Old 23-02-2006, 09:49 AM
Registered User

Exclamation moss growth

Hello everyone

I hope that you can help me
I need to find out urgetnly how long does the moss grow - the usual moss that grows on the roofs and for what period
I searched all over the internet but I could find the info. the only thing I`ve found was that moss can grow 4-6 inches, but it didn`t say for what period of time?

Please help

Many thanks in advance
Old 24-02-2006, 04:11 AM posted to austin.gardening
harriswest

Default moss growth

--
nelli

Y'know, for some reason I'm reminded of the one about the guy who goes
into the lumberyard and asks for some two by fours. "How long do you
need them?" asks the clerk. "A long time," is the reply, "I'm buiding a
house!"

I'm guessing you mean ordinary green moss, not ball moss. It will
continue to grow indefinitely as long as conditions are right - moisture
and nutrients (the latter usually from your decaying wooden shingles).

If you are trying to stop a moss problem, you need to eliminate the
moisture or the nutrients, Q.E.D. Trimming trees back to admit more air
and light is usually sufficient. The other option is to replace wood
shingles with some sort of inorganic look-alike (some of these are
getting quite good).

You may have to use a chemical killer as a one-shot deal - bleach
solutions or copper compounds are what are generally used IIRC. There
are less organic options and there may be more organic options out there
that I'm not aware of, if that makes a difference to you. Power washers
damage roofs - don't be tempted. In any case, any treatment without
removing the moisture or nutrients will not be successful.
--
Mike Harris
Austin, TX
Old 24-02-2006, 09:19 AM
Registered User

Smile

Thank you Mike

moss growth nelli Australia 7 01-03-2006 11:19 PM
moss growth nelli North Carolina 1 01-03-2006 12:52 AM
moss growth nelli United Kingdom 3 23-02-2006 05:56 PM
moss growth nelli Gardening 1 23-02-2006 04:25 PM
[IBC] Moss dressing pots was : culitvating moss on a large scale Kev Bailey Bonsai 2 20-07-2005 04:59 PM