Old 05-04-2003, 10:20 PM
Kenneth LeCointe

Default Easier to care for lawn? Is it possible?

Greetings.

My wife and I had a new home built down in Kyle back in August of last
year. Our home was sodded on all 4 sides with Bermuda grass, which is
supposedly easy to care for.

It's driving me crazy.

Weeds, Yellow patches, very VERY uneven growth leading to mowing that
cuts some areas and doesn't even touch the tops of the grass in
others...

Is it possible to seed something else into this grass? Such as
Buffalo grass or some sort of other native grass? Help?
Old 10-04-2003, 04:32 PM
Steve Ravet

St. Augustine will crowd out the bermuda eventually. But you'll have to
water it in the summer, and you can't seed it. St. Augustine isn't as
thirsty as some people would have you believe, and it'll brown out a
little in the peak of the summer. There may be some zoysia or other
that would also do well, but my experience has been with St. Augustine.

--steve

Old 11-04-2003, 12:20 AM
Freeda

I have a big patch of St Aug in a lot I mow once a year (late winter) never
water or fertilize and while it does go brown sometimes during late summer
it is the lushest healthiest grass I have. Of course it's 8 inches tall
but consider it a "ground cover" and you're set.

Fred

Old 11-04-2003, 01:20 AM
starlia

I am looking at a grass that seems too good to be true. It is located at
the Alamo. I'm not sure the exact kind, but can get the information. It
will stay green year round, is resistant to drought, does not require
watering, and will crowd out all other grasses and weeds. It propagates
fast and will invade your neighbor's lawns. I spoke with my counterparts
for the City of San Antonio and found out they love the grass.

If anyone is interested, please send me an email and I'll post the website
and my findings.

Old 11-04-2003, 03:56 AM
animaux

Do you actually live in Texas? St. Augustine requires watering every 5 or 6
days in the high summer or it will cup and attract readily an infestation of
chinch bugs. Bermuda will always win out in full sun, but St. Augustine will
win out in shade. St. Augustine will not take over the bermuda in full sun.

Old 12-04-2003, 12:56 AM
Freeda

Bellville, south of Brenham, half way between Houston and Austin on 290.
It's mostly a shady spot under some oaks in sandy soil. It's only problem
is with the prarie grass "clumps" it can't penetrate. I think the secret
is letting the grass grow long.

Fred

animaux wrote in
: