Old 09-04-2003, 07:56 PM
br

Default Sprinkler system recomendations

I'm planning on installing a sprinkler system. I've talked to the
following companies so far:

Phoenix Irrigation
Sullivan's Irrigation
ABC Pest & Lawn

Any good/bad experiences with any of these companies ? Any other
companies recomended ?

Thanks in advance

BR
Old 11-04-2003, 01:20 AM
starlia

I recommend the following when employing any company for home or at work.

1. Make sure they have worker's compensation and general liability.
Request a copy of their insurance and make sure you are added as additional
insured. That way if there are any accidents on your property their
insurance will cover anything that has happened.

2. Make sure to get references. Request them and follow-up by making the
calls. If they do not provide references then do not use them.

3. Do not make a payment until the work is complete, or make a partial
payment when an appropriate portion of the work has been completed. You do
not want your guys to start the job, then go start another, then another.
You want to be assured they will stay on your job until it's complete.

4. Get a completion date in writing. And then make them stick to their
completion date.

5. If you are hiring a certified this or that, make sure you they will show
you their certifications or licenses.

That's all I can think of for the moment. Hope this helps.

Starlia

om...

Old 11-04-2003, 03:09 AM
Carol Adams

I used Wilson Irrigation, and I think they are great. They did a good job
for me at a reasonable cost, and came out promptly (in a couple of days) to
fix the one problem I've had in three years. The problem was not their fault
btw - believe it or not, a pipe in one of my zones was crushed by feral pigs
;-)

om...

Old 11-04-2003, 04:21 PM
B.Server

On Wed, 09 Apr 2003 19:36:58 -0500, (Joe Doe)
wrote:

In article , B.Server wrote:

On 9 Apr 2003 11:53:54 -0700,
(br) wrote:

I'm planning on installing a sprinkler system. I've talked to the
following companies so far:

You might consider doing it yourself.

The rest was finished and usable after working from Friday evening
until around 4PM on Sunday. The lot is .55A.

Out of curiosity what is the ball park cost of a self install job? Did
you rent a trencher?

Roland

I put ours in 15+ years ago, so the prices are probably not relevant
even if I could accurately recall them. The breakdown was around $100
for the trencher for a day, about $100 for a fancy brass backflow
prevention device, (for a small system there are cheaper ways to do
it), about $150 for the plumber to replace the meter and run from the
street to the house, (used the plumber so that I would not have to
wait on a city inspection to turn on the water) and then the pipe,
fittings, and heads. Check specialty stores for a better than Home
Depot deal on pipe and likewise check the web for fittings and heads.
I bought my pipe from a place on the west side of Shoal Creek north of
Stripling Blake and my fittings from a mail order place in San
Antonio. You will probably want a pressure gauge to measure your
water pressure. Most of the decisions about layout and numbers of
circuits will follow from the pressure and size of street service. A
1" service will deliver a lot more water than the standard 3/4", but
you will pay a little bit for it every month for ever.

My lot has little or no rock in the top 20", so the trencher and a
sharp shooter was all I needed. If you have a difficult lot, check
out the various flexible pipe hookups that make it easier.

Don't put valve boxes where they will be overgrown or penetrated by
landscape plantings. Try to keep them out of the places where you
walk or mow. Sooner or later the mower will take the top off. Take
some good photos of the layout after the trenches are dug and the pipe
run. Save them. Some day you will want to know where the pipe
!really! is rather than just where it was drawn on the layout. Use
good quality valves; they are a real pain to replace.
Old 12-04-2003, 04:56 AM
Carol Adams

Actually, I think these pigs (there are two of them) are adult Vietnamese
miniature pot-bellied pigs that someone probably "set free" near my rather
remote neighborhood - they are not javelinas, for sure; I've seen them. And
anyway, I'm a vegetarian ;-)

They are quite destructive though. Several times they have torn up my front
yard. I think they are grubbing for earthworms - it's the only explanation I
can think of that accounts for the types of damage they've done.

"WSZsr" wrote in message
Roasted feral pig for Sunday dinner! mmmmmmmm!

"Carol Adams" wrote in message
I used Wilson Irrigation, and I think they are great. They did a good

job
for me at a reasonable cost, and came out promptly (in a couple of days)

fix the one problem I've had in three years. The problem was not their

fault
btw - believe it or not, a pipe in one of my zones was crushed by feral

pigs
;-)

om...

Old 13-04-2003, 05:32 AM
Ethelred the Unready

I was reasonably pleased with Phoenix.
They did the work well and were fast about it. Good help with the
controller.

I had them put in drip irrigation. One note, I expected black pipe
and individual drippers but they used a brown hose with drippers every
foot or so. I can't say the brown hose is better or worse.

Ethelred

"br" wrote in message
om...
I'm planning on installing a sprinkler system. I've talked to the
following companies so far:

Phoenix Irrigation
Sullivan's Irrigation
ABC Pest & Lawn

Any good/bad experiences with any of these companies ? Any other
companies recomended ?

Thanks in advance

BR

Gear driven sprinkler versus impact sprinkler MiamiCuse Lawns 2 11-11-2008 02:40 AM
drip system with existing sprinkler system googly Gardening 5 25-06-2005 06:33 AM
Sprinkler system is making loud noise and stops for few seconds Bharat Texas 2 12-05-2003 10:08 PM
Sprinkler System RyMac Texas 0 07-05-2003 03:56 AM
Attach weed sprayer to Sprinkler System Steve J Gardening 6 14-04-2003 03:08 PM