GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Get rid of St. Augustine (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/texas/143570-get-rid-st-augustine.html)

TH 05-05-2006 07:33 PM

Get rid of St. Augustine

I have a lawn that is tall fescue but my neighbor has some St. Augustine.
The S.A has started encroaching on my lawn and would like to kill the S. A
on my side of the lawn without harming the fescue. Any advice on how to do
this?

If you are wondering, the fescue is under the shade of a tree that's why it
can survive the heat.

Thanks,
TH

Mike Harris 05-05-2006 08:23 PM

Get rid of St. Augustine

"TH" wrote in message
I have a lawn that is tall fescue but my neighbor has some St. Augustine.
The S.A has started encroaching on my lawn and would like to kill the S. A
on my side of the lawn without harming the fescue. Any advice on how to do
this?

TH,

I don't know of an organic way to do this short of actually digging the
stuff out as it encroaches.

That said, St Augustine is sensitive to broadleaf weed killers. A "weed and
feed" product should work fine, if you don't mind going to the Dark Side.
--
Mike Harris
Austin, TX

Jangchub 06-05-2006 01:52 PM

Get rid of St. Augustine

On Fri, 05 May 2006 19:23:16 GMT, "Mike Harris"
wrote:

"TH" wrote in message
I have a lawn that is tall fescue but my neighbor has some St. Augustine.
The S.A has started encroaching on my lawn and would like to kill the S. A
on my side of the lawn without harming the fescue. Any advice on how to do
this?

TH,

I don't know of an organic way to do this short of actually digging the
stuff out as it encroaches.

That said, St Augustine is sensitive to broadleaf weed killers. A "weed and
feed" product should work fine, if you don't mind going to the Dark Side.

First of all, that's not a very nice thing to do, and it can also kill
trees.

Dig a trench between the two types of turf. Do it in a French curve
way, not a straight line. Go buyyourself some dry stack limestone and
put it where you remove the turf and you should be able to just weed
wack it out of your side.

Jonny 06-05-2006 04:08 PM

Get rid of St. Augustine

"TH" wrote in message
I have a lawn that is tall fescue but my neighbor has some St. Augustine.
The S.A has started encroaching on my lawn and would like to kill the S. A
on my side of the lawn without harming the fescue. Any advice on how to do
this?

If you are wondering, the fescue is under the shade of a tree that's why
it can survive the heat.

Thanks,
TH

What's growing on your lawn that's not shaded?
--
Jonny

[email protected] 06-05-2006 04:17 PM

Get rid of St. Augustine

The S.A has started encroaching on my
lawn and would like to kill the S. A on
my side of the lawn without harming the
fescue....

SA is very aggressive. It will be a long battle to keep it on 'his'
side of the area. Left alone it will take over your side. A barrier or
ditch may work, but you're still in for a long fight and lot's of sweat.
Years ago my neighbor plugged some SA in his yard. Three short years
later it covered his area and three years after that, it had taken over
my yard too. I didn't mind though since my yard was originally common
burmuda. I also used some 6" SA plugs along the foundation at the rear
of my home. Four years later my backyard was SA.

Dave S(Texas)

Jangchub 06-05-2006 08:15 PM

Get rid of St. Augustine

On Sat, 6 May 2006 10:17:04 -0500, wrote:

The S.A has started encroaching on my
lawn and would like to kill the S. A on
my side of the lawn without harming the
fescue....

SA is very aggressive. It will be a long battle to keep it on 'his'
side of the area. Left alone it will take over your side. A barrier or
ditch may work, but you're still in for a long fight and lot's of sweat.
Years ago my neighbor plugged some SA in his yard. Three short years
later it covered his area and three years after that, it had taken over
my yard too. I didn't mind though since my yard was originally common
burmuda. I also used some 6" SA plugs along the foundation at the rear
of my home. Four years later my backyard was SA.

Dave S(Texas)

SA is not aggressive at all. It spreads by runners which are
extremely easy to remove. Every bed on my property is built the way I
instructed. Dig a trench, use dry stack and keep up on it when you
weed wack.