Old 05-04-2003, 12:11 PM
Brian Clifton

Default Leaning Youpon Holly "Pride of Houston"

I have an interesting situation where three hollys are leaning heavily to
the south. They are on either side of the steps up to the house and the
other side is straight. They only get afternoon sun. I have tried tieing
them back to the railing with landscape tape, but to no avail. I keep them
topped out at about 7', it seems the shorter they are the straighter they
stay. I would really like to grow them another foot or two.

Who has an idea on how, or of these can be straightened?

Thanks, Brian

Old 05-04-2003, 12:11 PM
Babberney

On Thu, 20 Mar 2003 01:45:22 GMT, "Brian Clifton"
wrote:

I have an interesting situation where three hollys are leaning heavily to
the south. They are on either side of the steps up to the house and the
other side is straight. They only get afternoon sun. I have tried tieing
them back to the railing with landscape tape, but to no avail. I keep them
topped out at about 7', it seems the shorter they are the straighter they
stay. I would really like to grow them another foot or two.

Who has an idea on how, or of these can be straightened?

Thanks, Brian

If you tie them back, they will always be dependent on the string.
It's likely they will continue to grow crooked if they have one-sided
light, but just keep pruning back the stuff that grows the wrong way
and leave the upright part to grow. In low light, they may be getting
leggy, which would tend to cause them to flop over, but eventually the
straight part may get stocky enough to suppor the weight of a taller
top.

Keith
For more info about the International Society of Arboriculture, please visit http://www2.champaign.isa-arbor.com/.
For consumer info about tree care, visit http://www2.champaign.isa-arbor.com/.../consumer.html

Yaupon Holly (and other holly questions) Susan Hogarth North Carolina 5 11-01-2005 06:16 PM
Pride of Barbados Chuck Texas 6 22-07-2004 05:07 PM
Pride & Joy Graham Ramsay Freshwater Aquaria Plants 1 20-04-2003 07:10 AM
Leaning Youpon Holly "Pride of Houston" Brian Clifton Texas 1 21-03-2003 02:56 AM
Transplanting Pride of India Maryanne Gardening 0 13-02-2003 03:55 AM