Old 27-03-2003, 02:44 AM
ratSenoL

Default little green caterpillars? or are they leafrollers?

Thanks for all the responses! I =think= I have IDed them as some kind
of leafrollers. They're like little green caterpillars or inch worms,
a little longer than a grain of rice, and they roll themselves into
the new leaves with some kind of silk/web. Both of the little oaks
are heavily infested now, and the first one has only a few whole
leaves left; the leafrollers have also found the roses. I think I'm
going to have to try the BT.

Oh well, at least I don't have leaf-cutter ants like my mother-in-law
down in the Valley!
Old 27-03-2003, 03:08 PM
Texensis

"ratSenoL" wrote in message
om...
| Thanks for all the responses! I =think= I have IDed them as some
kind
| of leafrollers. They're like little green caterpillars or inch
worms,
| a little longer than a grain of rice, and they roll themselves into
| the new leaves with some kind of silk/web.

[snip]

That's your i.d. They do behave like tiny inchworms, but they usually
do attract birds, which seem to regard them as a real treat.

Old 03-04-2003, 12:08 AM
DScott

If they (the leaves) are tied up with a silk/web material, then they might
be the "rose grubs" that are the larvae of the Tantrix Moth. The description
is the same as what you are seeing. They will eat their way out of the leaf
and can destroy a few surrounding leaves before they're through. I just pick
the leaves & destroy the worm/grub/larvae.