Old 03-07-2006, 04:51 PM posted to austin.gardening

Default urgent ...pls help

urgent ...pls help
*********************

My sister had a tree in her front yard in the center of the lawn...the
tree sprouted roots and tiny trees appeared all over the lawn. She
has had the tree cut but these little trees keep coming up all the time
all over the lawn...she mows the lawn and they get cut ...but reappear.

How can she kill these ...that are sprouting up everywhere ?

My sister does not know what sort of tree this is...the home builders
planted it...the house is about 18 years now.

Has anyone had any experience with this sort of situation ?

Pls help

Thanks
Kim

Old 03-07-2006, 06:57 PM posted to austin.gardening
MAP

From an earlier post I asked how to keep squirrels out of a hanging basket.
Folks on this newsgroup told me salt would keep the squirrels away but would
also kill the plant. Are the tiny trees in a place where you can put a
little salt on them without compromising whatever else you have growing?

Mary Ann
wrote in message
oups.com...
urgent ...pls help
*********************

Old 03-07-2006, 07:52 PM posted to austin.gardening
Mike Harris

wrote in message
oups.com...
urgent ...pls help
*********************

My sister had a tree in her front yard in the center of the lawn...the
tree sprouted roots and tiny trees appeared all over the lawn. She
has had the tree cut but these little trees keep coming up all the time
all over the lawn...she mows the lawn and they get cut ...but reappear.

How can she kill these ...that are sprouting up everywhere ?

My sister does not know what sort of tree this is...the home builders
planted it...the house is about 18 years now.

Has anyone had any experience with this sort of situation ?

Pls help

Thanks
Kim

Kim,

"Urgent?" Life and death? Brain eating pod plants, maybe?

Seriously, what you are seeing is "suckers."

When you say that the tree was "cut" - do you mean "cut down and removed" or
"trimmed?"

Either way, this tree is reacting to foliage loss with new growth from the
roots.

If "trimmed" the tree will eventually reduce its suckering as the top growth
matures again, although it will never be completely free of it. Just keep
mowing - don't use any sort of herbicide or she may kill the tree.

If the tree was removed altogether, she can eventually kill the suckering
roots using a glyphosate herbicide. It will take some patience, though.
She can shield her lawn and other nearby plants with cardboard - lay the
suckers down on the cardboard and spray them.

And don't use salt - it'll kill the lawn and all of her landscaping before
it kills the suckers.
--
Mike Harris
Austin, TX

Old 03-07-2006, 10:54 PM posted to austin.gardening
Jangchub

No, the answer to everything is not salt. Please stop telling people
to use salt. It is a toxin when used the way you instruct.

On Mon, 03 Jul 2006 17:57:31 GMT, "MAP"
wrote:

From an earlier post I asked how to keep squirrels out of a hanging basket.
Folks on this newsgroup told me salt would keep the squirrels away but would
also kill the plant. Are the tiny trees in a place where you can put a
little salt on them without compromising whatever else you have growing?

Mary Ann
wrote in message
roups.com...
urgent ...pls help
*********************

Old 08-07-2006, 03:38 AM posted to austin.gardening
Jonny

wrote in message
oups.com...
urgent ...pls help
*********************

My sister had a tree in her front yard in the center of the lawn...the

past tense, already happened.

tree sprouted roots and tiny trees appeared all over the lawn. She

Trees don't sprout roots. They appear magically. Rather, they appear with
need and availability of water and good soil, and weather, and
infestations/diseases.

has had the tree cut but these little trees keep coming up all the time

Are the "little trees" the same species as the tree that was cut?

all over the lawn...she mows the lawn and they get cut ...but reappear.

How is this urgent?

How can she kill these ...that are sprouting up everywhere ?

Dig up the roots, and rid the stump to some depth other than current soil
height.

My sister does not know what sort of tree this is...the home builders

Is your sister the only one with a view of the lawn that may possibly know
the species of the tree/"little trees"?

planted it...the house is about 18 years now.

Does anyone else know what the tree or terribly implied resulting offspring
are?

Has anyone had any experience with this sort of situation ?

Yes, but someone had some glimmer of the tree species concerned.

Pls help

With what?

Yo sister has some surface runners still trying to maintain life. Where
apparent of not on the lawn remains an open subject due to lack of
information.
--
Jonny

Old 12-07-2006, 05:56 AM posted to austin.gardening

If you kill the stump, the sprouts will probably disappear, if they are
suckers. If you don't, they'll still keep coming up. Since you didn't
apply it when you first cut it, you will have to drill holes in the
trunk and put it in. Go to a good garden center and ask for a good
stump killer. The directions are on the package. In the meantime,
keep mowing down the suckers, because if they can't put out leaves,
they can't grow.

Jonny wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...