Old 05-04-2003, 11:09 AM
animaux

Default Nail-biting time

On Thu, 05 Dec 2002 21:47:46 GMT, Karen Kay wrote:

Is *one* freeze going to kill all the vegetable I have out there?
Will covering them with plastic help them survive longer? What do I
do with the green tomatoes? Is fresh lettuce a thing of the past?

Say goodbye to the green tomatoes and fry em up. Plastic is the worst thing to
cover things with. I cover my plants with burlap, old sheets, Remay and on top
of THAT I put some plastic.

Lettuce should be okay, but cover it to be sure. This is a cold front and you
can always throw out lettuce or any lettuce mix seeds when it warms up
again...and it will warm up.

I hate this cold.
Old 05-04-2003, 11:09 AM
cat daddy

"Karen Kay" wrote in message
0...
animaux wrote in
:
Say goodbye to the green tomatoes and fry em up.

:-/

Plastic is the
worst thing to cover things with. I cover my plants with
burlap, old sheets, Remay and on top of THAT I put some plastic.

Okay. I'll try that.

Lettuce should be okay, but cover it to be sure. This is a cold
front and you can always throw out lettuce or any lettuce mix
seeds when it warms up again...and it will warm up.

I hate this cold.

Me, too. My tomato plants are butt-ugly--they grew nearly 9' tall
and I trimmed them back, but they are still kind of straggly.
Anyway, they still have lots of flowers and new tomatoes and I'm so
*proud* of them, I don't want them to die!!! (I know I'm being
silly--it's the first time I've grown vegetables in my own yard.)

I'm hoping the freeze didn't kill off the blossoms on my loquat tree like it
did in the Spring. $Deity knows why the damn thing decided to bud out this
late, but the fragrance was welcome and the bees had something to collect.
No ice in the water dishes this morning, so I may have dodged a bullet.

Old 05-04-2003, 11:09 AM
Terry Horton

On Fri, 06 Dec 2002 02:16:42 GMT, animaux wrote:

On Thu, 05 Dec 2002 21:47:46 GMT, Karen Kay wrote:

Is *one* freeze going to kill all the vegetable I have out there?
Will covering them with plastic help them survive longer? What do I
do with the green tomatoes? Is fresh lettuce a thing of the past?

Say goodbye to the green tomatoes and fry em up. Plastic is the worst thing to
cover things with. I cover my plants with burlap, old sheets, Remay and on top
of THAT I put some plastic.

On especially cold nights, or if it's windy, seal the bottom of you
cover with rocks, old, boards, etc. Covering plants works primarily by
trapping heat radiating up from the ground.

That final layer of plastic will help a lot on cold, windy days. Make
sure to pull it off if the sun is out next morning.
Old 05-04-2003, 11:09 AM
God Bless Texas

Since the Texans scored their last touchdown, animaux saw fit to opine:

On Thu, 05 Dec 2002 21:47:46 GMT, Karen Kay wrote:

Is *one* freeze going to kill all the vegetable I have out there?
Will covering them with plastic help them survive longer? What do I
do with the green tomatoes? Is fresh lettuce a thing of the past?

Say goodbye to the green tomatoes and fry em up. Plastic is the worst
thing to
cover things with. I cover my plants with burlap, old sheets, Remay
and on top of THAT I put some plastic.

Lettuce should be okay, but cover it to be sure. This is a cold front
and you can always throw out lettuce or any lettuce mix seeds when it
warms up again...and it will warm up.

I hate this cold.

You don't have to fry up the green tomatoes. Pick them and put them on
a windowsill, not too much sun exposure but some.

They slowly (over *months*) ripen, and taste better than the hothouse
slop you get in the store.

Try it - we didn't believe it, but tried it two years ago, now every
fall we strip the plants right before the first serious freeze and
decorate our kitchen windows with them. We've only had two rot in two
years, out of like forty or fifty.

--
All Chat no Cattle
Old 05-04-2003, 11:09 AM
Rusty Mase

On Fri, 06 Dec 2002 23:21:55 GMT, God Bless Texas
wrote:

You don't have to fry up the green tomatoes. Pick them and put them on
a windowsill, not too much sun exposure but some.

You can also pickle them using the standard hot vinegar and spice mix.
They are as good as dilled pickles.

Rusty Mase

Bostitch C5R80BDG Thickcoat 1-3/4-Inch by .080-Inch by 15 Degree Ring Shank Coil Siding Nail (4,200 per Box) [email protected] Edible Gardening 0 22-05-2009 02:13 AM
Liquid Nail bk Orchids 12 11-11-2004 10:57 AM
Biting the Bullet on Pesticides...Opinions, Please Diana Kulaga Orchids 15 23-07-2003 06:02 AM
nail holes in liner Michael Shaffer Ponds 1 06-04-2003 09:56 PM