Old 05-04-2003, 11:11 AM
animaux

Default Lucky bamboo?

On Fri, 21 Mar 2003 01:21:28 GMT, "seller" wrote:

A betta is a fish and contrary to popular belief they are not happy eating
plant roots. They're carnivorous and need proper food.

http://www.bettasrus.com/faq/basic_care.htm

I was in Walmart last week, the death chamber for Betta's, and this woman was buying
two of them to put into a tiny bowl at work. Not only will they kill each other, but
she said her mother has one and she never, ever feeds it.

Amazing the stupidity out there. Boggles the mind.

We have an aquarium and we have about 10 fish in it. Sure, we could put more in
there, but why? I don't even like having a fish tank because of the confined
feeling to the fish. At least they are tiny tetras.
Old 05-04-2003, 11:11 AM
Hope Munro Smith

animaux wrote in
:

wrote:

A betta is a fish and contrary to popular belief they are not happy
eating plant roots. They're carnivorous and need proper food.

http://www.bettasrus.com/faq/basic_care.htm

I was in Walmart last week, the death chamber for Betta's, and this
woman was buying two of them to put into a tiny bowl at work. Not
only will they kill each other, but she said her mother has one and
she never, ever feeds it.

Amazing the stupidity out there. Boggles the mind.

Maybe someone should invent robotic fish for stupid people like this!

We have an aquarium and we have about 10 fish in it. Sure, we could
put more in there, but why? I don't even like having a fish tank
because of the confined feeling to the fish. At least they are tiny
tetras.

That's among the many reasons I don't have a fish tank. The others are
related to the general upkeep of the thing.

until soon, Hope
Old 05-04-2003, 11:11 AM
Steve Wertz

On Fri, 21 Mar 2003 20:18:16 +0000 (UTC), Hope Munro Smith
wrote:

That's among the many reasons I don't have a fish tank. The others are
related to the general upkeep of the thing.

I don't keep fish because I don't think they're happy. Or sad.

shrug

-sw

Old 05-04-2003, 11:11 AM
Karen

animaux wrote in
:
I was in Walmart last week, the death chamber for Betta's,

I'm afraid that's where mine came from. Though it looks pretty
healthy.

Not only will they kill each other, but she said her
mother has one and she never, ever feeds it.

I can actually understand this. I don't think that mine has eaten
anything I've put in the water. My other fish go after the food,
but this one doesn't.

We have an aquarium and we have about 10 fish in it. Sure, we
could put more in there, but why? I don't even like having a
fish tank because of the confined feeling to the fish. At least
they are tiny tetras.

And they school! Sort of. I like schooling fish.

Karen
Old 05-04-2003, 11:11 AM
Steve Wertz

On Sat, 22 Mar 2003 05:39:54 GMT, Karen
wrote:

animaux wrote in
:
I was in Walmart last week, the death chamber for Betta's,

I'm afraid that's where mine came from. Though it looks pretty
healthy.

Not only will they kill each other, but she said her
mother has one and she never, ever feeds it.

I can actually understand this. I don't think that mine has eaten
anything I've put in the water. My other fish go after the food,
but this one doesn't.

My experiences with bettas is that you feed them with smaller fish
from WalMart and PetCo (near Hong Kong Market). Bettas inhale the
smaller fish like there's no tomorrow. That's what they like to eat.

-sw

Old 05-04-2003, 11:11 AM
Hope Munro Smith

In article ,
Steve Wertz wrote:

On Fri, 21 Mar 2003 16:06:15 +0000 (UTC), Hope Munro Smith
wrote:

Thanks for the explanation! Haven't owned fish since I was a kid,
and probably never will again because they are just too much work plus they
don't sit in your lap and purr!

*Good* Answer! Louie Anderson-Style

I miss my cat.

-sw sigh - blushing

Aw, maybe you could get yourself one in SC!
Old 05-04-2003, 11:11 AM
Steve Wertz

On Sun, 23 Mar 2003 01:14:16 GMT, "WSZsr"
wrote:

Saw my first one in Round Rock yesterday.

You never saw a cat?!

-sw

.. .

Old 05-04-2003, 11:11 AM
Steve Coyle

Howdy folks,
In regards to 'Lucky Bamboo' :

Probably more like the bamboo is just something else in the bowl as a point
of interest. I hadn't thought of it, but something like that could make a
nice arrangement. Doesn't seem like it would hurt the fish as long as he was
kept fed. Could make it a little harder to change the water though.

I wanted to mention that 'Lucky Bamboo' is actually a Dracena
cutting, and not actually Bamboo ( Another plant that is not a Bamboo
is "Heavenly Bamboo" a cultivar of Nandina. )
Since someone mentioned Howards as a source, they do keep them in
stock and if you get them there say hi to good old, Robin who is one
of the owners from Steve.
I'm seeing them all over the place, Central Market, and the Asian
Market at Airport and Lamar.
By the way the curly ones don't do that naturally, that involves
binding with light floral wire, and turning them over time to the
light. If you stick one of them in a window the new growth will just
grow towards the light.
I don't particularly like 'Lucky Bamboo' but It's popular with the
Feng Shuei crowd, and I learned to be carefull with those folks ( Once
I ticked one off and they came to my house and rearranged all my
furniture pointing in the wrong direction )

take care,
Steve Coyle
www.austingardencenter.com
Old 05-04-2003, 11:11 AM
John T. Jarrett

My wife's picked up several for me on her trips to Wal-Mart lately.

Side note: my sister-in-law works in their cash office. She said they are
getting two trucks of plants per day just to keep up. And on Saturday
morning, they did $30,000 in plant sales alone.

Wow.

--

John T. Jarrett
http://logontexas.com
"Karen" wrote in message
Does anyone know where I can buy some of this for pretty cheap?
(Under $5 would be best.)

I did a favor for someone and in return they gave me a betta; I'd
like to to put it in a vase with some Lucky Bamboo.

Karen

What's wrong with my lucky bamboo? Alwyn Williams United Kingdom 2 18-07-2007 11:17 AM
Lucky bamboo at Hong Kong market Hope Munro Smith Texas 15 27-05-2003 08:20 PM
Lucky Bamboo Merrill Speeter Gardening 18 15-04-2003 12:32 PM
Lucky bamboo? Karen Texas 5 27-03-2003 09:56 AM
Lucky Bamboo Indoor Plant TheresaKyn Bamboo 1 10-03-2003 08:24 AM