GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Paper Wasp question (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/texas/143352-paper-wasp-question.html)

charliekilo 01-05-2006 10:36 PM

Paper Wasp question

I'm curious, is there a predator of the paper wasp. I have several nests
around my house and suddenly today all of the nests have fallen to the
ground and there are dying wasps laying around.

I live in a private residence and there hasn't been anyone on the property
today other than me...and the nest are scattered around the house not in
just one area.

Strange(?)

Mike Harris 02-05-2006 03:29 PM

Paper Wasp question

"charliekilo" wrote in message
om...
I'm curious, is there a predator of the paper wasp. I have several nests
around my house and suddenly today all of the nests have fallen to the
ground and there are dying wasps laying around.

I live in a private residence and there hasn't been anyone on the property
today other than me...and the nest are scattered around the house not in
just one area.

Strange(?)

Of course there is - "So, naturalists observe, a flea / Has smaller fleas
that on him prey; / And these have smaller still to bite 'em; / And so
proceed ad infinitum."

There are several fungi that, while not specific to vespids, deteriorate the
structure of the nests at the same time that they're toxic to the insects.
The University of New Zealand was looking at some of these as potential
organic controls for introduced wasp species. Maybe they'd be interested in
your nests!

--
Mike Harris
Austin, TX

Jangchub 02-05-2006 11:11 PM

Paper Wasp question

Mediterranean gecko's can be the culprit of that. I've also found
some nests. I love the wasps because they eat gypsy moth larvae.

charliekilo 03-05-2006 12:26 AM

Paper Wasp question

"Jangchub" wrote in message
Mediterranean gecko's can be the culprit of that. I've also found
some nests. I love the wasps because they eat gypsy moth larvae.

I have lots of Med Geckos around the house...cute little lizards.

Jangchub 03-05-2006 01:56 PM

Paper Wasp question

We have tons and tons, even inside the house. Every now and then we
see a teeney weeney baby and we panic that it will end up starving.
We go through great lengths to retrieve and place outside, while not
hurting it's teeney body.

Speaking of geckos, before the Geico Gecko started talking, did anyone
know he was an Aussie! LOL

On Tue, 02 May 2006 23:26:29 GMT, "charliekilo"
wrote:

.. .