GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   seeking advice on small bush for wet spot (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/texas/14744-seeking-advice-small-bush-wet-spot.html)

Ethelred the Unready 13-04-2003 05:44 AM

seeking advice on small bush for wet spot

Hi all,

I have a small damp spot in my yard. I originally put in Texas Sage but
they hate damp roots so the died. Now I am looking for something else
to put there.

The bed is against the house. There are yellow lantana, red salvia, and
compact nandina in the bed.

I had thought about horsetail but they seem too invasive.

Any suggestions or favorites which can take damp roots?

Thanks to all,

Ethelred

N. Woolley 13-04-2003 02:32 PM

seeking advice on small bush for wet spot

Inland Sea Oats. You can see it at the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center.

J Kolenovsky 13-04-2003 10:56 PM

seeking advice on small bush for wet spot

This list from Texas Parks and Wildlife may be of help:
http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/oak_prai...apes_plants.p=
df

J. Kolenovsky

"N. Woolley" wrote:
=

Inland Sea Oats. You can see it at the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Cen=

ter.

-- =

J. Kolenovsky, A+, Network +, MCP
=F4=BF=F4 - http://www.celestialhabitats.com - commercial
=F4=BF=F4 - http://www.hal-pc.org/~garden/personal.html

Spam-A-Ram-A 14-04-2003 01:09 PM

seeking advice on small bush for wet spot

How 'bout some dickweed?

(Sorry, couldn't resist)

N. Woolley 14-04-2003 01:45 PM

seeking advice on small bush for wet spot

Is that from Kelly Bender's book?

To the other poster with the original question- find the book Wildscapes
by Kelly Bender. Available at local bookstores or libraries. Great resource.

N. Woolley
Friends of Bright Leaf

Terry Horton 14-04-2003 02:11 PM

seeking advice on small bush for wet spot

On Sun, 13 Apr 2003 05:15:51 -0500, J Kolenovsky
wrote:

This list from Texas Parks and Wildlife may be of help:
http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/oak_prai...pes_plants.pdf

Isn't there one of those for Austin? :-)

Terry Horton 14-04-2003 02:32 PM

seeking advice on small bush for wet spot

On Sun, 13 Apr 2003 04:37:44 GMT, "Ethelred the Unready"
wrote:

I have a small damp spot in my yard. I originally put in Texas Sage but
they hate damp roots so the died. Now I am looking for something else
to put there.

The bed is against the house. There are yellow lantana, red salvia, and
compact nandina in the bed.

I had thought about horsetail but they seem too invasive.

Like palms? If so Texas palmetto (_Sabal minor_) could be a candidate.
Can tolerate both wet alkaline soils and drought. Mine aren't the
toughest plants I have but pretty close to it, growing 100% neglected
down by the creek. You can see them at Lady Bird and buy them from the
usual suspects: Barton Springs Nursery and the Natural Gardener.
http://web.novaone.net/DallasPalms/i...son11-2000.jpg

Terry Horton 14-04-2003 05:10 PM

seeking advice on small bush for wet spot

wrote:

This list from Texas Parks and Wildlife may be of help:
http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/oak_prai...pes_plants.pdf

Isn't there one of those for Austin? :-)

It is for Austin.

Actually the post oak savannah lies generally south and east of here
(map at http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/oak_prai...tory/index.htm).
That said, most on the list should do well here in suitable locations.
However a few are quite ill-adapted for Austin (a number of the oaks
for instance). And some important native species are absent (notably
Quercus texana).

For the Austin and the Hill Country I found:
http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/southtx_...wildscapes.pdf
For South Texas:
http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/southtx_...appendix_s.pdf

Mix and match as required. :-)