rainy days.

Thanks and merry Christmas to all!

Art

Old 17-12-2005, 12:03 AM posted to austin.gardening
Gene

Hold on a little longer - we have not had enough rain
to sprout anything. If you plant it, they will sprout -
eventually :-)

Gene

oups.com...

Old 17-12-2005, 04:20 AM posted to austin.gardening
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article .com,
"Art" wrote:

Well, one more week and only a few more little skinny grasses have
sprouted.
I hope is not something with the ground. We bought this house in
September and
since it had been vacant for more than 6 months, most of the existing
St. Augustin
grass had died. This is the reason I placed this winter grass so at
least is not
too muddy in rainy days.

Thanks and merry Christmas to all!

Art

It's not been that wet and cold yet.
It should take off soon!
I'm going to plant mine fresh as soon as I get done raking all the
leaves and moving a lot of the rock I just had delivered. ;-)
--
Om.

Old 28-02-2006, 02:24 AM posted to austin.gardening
Latosha Washington

I don't know why people do this rye thing. I hate it and am always digging
up clumps that spread in from neighbors yards.

ups.com...