GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   aphids on crepe myrtles (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/texas/147632-aphids-crepe-myrtles.html)

Latosha Washington 12-07-2006 05:34 AM

aphids on crepe myrtles

I have aphids on my crepe myrtles and they put out that black tar type
stuff. Although the plants are healthy, the blooms/flowers are limited
severely by these things.

I've sprayed with neem twice but they are still there.

Any good ideas?

[email protected] 12-07-2006 05:53 AM

aphids on crepe myrtles

When the aphids are gone, the mold (which grows on their excretions)
will eventually dry up and fall off. To get rid of both, you can use
this:

1/3 cup Murphy's Oil Soap
1 tablespoon baking soda (this kills the mold)
1 gallon of water.

BE SURE to spray in early evening or early morning, when it is cool.
Otherwise, the oil will damage the plants.

Mike Harris 12-07-2006 04:55 PM

aphids on crepe myrtles

I've had good success with an orange oil spray for this problem. The orange
oil also suppresses and washes away the mold.

Tanglefoot on the trunks also helps; it will keep the ants out of the trees
and allow the aphids' natural predators to work undisturbed.
--
Mike Harris
Austin, TX

oups.com...