GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   fire ants in veggie garden (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/texas/13760-fire-ants-veggie-garden.html)

Michelle Ryan 05-04-2003 11:11 AM

fire ants in veggie garden

I started preparing my garden beds for my veggies and have discovered that
both beds have become the home to fire ants. I need a non-toxic (I will be
eating what grows in that soil!) way to get rid of them. Anyone have any
suggestions? This /is/ Texas, so I'm sure someone out there has had this
same problem.

Fire ants....I hate them!

~ Michelle Ryan

John T. Jarrett 05-04-2003 11:11 AM

fire ants in veggie garden

www.dirtdoctor.com is Howard Garrett's website - organic landscape architect
up Dallas way. He has a couple mixes for fire ants that all include orange
oil and, like everything on his site, are non-toxic.

--

John T. Jarrett
http://logontexas.com
. ..

animaux 05-04-2003 11:11 AM

fire ants in veggie garden

Yes, and you keep calling things non-toxic. They ARE toxic, but they are
natural. Wording is important when referring to poisons. All poisons are
toxic, even natural ones. Arsenic is natural, but I'd never call it non-toxic.

Not trying to be argumentative, but for people beginning an organic program,
these terms are key.

On Tue, 25 Mar 2003 19:36:41 -0600, "John T. Jarrett" wrote:

Yes - didn't we just have this conversation?

:)

That website's stuff (and his books - I have Organic Manual by Howard
Garrett) are as non-toxic as recipes go that I've seen. He doesn't, for
instance, give instructions on Sulphur for use.