Old 05-04-2003, 11:10 AM
Rusty Mase

Default Climbing Roses

I planted a Lady Banks last year and although it seems to do well - it
has little or no aroma to the flowers. My wife notes this.

I need to plant some more climbing roses which I hope to trellis
across the top of a short section of privacy fence.

Is there a small-leaved climbing rose like Lady Banks whose flowers
smell great? Also, I hope I got the Lady Banks name right. I am not
much of a rose man.

Rusty Mase
Old 05-04-2003, 11:10 AM
animaux

I have a 'Sombruiel' which blooms spring, summer, fall and if warm, winter.
Flowers are very pale pink, tight old fashioned rose flowers with intense
fragrance.

Lady Banksia only blooms once in spring.

Old 05-04-2003, 11:10 AM
Rusty Mase

On Tue, 17 Dec 2002 15:33:50 GMT, animaux wrote:

I have a 'Sombruiel' which blooms spring, summer, fall and if warm, winter.
Flowers are very pale pink, tight old fashioned rose flowers with intense
fragrance.

I think you mentioned that flowering capability in a previous post and
that sounds good. The Lady Banks I have with yellow flowers shows no
attempt to flower except in the Spring, as you note. Chuck emailed me
that Antique Rose Emporium near Brenham has a white flowering one that
is fragrant.

Thanks, everybody. I need to get these in soon. I think I will put
out a potpourri of climbing types, excluding another Lady Banks. As
an aside, I do like that one as I have trellis it to form a mounded
shape much like the large clumps of wild roses I played under as a kid
in East Texas. I can't do a mound along a fence, though.

Rusty Mase

Are climbing roses more suseptable to disease? GamePlayer No. 1058 Roses 6 20-05-2003 05:56 AM
Climbing Yellow roses for a fence TripFarmer Roses 4 19-03-2003 04:32 AM
Climbing Roses Vickie Andersen Roses 2 07-03-2003 06:32 PM
Climbing Roses KAren Jones Roses 7 04-03-2003 04:39 PM
Combining Roses with climbing vines Huskies4all Roses 9 18-02-2003 07:15 PM