GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   What kind of critter steals bell peppers? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/texas/13563-what-kind-critter-steals-bell-peppers.html)

Carol Adams 05-04-2003 11:09 AM

What kind of critter steals bell peppers?

I live west of town on several acres and regularly see raccoons, squirrels,
rabbits, skunks, possums, and deer on my property (along with the occasional
fox and coyote). I have a couple of bell pepper plants that are now bearing,
which have gone completely unmolested since they were planted. However, this
week something absconded with my entire crop of four nice, almost-mature
peppers from these plants. The stems were broken off above where the fruits
were and there were no signs of uneaten material. It literally looks like
something broke the fruits off and either took them away or ate them
completely on the spot. The area where the peppers are is fenced, so it was
not deer, but I do have a skunk that comes around regularly (may even live
on my property) plus plenty of raccoons, rabbits, and possums that have
access to the planted area. Do skunks eat bell peppers? Do raccoons? I'm
really curious.

carol