Old 05-04-2003, 11:09 AM

Default need help with plants during this weather

hi folks i have a couple of plants that don't seem to be fairing to well
with the current weather and i need some help

aloe vera plant - a friend has some aloe vera and pulled some out of her pot
for me and i replanted then in new soil (specific for succulents) but with
the weather changes the outter leaves are looking 'jelly like' and turning
soft yellowish. i've no idea what i'm doing wrong. should i keep it indoors
instead of leaving it outside?

hibiscus - bought it from homedepot. has been flowring wonderfully but now
the leaves are turning yellow. it's real heavy to move around so it's
outside. does this need to be brought in for the austin 'winter'

pride of barbados - bought it at home depot as well, didn't really flower
all that much but now the leaves are all falling off. does this have to be
kept indoors as well?

thanks in advance!!!!!!

Old 05-04-2003, 11:09 AM
J Kolenovsky

" wrote:
=

hi folks i have a couple of plants that don't seem to be fairing to wel=

with the current weather and i need some help
=

aloe vera plant - a friend has some aloe vera and pulled some out of he=

r pot
for me and i replanted then in new soil (specific for succulents) but w=

ith
the weather changes the outter leaves are looking 'jelly like' and turn=

ing
soft yellowish. i've no idea what i'm doing wrong. should i keep it ind=

oors
instead of leaving it outside?

let it dry out a bit

=

hibiscus - bought it from homedepot. has been flowring wonderfully but =

now
the leaves are turning yellow. it's real heavy to move around so it's
outside. does this need to be brought in for the austin 'winter'

protect from freezing and exterme dampness (dry it out a bit , then
light water)
=

pride of barbados - bought it at home depot as well, didn't really flow=

er
all that much but now the leaves are all falling off. does this have to=

be
kept indoors as well?

Hardiness: USDA zone 8 - 11.
Propagation: seeds and cuttings.
Cultu full sun, well drained soil. Barbados
flower-fence is tolerant to
drought. =

Dwarf poinciana is winter hardy to 30=B0 F.,
although it can survive
temperatures
down to 20=B0 F.
In zone 8 , it is a returning perennial.
Frost is a hazard to the young plant.
This decorative flowering tree is widely
planted in South Florida.
In cooler climates it can be grown as a annual. =

=

thanks in advance!!!!!!

-- =

J Kolenovsky, A+, Network +, MCP
=F4=BF=F4 - http://www.hal-pc.org/~garden/reference.html
Old 05-04-2003, 11:09 AM
animaux

On Wed, 04 Dec 2002 15:51:49 GMT, "
wrote:

hi folks i have a couple of plants that don't seem to be fairing to well
with the current weather and i need some help

aloe vera plant - a friend has some aloe vera and pulled some out of her pot
for me and i replanted then in new soil (specific for succulents) but with
the weather changes the outter leaves are looking 'jelly like' and turning
soft yellowish. i've no idea what i'm doing wrong. should i keep it indoors
instead of leaving it outside?

If it's turning jelly like, it's been hit by way too cold air. You can bring it
back indoors, remove the dead tissue and see if you can get more to grow from
the roots. Do NOT over water it.

hibiscus - bought it from homedepot. has been flowring wonderfully but now
the leaves are turning yellow. it's real heavy to move around so it's
outside. does this need to be brought in for the austin 'winter'

If the foliage was dark green and shiny, it will not survive winter here. If
the foliage was a matt green, much lighter in color, it is hardy.

pride of barbados - bought it at home depot as well, didn't really flower
all that much but now the leaves are all falling off. does this have to be
kept indoors as well?

http://www.tropilab.com/caesal-pul.html

thanks in advance!!!!!!

Old 05-04-2003, 11:09 AM
B.Server

On Wed, 04 Dec 2002 15:51:49 GMT, "
wrote:

hi folks i have a couple of plants that don't seem to be fairing to well
with the current weather and i need some help

aloe vera plant - a friend has some aloe vera and pulled some out of her pot
for me and i replanted then in new soil (specific for succulents) but with
the weather changes the outter leaves are looking 'jelly like' and turning
soft yellowish. i've no idea what i'm doing wrong. should i keep it indoors
instead of leaving it outside?

As others have posted, get it drier and remove the damaged leaves.

hibiscus - bought it from homedepot. has been flowring wonderfully but now
the leaves are turning yellow. it's real heavy to move around so it's
outside. does this need to be brought in for the austin 'winter'

Most years, tropical hibiscus will survive the urban Austin winter if
sheltered, but will look like the devil as soon as they get a blast of
cold (45F) air. I keep a cool greenhouse and typically allow my
outdoor hibiscus to chill and lose their leaves. Then I trim them
back and overwinter them in the coolest part of the greenhouse to
encourage them to not put out too many stunted leaves. If you protect
them from cold and have a way to give them lots of light, they will
bloom most of the winter. Example. The one on my south facing porch
has one side (toward the house) still growing while the other looks
like it was torched. Tonight it will get trimmed and stored for the
winter.

pride of barbados - bought it at home depot as well, didn't really flower
all that much but now the leaves are all falling off. does this have to be
kept indoors as well?

I haven't a clue.

thanks in advance!!!!!!

Old 05-04-2003, 11:09 AM
Texensis

B.Server wrote in message
| On Wed, 04 Dec 2002 15:51:49 GMT, "
| wrote:
|
| hi folks i have a couple of plants that don't seem to be fairing to
well
| with the current weather and i need some help

snip?|
| pride of barbados - bought it at home depot as well, didn't really
flower
| all that much but now the leaves are all falling off. does this
have to be
| kept indoors as well?
|

| I haven't a clue.

Our Pride of Barbadoes is in the ground. Some years it puts out new
leaves on the old stems in the spring; some years it doesn't. When it
doesn't, we cut it back and it send up new shoots, which eventually
produce new leaves and flowers.

Old 05-04-2003, 11:09 AM
J Kolenovsky

Pride of Barbados