Old 08-03-2006, 06:41 PM posted to austin.gardening
jOhN

Default Oak leaf blizzard leads to pool plunge

When it rains it pours...........a row of live oaks up and dropped about
half their leaves yesterday morning - right into my pool due to the
gusty southernly breeze :-( About 1/3 the surface was covered.

My 10 month old adolescent Boston Terrier must have thought I had filled
in the pool as she took a stroll across the floating leaf mat. And got
about 1 foot in - kersplash! - I was right there so she was immediately
rescued even though she seemed to be holding her own. Fortunately the
water's already about 68F and she got dried off pretty quick in the warm
air.

She's been looking at the pool a bit differently now but doesn't seem
frightened of it. We had a big shallow step put in so any squirrels or
our dogs would have a place to climb out if they fell in. Our dogs will
be getting more familiar with when it gets warm enough for humans to
provide in-pool backup :-)

Small kids or animals may not recognize the leaf mat for what it is.
Since the leaf drop can happen so quickly pool and pond owners may want
to make accommodations.
Old 09-03-2006, 11:53 AM posted to austin.gardening
Jonny

All is short-lived. Should be through dropping leaves in about a week or
so. My live oaks are doing the same thing right now.
Just wondering what you do with the leaves, in the pool or on the ground?
--
Jonny
et...

Old 09-03-2006, 02:03 PM posted to austin.gardening
BJ in Texas

Jonny wrote:
|| All is short-lived. Should be through dropping leaves in
|| about a week or so. My live oaks are doing the same thing
|| right now.
|| Just wondering what you do with the leaves, in the pool or on
|| the ground? --
|| Jonny

Big batch of compost tea? :-)

--
"If guns kill people I can blame misspelled words on my pencil."
-- Larry the Cable Guy

Old 10-03-2006, 02:42 AM posted to austin.gardening
jOhN

Jonny wrote:
All is short-lived. Should be through dropping leaves in about a week or
so. My live oaks are doing the same thing right now.
Just wondering what you do with the leaves, in the pool or on the ground?

I have a lot of paths in my yard that absorb plenty of fallout and
chipping leftovers.

New Mexico's idea of a blizzard. W. Kirk Crawford[_2_] Garden Photos 4 13-02-2009 01:27 AM
Taken the Plunge Chookie Permaculture 16 01-09-2005 07:10 PM
ants in plunge bench Janet Tweedy United Kingdom 11 08-04-2005 11:14 AM
blizzard in the northeast USA Joe Zorzin alt.forestry 3 19-02-2003 08:34 AM
Garden mess leads to jail Tumbleweed United Kingdom 20 06-01-2003 11:55 PM