Old 05-04-2003, 11:09 AM
Gary Harper

Default Planting hedges

I have some Red Tipped Phenias in my yard that are about 5 or 6 feet tall.
They are too big for my taste and I want to replace them with some type of
short shrubs that I can keep at 2 to 3 feet tall.

When is a good time for planting shrubs?

Thanks,
Gary

Old 05-04-2003, 11:09 AM
animaux

Why not try our native dwarf yaupon holly? They grow to about 3 feet tall and
wide, form a really nice round shape and require very little water or fertilizer
once established. They are also not prone to any diseases or pest insects.

BTW, not trying to be "Miss Correction" but they are Red Tipped Photinia.

Old 05-04-2003, 11:09 AM
Texensis

"animaux" wrote in message
| Why not try our native dwarf yaupon holly? They grow to about 3
feet tall and
| wide, form a really nice round shape and require very little water
or fertilizer
| once established. They are also not prone to any diseases or pest
insects.

| BTW, not trying to be "Miss Correction" but they are Red Tipped
Photinia.

| On Tue, 5 Nov 2002 08:03:50 -0600, "Gary Harper"
| wrote:
|
| I have some Red Tipped Phenias in my yard that are about 5 or 6
feet tall.
| They are too big for my taste and I want to replace them with some
type of
| short shrubs that I can keep at 2 to 3 feet tall.
|
| When is a good time for planting shrubs?
|
| Thanks,
| Gary

Once the ground dries out, now is not a bad time to plant. The dwarf
yaupon is very pretty and small birds like to nest in it also.

Old 05-04-2003, 11:09 AM
David Schanzle

Now is a good time to replace them, well actually when it dries up a little.
Now thru February is good. November is really good since the roots get a
chance to grow for half a year before it gets hot and really stresses them.

Old 05-04-2003, 11:09 AM
Gary Harper

Thanks. I will check into the dwarf yaupon holly.

Yep, I knew it was "Photinia". I momentarily forgot, though. Thanks for
the correction.

Gary

Old 05-04-2003, 11:09 AM
animaux

On Tue, 05 Nov 2002 14:47:05 GMT, "Texensis"
wrote:

Once the ground dries out, now is not a bad time to plant. The dwarf
yaupon is very pretty and small birds like to nest in it also.

Yes, I get a few pair of Carolina Wrens every spring. Also the mockingbirds,
which eat grasshoppers voraciously!

They are also very inexpensive in one gallon containers at about $3.50 a piece.
It's worth the wait since a three gallon is 15 dollars and the one gallon will
be that large in just one year.
Old 05-04-2003, 11:09 AM
J Kolenovsky

Yes! Replace that overused, exotic poop with native plants like yaupon,
Dahoon holly, Possomhaw, Texas Mountain Laurel, Mexican Bush sage,
Autumn sage (salvia greggii) and a host of others, to mention a few.
I have over 116 links at:http://www.hal-pc.org/~garden for browsing.

Here's a list of stuff I put in since last fall:

Plant inventory - =

Perennials =B7 Asclepias tuberosa, Butterflyweed =B7 Teucrium
Germander =B7 Salvia
greggii, Autumn or Cherry Sage =B7 Salvia coccinea, Tropical or
Red Salvia =B7 Salvia
regla, Mountain Sage =B7 Salvia roemeriana, Cedar sage =B7 Salvia=

nemorosa =B7 Salvia
uligulosa, Bog Salvia =B7 Salvia microphylla =B7 Salvia
blepharophylla =B7 Salvia van houtii =B7
Salvia leucantha, Mexican Bush Sage =B7 Salvia texana =B7 Salvia
elegans =B7 Salvia
sinaloensis =B7 Yarrow =B7 Verbena =B7 Echinacea purpurea, Purple=

Coneflower =B7
Sophora tomentosa Yellow sophora, Gulf Coast Laurel =B7 Ruellia =B7=

Frogfruit =B7 Texas
Betony =B7 Lobelia cardinalis, Cardinal flower =B7 Canna, Dwarf
canna =B7 Copper
Canyon Daisy =B7 Blue Tuscan Rosemary =B7 Aster =B7 Phlox

Marsh plants =B7 Umbrella Palm =B7 Pennywort =B7 Bacopa =B7 Catta=
il =B7
Longwood Canna =B7
Wedelia hispida, Zexmania =B7 Louisiana Iris =B7 Wood violet =B7
Chameleon Plant =B7
Japanese Iris

Trees =B7 Quercus nigra ,Water Oak =B7 Sapium ,Chinese Tallow =B7=

Cercis canadensis,
Texas Redbud =B7 Persea borbonia, Redbay =B7 Sophora secundiflora=
,
Texas Mountain
Laurel =B7 Prunus mexicana, Mexican Plum =B7 Aesculus pavia, Texa=
Buckeye =B7
Parkinsonia aculeata, Retama =B7 Sassafras albidum

Shrubs =B7 Malphigia glabra, Barbados Cherry =B7 Callicarpa
americana, Beautyberry
=B7 Malvaviscus arboretum var. drummondii, Turk's Cap =B7 Lantana=

camera, West
Indian lantana =B7 Lantana horrida, Texas lantana =B7 Ilex Burfor=
Holly =B7 Pittosporum
tobra =B7 Ilex vomitoria, Yaupon =B7 Nandina domestica, Heavenly
Bamboo =B7 Ilex
cassine, Dahoon Holly =B7 Ilex decidua, Possumhaw Holly =B7
Leucophyllum, Texas
Sage, Cenizo =B7 Leucophyllum, Texas Sage variety, Green Cloud =B7=

Hesperaloe
parviflora, Red Yucca =B7 Cassia alata, Candlestick Plant =B7
Hamelia patens,
Hummingbird bush =B7 Chilopsis linearis, Desert Willow =B7
Anisacanthus quadrifidus,
var. wrightii, Flame Acanthus =B7 Azalea, Azalea "George L. Tabor=
"

Vines =B7 Crossvine =B7 Pink Jasmine =B7 White Grape =B7 Aristolo=
chia,
Pipevine =B7
Bougainvillea =B7 Passiflora coriacea, Batwing passionflower =B7
Passiflora coccinea,
Red passionflower =B7 Passiflora, Jeanette passionflower

Groundcover =B7 Shenandoah Switch Grass =B7 Penisteum? Red Dwarf
Bunnny Tail
Fountain Grass =B7 Penisteum? Black Fountain Grass =B7 Weeping Lo=
ve
Grass =B7 Rubus
trivialis Southern dewberry, Bramble =B7 Stipa, Mexican
feathergrass =B7 Bouteloua
curtipendula, Sideoats grama =B7 Muhlenbergia capillaris, Gulf
muhly =B7 Carex
Texnesis, Texas sedge =B7 Carex Glaucua, Blue sedge

Gary Harper wrote:
=

I have some Red Tipped Phenias in my yard that are about 5 or 6 feet ta=

ll.
They are too big for my taste and I want to replace them with some type=

of
short shrubs that I can keep at 2 to 3 feet tall.
=

When is a good time for planting shrubs?
=

Thanks,
Gary

-- =

J Kolenovsky, A+, Network +, MCP
=F4=BF=F4 - http://www.hal-pc.org/~garden/reference.html
Old 05-04-2003, 11:09 AM
Gary Harper

Thanks. Does anyone know of a good nursery around Pflugerville?

Gary

"J Kolenovsky" wrote in message
Yes! Replace that overused, exotic poop with native plants like yaupon,
Dahoon holly, Possomhaw, Texas Mountain Laurel, Mexican Bush sage,
Autumn sage (salvia greggii) and a host of others, to mention a few.
I have over 116 links at:http://www.hal-pc.org/~garden for browsing.

Here's a list of stuff I put in since last fall:

Plant inventory -

Perennials · Asclepias tuberosa, Butterflyweed · Teucrium
Germander · Salvia
greggii, Autumn or Cherry Sage · Salvia coccinea, Tropical or
Red Salvia · Salvia
regla, Mountain Sage · Salvia roemeriana, Cedar sage · Salvia
nemorosa · Salvia
uligulosa, Bog Salvia · Salvia microphylla · Salvia
blepharophylla · Salvia van houtii ·
Salvia leucantha, Mexican Bush Sage · Salvia texana · Salvia
elegans · Salvia
sinaloensis · Yarrow · Verbena · Echinacea purpurea, Purple
Coneflower ·
Sophora tomentosa Yellow sophora, Gulf Coast Laurel · Ruellia ·
Frogfruit · Texas
Betony · Lobelia cardinalis, Cardinal flower · Canna, Dwarf
canna · Copper
Canyon Daisy · Blue Tuscan Rosemary · Aster · Phlox

Marsh plants · Umbrella Palm · Pennywort · Bacopa · Cattail ·
Longwood Canna ·
Wedelia hispida, Zexmania · Louisiana Iris · Wood violet ·
Chameleon Plant ·
Japanese Iris

Trees · Quercus nigra ,Water Oak · Sapium ,Chinese Tallow ·
Cercis canadensis,
Texas Redbud · Persea borbonia, Redbay · Sophora secundiflora,
Texas Mountain
Laurel · Prunus mexicana, Mexican Plum · Aesculus pavia, Texas
Buckeye ·
Parkinsonia aculeata, Retama · Sassafras albidum

Shrubs · Malphigia glabra, Barbados Cherry · Callicarpa
americana, Beautyberry
· Malvaviscus arboretum var. drummondii, Turk's Cap · Lantana
camera, West
Indian lantana · Lantana horrida, Texas lantana · Ilex Burford
Holly · Pittosporum
tobra · Ilex vomitoria, Yaupon · Nandina domestica, Heavenly
Bamboo · Ilex
cassine, Dahoon Holly · Ilex decidua, Possumhaw Holly ·
Leucophyllum, Texas
Sage, Cenizo · Leucophyllum, Texas Sage variety, Green Cloud ·
Hesperaloe
parviflora, Red Yucca · Cassia alata, Candlestick Plant ·
Hamelia patens,
Hummingbird bush · Chilopsis linearis, Desert Willow ·
Anisacanthus quadrifidus,
var. wrightii, Flame Acanthus · Azalea, Azalea "George L. Tabor"

Vines · Crossvine · Pink Jasmine · White Grape · Aristolochia,
Pipevine ·
Bougainvillea · Passiflora coriacea, Batwing passionflower ·
Passiflora coccinea,
Red passionflower · Passiflora, Jeanette passionflower

Groundcover · Shenandoah Switch Grass · Penisteum? Red Dwarf
Bunnny Tail
Fountain Grass · Penisteum? Black Fountain Grass · Weeping Love
Grass · Rubus
trivialis Southern dewberry, Bramble · Stipa, Mexican
feathergrass · Bouteloua
curtipendula, Sideoats grama · Muhlenbergia capillaris, Gulf
muhly · Carex
Texnesis, Texas sedge · Carex Glaucua, Blue sedge

--
J Kolenovsky, A+, Network +, MCP
τΏτ - http://www.hal-pc.org/~garden/reference.html

Old 05-04-2003, 11:09 AM
animaux

If I were you I'd rip out that overused poop the Chinese tallow. It's clogging
our waterways and is an invasive spreader.

I'm going to be taking out all the N.domestica in the next few weeks. I wil use
evergreen shrubs like yaupon holly, loripedelum (non-native, but adapted non
invasive) and Texas sage. I like the contrast in colors.

Old 05-04-2003, 11:09 AM
animaux

Yes, actually. There is a really nice one on W. Pecan. I forgot the name off
hand, but it's on the south side of the street and is near where they were
making the road wider, if that helps.

Old 05-04-2003, 11:09 AM
John T. Jarrett

Yep, excepting the horribly invasive Tallow, a _very_ impressive list! And
yard....looks great.

One of the tiny, nearly unused Reed Parks on Lake Travis' north shore has
one large Chinese Tallow right on the edge of the water...and probably fifty
saplings within 20 feet of it. Bad sign for the Lake since those seeds float
so well.

Victoria, what's the diameter and height of the culms/trunks on the nandina?
Might be willing to help. Bonsai folks say they make good bonsai but I
haven't tried any yet and them pencil thin ones at the store, well, look
like a small grove of red pencils.

--

John T. Jarrett
http://logontexas.com

Old 05-04-2003, 11:09 AM
Karen Kay

"John T. Jarrett" wrote in
:
Victoria, what's the diameter and height of the culms/trunks on
the nandina? Might be willing to help. Bonsai folks say they
make good bonsai but I haven't tried any yet and them pencil
thin ones at the store, well, look like a small grove of red
pencils.

Ooh, I bet they do make good bonsai.
--
Karen
Old 05-04-2003, 11:09 AM
J Kolenovsky

You guys need to be aware of my plan. I am ridding the tallow by slowly
strangling them with vines as the Water Oaks, Dahoon Holly. Mexican Plum
and Redbay are coming up. The tallows are on the west side and 40 feet
tall. As the understory permanents come up and the tallows wane down. I
will have snag city for birds and insects. And the landscape goes
through a long-term conversion.

I have been to the Katy Prairie Conservancy to kill tallows with the
treatment developed by A&M. =

On the nandinas, yes, I am aware of how people feel about them. I have 4
and you can see from the pix, they have a nice contained hedgerow. They
and Tallow are NOT prescribed to my clients. =

http://www.hal-pc.org/~garden/dawna.jpg

animaux wrote:
=

[...]

exas
Buckeye =B7
Parkinsonia aculeata, Retama =B7 Sassafras albidum

Shrubs =B7 Malphigia glabra, Barbados Cherry =B7 Callicarpa
americana, Beautyberry
=B7 Malvaviscus arboretum var. drummondii, Turk's Cap =B7 Lant=

ana
camera, West
Indian lantana =B7 Lantana horrida, Texas lantana =B7 Ilex Bur=

ford

Old 05-04-2003, 11:09 AM
Terry Horton

On Wed, 6 Nov 2002 08:13:12 -0600, "John T. Jarrett"
wrote:

Yep, excepting the horribly invasive Tallow, a _very_ impressive list! And
yard....looks great.

One of the tiny, nearly unused Reed Parks on Lake Travis' north shore has
one large Chinese Tallow right on the edge of the water...and probably fifty
saplings within 20 feet of it. Bad sign for the Lake since those seeds float
so well.

Victoria, what's the diameter and height of the culms/trunks on the nandina?
Might be willing to help. Bonsai folks say they make good bonsai but I
haven't tried any yet and them pencil thin ones at the store, well, look
like a small grove of red pencils.

We have several hundred in all sizes. You're welcome to take all you
want.
Old 05-04-2003, 11:09 AM
J Kolenovsky

They make a fast fire fuel for the small chinese tile ovens and I think
they might make fuel cakes, also.

=

wrote:
=

[...]

Planting hedges etc. Ann Lancing United Kingdom 2 26-07-2010 06:01 PM
Planting Privet Hedges Mike Gardening 1 22-05-2007 11:47 PM
Planting shrubs for hedges Meldave Texas 1 01-02-2006 02:20 AM
Planting hedges now Bonsai John T. Jarrett Texas 3 05-04-2003 11:09 AM
Growing Roses through Beech hedges Grahame Fendle United Kingdom 3 25-11-2002 05:07 PM