Old 05-04-2003, 11:09 AM
John T. Jarrett

Default Black Spot, Sulphur & 'Organic Rose' Book

Over the spring I had borrowed an Organic Rose book that I gave back and
can't find.

It had a recipe for Sulphur powder for Black Spot.

Day before yesterday was the first day I'd seen my roses in bright light
for, what, a week? And they are covered. I'd got some powdered sulphur, but
now I can't remember what I was supposed to do with it...

tia!
--

John T. Jarrett
http://logontexas.com

Old 05-04-2003, 11:09 AM
animaux

If the sulfur is not labeled for use on roses, I wouldn't risk it. However,
they do sell a product which is organic at Lowes in their organic section. It's
called Bonide Remedy. It is labeled for fungal problems. A small container
cost about 10 dollars, but it works. Make sure you fully clean up all dropped
foliage around the rose when they lose their infected leaves. Add a nice layer
of a good compost and mulch. Since our roses bloom all winter, around here, I'd
say you can treat them now with no problem. If there are buds or blooms on the
plant, nip them off. Do not make multiple cuts on an infected plant with
unclean sequiturs. Dip them into 1 part bleach to 9 parts water, dry off each
time, then make another cut. Ounce of precaution thing...

Victoria

Old 05-04-2003, 11:09 AM
Steve Coyle

In regards to this message:
Over the spring I had borrowed an Organic Rose book that I gave back and
can't find.

It had a recipe for Sulphur powder for Black Spot.

Day before yesterday was the first day I'd seen my roses in bright light
for, what, a week? And they are covered. I'd got some powdered sulphur, but
now I can't remember what I was supposed to do with it...

tia!

Whatever you do, don't spill it in your garage. I used to use sulpher
on my Roses until I knocked over a bag in my garage. No matter what I
did I could not get the smell out of the garage. ( I hope the folks
who moved in after our family figured out a solution )
My wife ordered me to never have sulphur near our house or garden
again, but being a manly man I said : "Honey, let me explain
something..."
Who am I kidding, I can't even get away with that on the net. I will
never get to heft a bag of sulphur again. Sulphur is an anti-bacterial
agent which is why you put it on dead critters and black spot.
You use a very light dusting and I would not recommend using any
sulphur mix that wasn't formulated for Roses, because I don't know
what the critical mix is.

Steve Coyle
www.austingardencenter.com
Old 05-04-2003, 11:09 AM
Al Hanke

Sulphur is sulphur and dusting sulphur is dusting sulphur. As long as you
use dusting sulphur and not granular sulphur you should get the desired
results. Be careful with dusting sulphur in hot weather. Don't use it when
daytime temperatures exceed 85 F. It can burn. This is not a problem with
granular sulphur which is a product used more on lawn areas.

Dusting sulphur is also a good insecticide and controls a number of insect
problems. Now is a good time to use it as the weather has cooled down and
is very pleasant.

Al Hanke

Old 05-04-2003, 11:09 AM
Sibel D. Unalmis

Someone suggested me mixing 1TSP baking soda in 1 gallon of water and spray
the roses with it in cool season. Apparently it doesn't work in summer due
to heat. Now is good. I tried that last year, it seems to be working. But
it is not an immediate solution. You need to keep doing for several weeks
which I haven't.

Regards,
Sibel

Old 05-04-2003, 11:09 AM
animaux

Take a look at www.dirtdoctor.com for a better recipe. The way the baking soda
works is that, it changes the pH of the leaf surface making it inhospitable to
the black spot, and certain other fungal diseases.

Good cultural practices like using a lot of compost twice a year, along with a
thick (3") layer of mulch and a good fertilizer (like Sustane, Ladybug Brand or
Green Sense) will all add to the vigor of the plant.