Old 05-04-2003, 12:10 PM
J Kolenovsky

Default Decomposed granite

Has anyone made a walkway/path with this material?

J. Kolenovsky

http://www.celestialhabitats.com

http://www.hal-pc.org/~garden
-- =

J Kolenovsky, A+, Network +, MCP
=F4=BF=F4 - http://www.hal-pc.org/~garden/reference.html
Old 05-04-2003, 12:10 PM
J Kolenovsky

I don't know when I'll be in Austin next, but I told Steve I'd try to
stop by.

J. Kolenovsky

http://www.celestialhabitats.com

animaux wrote:
=

I plan to use this. Once again like a broken record, they have decompo=

sed
granite paths at The Natural Gardener. If you haven't been there, you =

need to
go! They have everything for every serious gardener. Great tools, gre=

at
plants, great staff.
=

On Wed, 01 Jan 2003 09:23:49 -0600, J Kolenovsky wr=

ote:
=

Old 05-04-2003, 12:10 PM
gruber

"animaux" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 01 Jan 2003 17:34:55 GMT, Karen Kay wrote:

Really inconvenient location, though.

What do you mean by inconvenient? I live in very uppermost east Round
Rock. It
takes me 1/2 to 3/4 hour to get there and I go about once every few months

just
to cruise their gardens, see what's blooming, what's dormant.

The drive from Mopac down Southwest Parkway is soothing to me. It's in

the
hills and has myriad native plants along the drive. I love it's location.

Of course, if you already live in Oak Hill like I do, it is extremely
convenient. I drop by frequently just to get ideas.

Old 05-04-2003, 12:10 PM
J Kolenovsky

I have had some good feedback from 3-4 of ya'll. Now that the mulch
floor is in, I can start planning a granite path for the wheelchaired
visitors at the school. I agree with 2 of ya'll about stuff sprouting
in the granite. I like that too. But I will have to not do that as it is
a public place. =

http://www.hal-pc.org/~garden/Dscn0819a.jpg

=

Old 05-04-2003, 12:10 PM
Robbin

Back when I was working in construction, we did a house for a wheelchair
bound person which had decomposed granite paths in the garden. I was not
involved in that part of the project, but as I recall they laid
approximately 3" - 4" of granite in layers and compacted it with one of
those tamping machines like they use when preparing an area for concrete
pavers. One thing to note, it still made pretty deep ruts with the
wheelchair after it had been raining. I would suggest making sure that there
was good drainage away from the paths to keep the water saturation to a
minimum.

τΏτ - http://www.hal-pc.org/~garden/reference.html

Old 05-04-2003, 12:10 PM
J Kolenovsky

Drainage is a good tip. I have never done this before. What do you think
of this? The ground is level clay and is covered with 2 inches of mulch.
On top of this mulch, I will place 1'x4"X4" brick. That gives me 6
inches to play with. I could remove the mulch and put 2 inches of pea
gravel and then 4 inches of granite, wet and tamp down with roller.(in
layers) The granite would be 2 inches off the ground on pea gravel and
side insulated by brick.

=

Old 05-04-2003, 12:10 PM
J Kolenovsky

Victor, I remove the mulch, level the grade and put down 3-4" of
granite? (layered, dampened and tamped with roller) That would give me a
lip on the brick of about 2-3". I had 2 people respond directly to me
(offline ng) and said they got ruts because of poor drainage. I want to
do this for ADA but I don't want to kill myself as its a volunteer job
to build goodwill and reputation and future orders.

"Victor M. Martinez" wrote:
=

J Kolenovsky wrote:
On top of this mulch, I will place 1'x4"X4" brick. That gives me 6
inches to play with. I could remove the mulch and put 2 inches of pea
gravel and then 4 inches of granite, wet and tamp down with roller.(i=

=

You absolutely should remove the mulch, you don't want decomposing stuf=

underneath the granite. Granite by itself has excellent drainage, you
don't need pea gravel.
=

--
Victor M. Martinez | The University of Texas at Austi=

| Department of Chemical Engineerin=

http://www.che.utexas.edu/~martiv | Austin, TX 7871=
2
If we knew what we were doing it would not be called research, would it=

?

-- =

Old 05-04-2003, 12:10 PM
J Kolenovsky

Hey, 2 lincolns are still negotiable. Cool. I can grade the clay to one
side. Do I grade the granite also? =

=

"Victor M. Martinez" wrote:

Granite has exellent drainage. However, if it's laid on top of a materi=

al
with poor drainage and it rains a lot and there's nowhere for the water=

go to, all the drainage in the world won't help you. The only way to ke=

ep
water from accumulating when you put stuff on top of clay is to build a=

french drain to take the water away. Or build with a grade to let water=

run.
=

My $0.02. =