GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   red ants that are attracted to water (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/texas/13588-red-ants-attracted-water.html)

Jonathan R. 05-04-2003 11:10 AM

red ants that are attracted to water

I have noticed some red ants in my house that seem to be attracted to
water. I find them in my sink or bathtub from time to time, and never
in very large numbers, usually about 15-25 ants at a time. These ants
don't seem to travel in trails like I have seen ants do before. I
can't find the source of the ants, and they seem to ignore ant traps
that I bought. I tried putting ant traps in the bathtub at night to
see if they would take the bait, but they are more interested in
water. I don't think they are fire ants because I let some crawl on my
hand and they did not bite me. Any idea on what these are? I haven't
seen them around as much since winter hit.

Jonathan

Marcesent 05-04-2003 11:10 AM

red ants that are attracted to water

Are they big? Like 1/4 inch or so? They could be carpenter ants, which
could also mean you have a water leak in your house. Or else they're just
coming in and looking around.

---marce