GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   snakes in yard (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/texas/147053-snakes-yard.html)

Barry 26-06-2006 01:10 PM

snakes in yard

Noticed a couple of snakes in the back yard yesterday, 12/14 inches long.
Don't know what kind. Are there any home remedies for a snake repellent. Any
advise would be appreciated.
thanks
Barry

Jangchub 26-06-2006 01:33 PM

snakes in yard

On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 12:10:45 GMT, "Barry" wrote:

Noticed a couple of snakes in the back yard yesterday, 12/14 inches long.
Don't know what kind. Are there any home remedies for a snake repellent. Any
advise would be appreciated.
thanks
Barry

The great majority of garden snakes are not venemous. I have rat
snakes, corn snakes, lizards, etc. They are very beneficial. Now I
take care when I'm weeding or cultivating so not to hurt the snakes.

OmManiPadmeOmelet 26-06-2006 01:34 PM

snakes in yard

In article ,
"Barry" wrote:

Noticed a couple of snakes in the back yard yesterday, 12/14 inches long.
Don't know what kind. Are there any home remedies for a snake repellent. Any
advise would be appreciated.
thanks
Barry

If they are harmless, let them be...
The food competition will be more likely to keep poisonous ones away,
and the beneficial ones are just that. Beneficial. :-)

If you are afraid of them, well, they are just as afraid of you. It
helps to keep them in mind.

See if you can snap a pic so we can identify them for you?

What color were they?
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson

Barry 26-06-2006 01:44 PM

snakes in yard

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" wrote in message
In article ,
"Barry" wrote:

Noticed a couple of snakes in the back yard yesterday, 12/14 inches long.
Don't know what kind. Are there any home remedies for a snake repellent.
Any
advise would be appreciated.
thanks
Barry

If they are harmless, let them be...
The food competition will be more likely to keep poisonous ones away,
and the beneficial ones are just that. Beneficial. :-)

If you are afraid of them, well, they are just as afraid of you. It
helps to keep them in mind.

See if you can snap a pic so we can identify them for you?

What color were they?
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson

For your info, it did have a triangular shaped head.
Barry

OmManiPadmeOmelet 26-06-2006 01:53 PM

snakes in yard

"Barry" wrote:

[...]

Hog nosed snakes, as well as a few water snakes, can have a slightly
triangular head. :-)

What was the back pattern, if any?

There are only 4 types of (wild) toxic snakes in the US. The rest are
all beneficial. Those include rattlesnakes, coral snakes,
cottonmouth/water mocassins (same snake, 2 names) and copperheads.

3 of those are pit vipers and have a heart shaped head due to the venom
glands.

Learn to identify the dangerous ones only. It's easier. ;-)

I do respect your fear of snakes! I've dealt with them too long not to.

I had rat snakes killing my squabs so I had to get rid of them. I put a
1 gallon milk jug half filled with water in the shed and checked it
during the hottest part of the day. The snakes would go in there to cool
off and soak.

I'd put the cap on, then give them to a fellow snake lover that had more
time on her hands for appropriate relocation.

I also pinned and captured one small rattlesnake and sent it to wildlife
rescue for relocation. I could not bring myself to kill it as it had
been eating rats, and I have an ongoing "rat war".

I now regret relocating the rat snakes. :-( If they were still around,
I'd probably be spending no money on rat poison. It would have been
worth a few squabs. sigh
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson

Mike Harris 26-06-2006 04:28 PM

snakes in yard

"Barry" wrote in message
Noticed a couple of snakes in the back yard yesterday, 12/14 inches long.
Don't know what kind. Are there any home remedies for a snake repellent.
Any advise would be appreciated.
thanks
Barry

I don't know of any effective snake repellents. The best way to encourage
them to go elsewhere is to clear brush piles, remove firewood ricks and
lumber piles, and other similar sources of concealment / food.

As others have pointed out, snakes are generally considered beneficial
although I don't think I'd care to have venomous ones around, for the sake
of my cats.

Remember too that even "small" or "baby" venomous snakes are venomous and
can inflict a potentially fatal bite; don't try to capture one unless you
know what you are doing.

Jangchub 26-06-2006 07:08 PM

snakes in yard

On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 15:28:03 GMT, "Mike Harris"
wrote:

I don't know of any effective snake repellents. The best way to encourage
them to go elsewhere is to clear brush piles, remove firewood ricks and
lumber piles, and other similar sources of concealment / food.

As others have pointed out, snakes are generally considered beneficial
although I don't think I'd care to have venomous ones around, for the sake
of my cats.

Remember too that even "small" or "baby" venomous snakes are venomous and
can inflict a potentially fatal bite; don't try to capture one unless you
know what you are doing.

We captured a rat snake, full grown, a few weeks ago. The neighbor is
petrified of them. It did get a snip at my husband's hand, but no
worse for the wear. We relocated it by the creek.

Mike Harris 26-06-2006 09:07 PM

snakes in yard

"Jangchub" wrote in message
We captured a rat snake, full grown, a few weeks ago. The neighbor is
petrified of them. It did get a snip at my husband's hand, but no
worse for the wear. We relocated it by the creek.

Rat snakes are known for their aggression; I'm not surprised it bit your
hub's hand. They aren't venomous of course but they can give a painful nip.

I happen to like snakes, and I don't like it when my cats capture one. For
a short while last year they caught a series of Texas blind snakes
(Leptotyphlops dulcis) only some of which I was able to save. Their largest
"find" was a very handsome racer (Coluber constrictor flaviventris) which
was nearly four feet long. I was able to rescue it, little the worse for
wear, and relocate it in the ivy where they couldn't reach it.
--
Mike Harris
Austin, TX

OmManiPadmeOmelet 26-06-2006 09:23 PM

snakes in yard

In article ,
"Mike Harris" wrote:

"Barry" wrote in message
Noticed a couple of snakes in the back yard yesterday, 12/14 inches long.
Don't know what kind. Are there any home remedies for a snake repellent.
Any advise would be appreciated.
thanks
Barry

I don't know of any effective snake repellents. The best way to encourage
them to go elsewhere is to clear brush piles, remove firewood ricks and
lumber piles, and other similar sources of concealment / food.

As others have pointed out, snakes are generally considered beneficial
although I don't think I'd care to have venomous ones around, for the sake
of my cats.

Remember too that even "small" or "baby" venomous snakes are venomous and
can inflict a potentially fatal bite; don't try to capture one unless you
know what you are doing.

True true!
I have a couple of snake hooks on hand and have been handling them for
years.... ;-)

I have no objection to killing venomous snakes, I just personally did
not want to do it that last time.

I take no joy in killing, but will when necessary.
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson

OmManiPadmeOmelet 26-06-2006 09:26 PM

snakes in yard

wrote:

I don't know of any effective snake repellents. The best way to encourage
them to go elsewhere is to clear brush piles, remove firewood ricks and
lumber piles, and other similar sources of concealment / food.

As others have pointed out, snakes are generally considered beneficial
although I don't think I'd care to have venomous ones around, for the sake
of my cats.

Remember too that even "small" or "baby" venomous snakes are venomous and
can inflict a potentially fatal bite; don't try to capture one unless you
know what you are doing.

We captured a rat snake, full grown, a few weeks ago. The neighbor is
petrified of them. It did get a snip at my husband's hand, but no
worse for the wear. We relocated it by the creek.

Rat snakes are ornery critters....... ;-)
Bites are annoying, but harmless. Oddly enough, I've never had a
(non-venomous) snakebite get infected. Been nailed by ratsnakes a couple
of times when capturing without a snake hook, and also when I had pet
boas. Big morons hit ME instead of the rat I was handing them!

I'm a LOT more careful with the dangerous ones so have yet to be bitten.
(knocking on wood!)
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson

Jangchub 27-06-2006 12:04 AM

snakes in yard

On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 20:07:29 GMT, "Mike Harris"
wrote:

"Jangchub" wrote in message
.. .
We captured a rat snake, full grown, a few weeks ago. The neighbor is
petrified of them. It did get a snip at my husband's hand, but no
worse for the wear. We relocated it by the creek.

Rat snakes are known for their aggression; I'm not surprised it bit your
hub's hand. They aren't venomous of course but they can give a painful nip.

It didn't get a good chunk, just a strike of medium strength. I felt
so horrible for the poor snake. It was petrified.

I happen to like snakes, and I don't like it when my cats capture one. For
a short while last year they caught a series of Texas blind snakes
(Leptotyphlops dulcis) only some of which I was able to save. Their largest
"find" was a very handsome racer (Coluber constrictor flaviventris) which
was nearly four feet long. I was able to rescue it, little the worse for
wear, and relocate it in the ivy where they couldn't reach it.

Yeah, we've rescued Texas blind snakes from the pool. They find their
way on top of a floating device in the pool. We always leave a
floatation device for animals which slip into the water at night. We
now have a huge bullfrog who makes huge poops IN the pool.

jOhN 27-06-2006 03:33 AM

snakes in yard

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

"Barry" wrote:

[...]

We used to have rats that would hang off the bird feeders and stuff
themselves. One night I saw a couple that would've fed a family of four
with leftovers. Giant grain-fed rats.

Then the rat snakes showed up and the rats went missing. Yea!

We also have some big toads that have been around for a long time not to
mention a plague of geckos (crap on every surface, getting mashed in
doors, hanging out of the dog's mouth like a cigarette). The toad that
lives under the air conditioner is a monster. I wonder if it eats geckos?

Oh yeah, the tarantula hawks are back. Saw one dragging a tarantula last
night. I like tarantulas but such is the circle of life.

jOhN 27-06-2006 03:34 AM

snakes in yard

Jangchub wrote:
On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 20:07:29 GMT, "Mike Harris"
wrote:

"Jangchub" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

How's his lap time?

OmManiPadmeOmelet 27-06-2006 04:38 PM

snakes in yard

In article ,
jOhN wrote:

We used to have rats that would hang off the bird feeders and stuff
themselves. One night I saw a couple that would've fed a family of four
with leftovers. Giant grain-fed rats.

Then the rat snakes showed up and the rats went missing. Yea!

I'd like that. ;-)

We also have some big toads that have been around for a long time not to
mention a plague of geckos (crap on every surface, getting mashed in
doors, hanging out of the dog's mouth like a cigarette). The toad that
lives under the air conditioner is a monster. I wonder if it eats geckos?

Toads eat anything that moves!
I'm sure they are eating geckos. G

I have geckos that breed and lay eggs in my attic, but as a result, I
have almost no roaches and no silverfish. They have not been much of a
problem.

Oh yeah, the tarantula hawks are back. Saw one dragging a tarantula last
night. I like tarantulas but such is the circle of life.

Aw, poor thing!
Just don't ever accidently step on a tarantula hawk in bare feet.
BTDT, major ouch!
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson

OmManiPadmeOmelet 27-06-2006 04:39 PM

snakes in yard

In article ,
jOhN wrote:

Yeah, we've rescued Texas blind snakes from the pool. They find their
way on top of a floating device in the pool. We always leave a
floatation device for animals which slip into the water at night. We
now have a huge bullfrog who makes huge poops IN the pool.

How's his lap time?

lol
--
Peace!