Old 29-05-2006, 06:00 AM posted to austin.gardening
Linda

Default poor plant growth...San Antonio

Planted several things in MiracleGro potting soil. My sunflowers got a
whopping 18". My indian corn got maybe 24". My squash got 10". My
Four O'Clocks are about 8 or 10". Bought a start of Sea Holly - it's
about 5". Most had a sickly pale green/yellowish color. What is going
on? In Oregon I just planted those things in the sandy soil, never
fertilized, just watered. The sunflowers were 6 or 7 feet tall, the
indian corn got about the same, my Four O'Clocks were about 3' and
bushy....well, you get the idea. Why is nothing growing well here? Is
there something I should have been doing? Oh, and the poor tomato
plant...too sad to tell! I thought the store-bought potting soil would
be the right thing to use. Advice?

Old 29-05-2006, 05:21 PM posted to austin.gardening
Cliff

You don't say how you prepared your planting area. Did you just work the
potting soil in or are you working with containers. Depending on where you
are in San Antonio, you probably don't have very good soil to begin with
unless you are on the South side of town. Any other area will need a whole
lot more than a couple bags of potting soil. Again depending on your
particular area you may need to resort to raised beds to be successful.
Building a bed and then bringing in prepared soil from one of the commercial
companies like Gardenville or Fertile Gardens. If you don't want to do that
then you need to use a lot of compost in your planting area, work it in and
repeat every year for a couple of years. The more the better, you can't
have too much compost. I would also recommend the use of Medina's Soil
Activator, Texas green sand-it is an iron supplement, a good organic
fertilizer, Medina has one, Texas Tea, Greensense (if you shop the military
stores). Regular use of Hasta Grow. No Miracle grow. Lots of mulch and a
lot of water. Maybe you have not given your plants enough water. If you
dig down a bit you may find that the soil is powder dry, that's what I find
and I own about 90% of SAWS. We have only had 6" of rain in the last 6
months the sub soil is dry. I have some fire bush the have been in the
ground several years that in a "normal" year would get 6-7 feet tall are
only 3 feet tall this year because of the lack of water.

If you are interested in learning more about the local area and it's
gardening problems and solutions check out
http://www.gardeningvolunteers.org/ and give a listen to Bob Webster on AM
550 every Sat and Sun.

Good Luck

Cliff

Planted several things in Miracle potting soil. My sunflowers got a

Old 30-05-2006, 01:00 AM posted to austin.gardening
Linda

Thanks for your response. I'm sorry I was not more specific. All those
things were planted in large pots - nothing but Miracle Gro potting
soil. Pretty sure I kept things watered enough. Thank you for all your
instructions on how to prepare flower beds here. The soil here
(northeast San Antonio) is more like rock! Yucky beige/tan hard
clay-like stuff. I don't know how the stuff that passes for grass
hereabouts grows in it ;-)

Later in your response you said NOT to use Miracle Gro fertilizer?
Isn't it the good stuff? Or is that just the publicity hype?

Thanks again.

Old 30-05-2006, 04:59 AM posted to austin.gardening
Victor Martinez

Linda wrote:
Thanks for your response. I'm sorry I was not more specific. All those
things were planted in large pots - nothing but Miracle Gro potting

You want to grow corn and sunflowers in pots? Not gonna happen!

Later in your response you said NOT to use Miracle Gro fertilizer?
Isn't it the good stuff? Or is that just the publicity hype?

Miracle Gro is for clueless suburban weekend gardeners who don't know
better.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old 30-05-2006, 09:26 AM posted to austin.gardening
Catbird

"Victor Martinez" wrote in message
Linda wrote:
Thanks for your response. I'm sorry I was not more specific. All those
things were planted in large pots - nothing but Miracle Gro potting

You want to grow corn and sunflowers in pots? Not gonna happen!

Of course you can!

Later in your response you said NOT to use Miracle Gro fertilizer?
Isn't it the good stuff? Or is that just the publicity hype?

Miracle Gro is for clueless suburban weekend gardeners who don't know
better.

What a dig. (let the puns begin) Plenty of urban casual gardeners out there
being "clueless" too.

You've not been helpful to Linda here but one likes to know you have
maintained your superior quality.

--
Catbird

"Oh-oh, her schizo is about to phrenia" - Bob Hope

Old 30-05-2006, 01:41 PM posted to austin.gardening
Victor Martinez

Catbird wrote:
You want to grow corn and sunflowers in pots? Not gonna happen!

Of course you can!

Really? One plant per pot? Considering corn needs spacing of say, 12
inches? How about sunflowers? Depending on the variety it can be 8
inches or more. Not really practical for pots.

What a dig. (let the puns begin) Plenty of urban casual gardeners out there
being "clueless" too.

True.

You've not been helpful to Linda here but one likes to know you have
maintained your superior quality.

I don't see you posting any helpful information. I did. You might not
have liked the tone of my message, but I did provide information. What's
your contribution?

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old 30-05-2006, 03:13 PM posted to austin.gardening
Jangchub

Corn needs several rows because it is wind pollinated and if you use
containers to grow it, you'll be constantly watering. None of what
you are trying to grow does well in containers, unfortunately.

Miracle Gro should never be used as a fertilizer. It is synthetic
nitrogen. Hasta Gro has a liquid fertilizer which, while not purely
organic, is much better for healthy plants. Get that in the organic
section of any garden center.

Old 30-05-2006, 06:28 PM posted to austin.gardening
Not Nasty

Catbird et al -

I also have noticed the condescending tone of some of Victor Martinez' posts
over the years. It always disappoints me because I feel it throws a wet
blanket on the generous give and take of this forum. It makes newbies afraid
to ask questions for fear of being ridiculed.

Gardening in Central Texas is unlike gardening in any other part of the
country, and it takes specific information to succeed, but I admit that at
times, the sometimes belittling responses from this poster has deterred me
from participating. Invariably, when somebody (like you) calls him on it, he
responds defensively, and he continues with more of the same.

Being from the remote north, I struggle with trying to keep plants alive
through the heat and hail and frost and crappy soil that is Central Texas.
And thankfully, snotty superiority is not typical of gardeners, who are for
the most part very kind, generous and helpful to all.

Old 30-05-2006, 07:07 PM posted to austin.gardening

Planted several things in MiracleGro
potting soil.

potting soil??

Did you use MG potting soil or MG garden soil?

Dave S(Texas)

Old 30-05-2006, 09:03 PM posted to austin.gardening
Celeste Evans

Well, I have to disagree. I have always found Victor to be helpful, if
a bit terse at times. Remember that this is the internet and you are
not in front of someone. Bad day at work, but just wanted to make sure
he got you the info, or whatever. Any number of reasons for a short
reply. His information is always well seasoned if a bit peppery for
your taste. Remember that this is Texas and we like a bit of heat. :-)
Welcome to Texas ya'll, we don't hate Yankees, but sometimes we have a
little fun with them. Settle down and enjoy the heat and you'll
probably find that we don't bite, but we might bark. Actually a pretty
friendly place.

Cea

Old 30-05-2006, 10:07 PM posted to austin.gardening
David

Celeste Evans wrote:
Well, I have to disagree. I have always found Victor to be helpful, if
a bit terse at times. Remember that this is the internet and you are
not in front of someone. Bad day at work, but just wanted to make sure
he got you the info, or whatever. Any number of reasons for a short
reply. His information is always well seasoned if a bit peppery for
your taste. Remember that this is Texas and we like a bit of heat. :-)
Welcome to Texas ya'll, we don't hate Yankees, but sometimes we have a
little fun with them. Settle down and enjoy the heat and you'll
probably find that we don't bite, but we might bark. Actually a pretty
friendly place.

Cea

Cea,

Granted, Victor is a bit mellower than he was, say, on
alt.food.mexican-cooking, when he was a grad student from Mexico at UT
Austin (Have you read the way he treated people then?), but please
don't generalize about people who live here. We're not all one "we."

It isn't necessary to be nasty to people, or even to have "a little fun
with them" just because they don't happen to agree with the way you
think, and because they don't happen to live in Texas.

David in San Antonio

Old 30-05-2006, 10:48 PM posted to austin.gardening
Jangchub

I was just telling this to my New York mom who is considering moving
down here. It's just more polite, friendly, and respectful in Texas
then it was up north in NYC and Long Island. I'll never move back
there.

Old 31-05-2006, 12:56 AM posted to austin.gardening
Victor Martinez

Celeste Evans wrote:
Well, I have to disagree. I have always found Victor to be helpful, if
a bit terse at times. Remember that this is the internet and you are

Thank you Celeste, for your kind comment.
I usually do not reply to anonymous attacks like the one you responded
to. I figured if people do not have the decency to sign their name when
attacking someone, then I should not waste my time with them.
In any case, I did to a quick search on google and I found that the
overwhelming majority of my messages on this group over the past 3-4
years have been quite friendly in tone. With the notable exception of
two threads (one about what is and isn't a fruit, another one about
thermodynamics) in which my more aggressive traits surfaced.
In any case, the beauty of usenet is that one can freely choose who to
read and who to ignore. Nobody is forcing anyone to read anyone's
replies, so we can all be happy.
Thanks for reading!

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old 31-05-2006, 02:13 AM posted to austin.gardening
Jangchub

On Tue, 30 May 2006 17:56:52 -0500, Victor Martinez
wrote:

Celeste Evans wrote:
[...]

Eh, I'm sorry you went to the trouble of googling you posts. The
funny part of someone attacking you for being hostile, is the
hostility they spew while accusing you! That's one that always gets
me laughing.

You have always been very helpful, Victor. Now I know never to
discuss thermodynamics or fruit/vegetable with you