Old 05-04-2003, 11:09 AM
Gary Harper

Default Bradford Pear Losing Bark

I write a about a week ago about my Bradford Pear losing bark. I took a
closer look and there are several holes under the loose bark. The holes are
about 1/8" in diamater. I bought some kind of pesticide oil from Home Depot
that I can spray with a sprayer and water hose. I have no idea if this will
work but I'll give it a try.

Also, should I do anything to the tree where the bark fell off to protect
the tree? Will the bark ever grow back or will my tree die next year?

Thanks,
Gary

Old 05-04-2003, 11:09 AM
animaux

You bought some kind of pesticide you can spray, but you don't even know if you
have pests? How will you know if the problem will be solved if you don't know
what you have?

Where is the tree bark coming off? If it's at the bottom is it possible you or
your landscaper is girdling it with the weed wacker aka lawn mower disease?

Old 05-04-2003, 11:09 AM
John T. Jarrett

He said he found holes...its going to be a borer.

Nothing you can do to get the wood back. Spray the insecticide in the hole
then plug the hole with some putty.

Depending on the size of the hole they made inside the tree, the tree may be
too weak and break, but if it hasn't yet and we've had plenty of wind, then
you are probably ok.

As long as the bark hasn't peeled off in a complete circle around the tree
(or more correctly - if they haven't bored under the bark all the way around
the tree where the thin layer of living vessels are) then the tree should be
able to keep moving the water up and the food down and keep growing.

Good luck!

--

John T. Jarrett
http://logontexas.com

Old 05-04-2003, 11:09 AM
animaux

Holes can also be from sapsuckers or a host of other birds. I don't know what
kind of oil he bought, but I'm not too sure it's labeled for use on borers.

Old 05-04-2003, 11:09 AM
Terry Horton

wrote:

I write a about a week ago about my Bradford Pear losing bark. I took a
closer look and there are several holes under the loose bark. The holes are
about 1/8" in diamater. I bought some kind of pesticide oil from Home Depot
that I can spray with a sprayer and water hose. I have no idea if this will
work but I'll give it a try.

If it's neem oil it can be used to fight borers. If it's dormant oil
it won't be of much use.

Look for fresh saw or gum deposits. Inject the neem oil as far into
the holes as possible, preferably with a catheter syringe (check at
medical supply stores). Cut away any gum deposits to get at the hole
underneath. You also can also try piercing the borers with a long
piece of wire. Repeat in a week, and again in the spring.

Also, should I do anything to the tree where the bark fell off to protect
the tree? Will the bark ever grow back or will my tree die next year?

There's nothing you can do to the wound itself. The tree should
partially cover the area with new growth, depending on how bad the
wound is. Probably the best thing you can do to support it is follow
Howard Garrett's sick tree treatment
http://www.dirtdoctor.com/article.asp?ID=1025

If it were me though, I'd be making plans to replace the tree. Borer
damage makes a tree even more susceptible to other stresses like
drought and high wind, even if it survives short-term.

Bradford Pear has offshoots all over User Example Texas 2 16-08-2005 12:49 AM
Bradford pear - suckers? [email protected] Gardening 3 02-05-2004 04:05 AM
Pruning a Bradford Pear Barry Texas 1 05-04-2003 11:10 AM
Barking coming off Bradford Pear Gary Harper Texas 1 05-04-2003 11:09 AM
Holes bored in a Bradford pear tree Lou Minatti Gardening 5 23-03-2003 03:08 PM