Old 23-07-2006, 06:19 PM posted to austin.gardening

Default Texas-sized Cockroaches

In article ,
Steve Wertz wrote:

I've been seeing a lot of these large brown cockroaches, about
1.5" long and 1" wide. Some fly, but mustly they just seem to
crawl. They're not in the kitchen, they're just in random places
in the house, and where you'd least expect them.

How do they get in and what are they looking for, other than
cheap thrills? And more importantly, how do you get rid of them
when they're not concentrated in any one part of the house? I
see maybe 3 a week. All adults.

Palmetto bugs... They are mostly coming in after water.
Keep all food sources cleaned up so they cannot get into them, and pick
up a box of Echols roach tablets.

And get a cat. ;-)

This happens during the driest part of the summer. I don't see a lot of
live ones anymore, maybe 1 every 2 or 3 months. I generally find their
remains when the cats are done with them. G

Echols tablets are inexpensive and effective. Place them under sinks,
behind the stove and other places roaches might travel. Like mice, they
hug the walls.

This is what has worked for me.

I found what looked to be a empty egg casing this morning, and
where it hatched, it melted a dime-sized hole in the carpet.
Pretty scarry.

-sw

Leave the cobwebs in the closets alone. Your house spiders are very
effective in keeping the younger roaches cleaned up. I used to do that
in my apt. in Temple. It worked. I always found baby palmettos tangled
in the webs when I dusted periodically. I no longer have to do that
tho', that was back when I was in college.

Hope this helps?

You can also lay some 10% sevin along the outside of your foundation.
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Old 23-07-2006, 08:03 PM posted to austin.gardening

You went to college in Temple?
With hope and heart,
Kathleen
--
You never know how much you really believe anything
until its truth or falsehood becomes a matter of life or death to you.

Old 23-07-2006, 09:24 PM posted to austin.gardening

In article ,
"Kathleen" wrote:

You went to college in Temple?
With hope and heart,
Kathleen
--
You never know how much you really believe anything
until its truth or falsehood becomes a matter of life or death to you.
~ C.S.Lewis

Just my Senior year...

I graduated from Texas State here in San Marcos but at that time, the
senior clinical rotation for BS-MT's was at the hospitals in Temple so I
had to move there for that last year.
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Old 24-07-2006, 04:31 PM posted to austin.gardening

Steve Wertz wrote:

[...]

In addition to the cat - you might want to be sure that there are no leaves
or other debris (e.g. plywood sheets) near your foundation.

When we bought our house it had been owned by the neighborhood slumlord -
who only rented to illegals as he knew they wouldn't complain. In addition
to living with no hot water and faulty electric wiring, it was apparently
news to the tenants that the city of Austin came by once a week to collect
the trash. They'd been stacking it on the service porch for months (!)
Needless to say we had plenty of unwanted housemates. We concentrated on
cleaning & repairing the interior of the house at first; so didn't start to
see a decline in the large roaches coming in from outside until after we
started on the yard and cleaned the trash and debris from near the
foundation.
--
Mike Harris
Austin, TX

Old 24-07-2006, 05:41 PM posted to austin.gardening

* Steve Wertz wrote, On 7/24/2006 10:32 AM:

I figured they were probably Palmetto Bugs - a somewhat glamorous
name for a huge, ugly cockroach. They don't hang out in the
kitchen any more than they do any other area of the house, it's
just that I find them in such odd spots (like flinging off the
ceiling fan in my room when I turn it on, or under paperwork next
to the computer).

I went out and got a 25lb bag of something to spread around the
foundation, and some Ortho stuff for inside around vent/pipe/door
openings.

I couldn't find any of the stuff you mentioned at either Home
Depot or Lowes. I did find some Sevin powder, but that required a
duster (which they didn't have, and I probably wouldn't have
invested in anyway).

-sw

I haven't been seeing any lately, except a dead one on the floor. My
weiner dog got it. She's a roacher!

Old 24-07-2006, 06:05 PM posted to austin.gardening

"Steve Wertz" wrote in message
I couldn't find any of the stuff you mentioned at either Home
Depot or Lowes. I did find some Sevin powder, but that required a
duster (which they didn't have, and I probably wouldn't have
invested in anyway).

-sw

Big box store? Well, there's your problem right there! G

Insecticide duster - old nylon stocking and a stick...
--
Mike Harris
....who HAS been known to frequent Lowes Depot on occasion

Old 24-07-2006, 06:51 PM posted to austin.gardening

In article t,
"Mike Harris" wrote:

[...]

Good advice.

That works for scorpions and rodents too.
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Old 24-07-2006, 06:54 PM posted to austin.gardening

In article ,
Steve Wertz wrote:

On Sun, 23 Jul 2006 11:19:44 -0500, OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

In article ,
Steve Wertz wrote:

[...]

lol I can empathize! When I lived in Temple, I'd generally see them
running across the ceiling when I got home from work and turned on the
light in my Apt. Once I started using the roach tablets, I started
finding dead ones in the middle of the livingroom and kitchen floors
instead. ;-)

I went out and got a 25lb bag of something to spread around the
foundation, and some Ortho stuff for inside around vent/pipe/door
openings.

I couldn't find any of the stuff you mentioned at either Home
Depot or Lowes. I did find some Sevin powder, but that required a
duster (which they didn't have, and I probably wouldn't have
invested in anyway).

-sw

The nice thing about the Echols roach tablets is that they are not very
toxic. All they are is a Boric Acid bait tablet. You can also make your
own boric acid baits. Those can be googled. :-)

I get mine at HEB. The home improvement centers don't carry them.

They are cheap and are pretty effective... but not as effective as cats.
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Old 24-07-2006, 06:56 PM posted to austin.gardening

In article t,
Cindy wrote:

[...]

Pets seem to think that Palmetto bugs make great toys eh? lol
My cats love the damned things.
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Old 24-07-2006, 06:56 PM posted to austin.gardening

In article ,
"Mike Harris" wrote:

"Steve Wertz" wrote in message
I couldn't find any of the stuff you mentioned at either Home
Depot or Lowes. I did find some Sevin powder, but that required a
duster (which they didn't have, and I probably wouldn't have
invested in anyway).

-sw

Big box store? Well, there's your problem right there! G

Insecticide duster - old nylon stocking and a stick...
--
Mike Harris
...who HAS been known to frequent Lowes Depot on occasion
Austin, TX

You can also use a quart jar with holes poked in the lid...... QED.
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson

cockroaches andrew[_3_] Orchids 6 15-12-2008 12:13 AM
Cockroaches emntee Orchids 1 20-12-2007 06:04 PM
Sourcing special-sized water butts John Dann United Kingdom 17 08-02-2004 03:48 PM
Cockroaches sqArk Permaculture 4 10-01-2004 04:09 AM
what's the name of the shrub that has marble sized.shaped white fruit? dave @ stejonda United Kingdom 9 22-11-2002 07:11 PM