GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Fertilizer Question (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/texas/145689-fertilizer-question.html)

Chris F. 30-05-2006 03:27 PM

Fertilizer Question

I'm quite new to gardening, this year I decided to plant some outdoor
flower gardens but I think I may have made a mistake. On one garden, I
spread peat moss and then added a few handfulls of 6-12-12 fertilizer (the
pelleted kind). A couple of weeks later, I transplanted a few plants I'd
started indoors (Craspedia), and sowed a package of Marigolds. Within a
couple of days, the Craspedia roots/stalks had turned beet red, and the
plants appeared to be dying. I assumed it was because of unseasonably cold
weather, and moved them back in the house - where they seem to be improving.
However, none of the Marigolds I planted ever came up, and the few weeds
that have begun growing there also have dark red roots. Was the fertilizer
simply too strong, and will I have to replace the soil before planting
anything else??

--
To reply via Email, remove NOSPAM from the address