Old 26-07-2006, 02:36 AM posted to austin.gardening

Default Walking Sticks - Dangerous or not?

Found one of these (walking sticks) on my front porch today. No, not the
type that you use as a cane, but the insect - a good 8 inches long. I
flicked it off into the bushes (with a broom!). He really didn't resist
much - really, not at all. Let me flip him on his back even, I wonder if he
was close to dead? Or do they "play possum?"

Pic of the beast in question can be found he
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/raven_...cd.jpg&.src=ph

My father tells the story about when he was cleaning up some brush around
the garage into a box and somehow picked up a "nest" of them. Apparently
they were reaaaallly mad and went after him. I'm pretty sure I was there -
I seem to remember him defending himself with a shovel while one of them
literally went after it, hitting it repeatedly with the end of it's abdomen,
curled up like a scorpion.

A search online doesn't reveal much. So how dangerous are these creatures?
Anyone have any stories? Do I need to be nervous in the garden now?

TIA,
Julie

Old 26-07-2006, 03:09 AM posted to austin.gardening

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/raven_...dnm=38e3scd.jp
g&.src=ph

My father tells the story about when he was cleaning up some brush around
the garage into a box and somehow picked up a "nest" of them. Apparently
they were reaaaallly mad and went after him. I'm pretty sure I was there -
I seem to remember him defending himself with a shovel while one of them
literally went after it, hitting it repeatedly with the end of it's abdomen,
curled up like a scorpion.

A search online doesn't reveal much. So how dangerous are these creatures?
Anyone have any stories? Do I need to be nervous in the garden now?

TIA,
Julie

Walking sticks are harmless insect predators and are NOT aggressive...
Leave the poor things alone please?

They are no more dangerous than a preying mantis.
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Old 26-07-2006, 03:19 AM posted to austin.gardening

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" wrote in message
In article ,
"marcesent" wrote:

Found one of these (walking sticks) on my front porch today. No, not the

Walking sticks are harmless insect predators and are NOT aggressive...
Leave the poor things alone please?

They are no more dangerous than a preying mantis.

Oh trust me, I'm a bug lover. I wouldn't have even bothered him had he not
been right where I might put my hand on the door frame.

It seems there are some varieties in the south that will spray an "acrid
fluid" that can damage your eyes when disturbed
(http://www.texasento.net/sticks.htm). But looking at the pics from that
site that doesn't seem to be my variety.

Well he now has a new home in my bushes, so hopefully he'll find a meal or
two.

I am still interested in hearing from others about any personal "run-ins"
they've had - just because I want to see if anyone had an aggressive
experience with them like my father (who is a bug lover too). I know they
should be passive, but, his weren't.

Julie

Old 26-07-2006, 03:26 AM posted to austin.gardening

"marcesent" wrote:

[...]

Either that or what attacked him were not walking sticks.
I have a close friend that was attacked as a child by a swarm of locusts.
She had bites all over her. She's been terrified of large grasshoppers
all of her life since that incident.

I've seen some pretty big grasshoppers.

Your dad also could have been telling a tall tale. ;-)
No offense meant.

I've played with many a walking stick as I find them to be rather
fascinating. So far, no harm, no foul.
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Old 26-07-2006, 03:42 AM posted to austin.gardening

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" wrote in message
Either that or what attacked him were not walking sticks.
I have a close friend that was attacked as a child by a swarm of locusts.
She had bites all over her. She's been terrified of large grasshoppers
all of her life since that incident.

I've seen some pretty big grasshoppers.

Your dad also could have been telling a tall tale. ;-)
No offense meant.

None taken. As I said though, I do remember seeing it - I was 15 or so at
the time. I was out in the driveway with him. He was trying to "sweep" the
critter off the driveway with the shovel (that was the tool he had been
using, he had no intention of harming with it) and the thing kept coming at
him. And it looked like a walking stick, not a locust or grasshopper.

My mom was there too, she was a bit freaked out! She remembers it, but I
definitely think her version gets a bit "colored" with her high anxiety at
the time.

I should send an email to A&M and ask them if it's possible from the sticks
to get aggressive when disturbed when nesting. My main concern in asking
this is my daughter, my neighbor's dogs (miniature greyhounds - love to get
into the garden), and gardening with my bare hands and while barefoot. But
it's not a big worry.

I've played with many a walking stick as I find them to be rather
fascinating. So far, no harm, no foul.
--

You're much braver than me! But I have maintained a healthy curious respect
for them. It's funny, my Bachelor's from A&M is in Wildlife Biology -

But they get to live in my home too, and I hope they stay happy. It's nice
to see critters that the fire ants haven't driven out or eaten.

Julie

Old 26-07-2006, 03:50 AM posted to austin.gardening

marcesent wrote:

A search online doesn't reveal much. So how dangerous are these creatures?
Anyone have any stories? Do I need to be nervous in the garden now?
TIA,

Julie

They're not dangerous at all. As a kid, I grew up hearing these things
called "spit devils". Supposedly, they would spit some type of poison
into your eye that would be very painful for a long time. I believe
that it was my grandmother that burdened me with this tale. For a good
part of my life, I recoiled whenever I saw a "spit devil" just because I
believed that as a kid. Sometimes old wives tales die hard.

--
Gary Brady
Austin, TX

Old 26-07-2006, 03:55 AM posted to austin.gardening

"Gary Brady" wrote in message
nk.net...
marcesent wrote:
They're not dangerous at all. As a kid, I grew up hearing these things
called "spit devils". Supposedly, they would spit some type of poison
into your eye that would be very painful for a long time. I believe that
it was my grandmother that burdened me with this tale. For a good part of
my life, I recoiled whenever I saw a "spit devil" just because I believed
that as a kid. Sometimes old wives tales die hard.

Done some more searching - apparently some species do spray(?) some sort of
fluid that can burn the eyes
(http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...dopt=Abstract).

Perhaps you just have to get them really, really mad first.

Julie

Old 26-07-2006, 03:59 AM posted to austin.gardening

marcesent wrote:
Done some more searching - apparently some species do spray(?) some sort of
fluid that can burn the eyes
(http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...dopt=Abstract).

Perhaps you just have to get them really, really mad first.

More spit devil lo

http://peariverramblings.homestead.com/hoopsnakes.html

http://www.bigfootforums.com/lofiver...php/t1860.html

For all the stories, I've never seen one spit.
--
Gary Brady
Austin, TX

Old 26-07-2006, 04:17 AM posted to austin.gardening

"Gary Brady" wrote in message
nk.net...

For all the stories, I've never seen one spit.
--
Gary Brady
Austin, TX

A-HA! I found the Texas A&M Entomology discussion on the topic:

http://insects.tamu.edu/fact_fiction/walkingstick.cfm

Apparently they can cause spray injuries: "However, Jackman notes that if
disturbed the native species, A. buprestoides, is reported to be capable of
causing temporary eye injury in one study. Furthermore, we have had a few
contacts from the public that provided testimonials that they have been
sprayed with a caustic substance or were even temporarily blinded. The
entomologist advises, "The best thing to do if you encounter a walkingstick
is to leave it alone. "

I'm sure that the "spit devil" thing started with that - and then grew into
an urban legend.

Also says that they don't eat other bugs - they eat leaves.

Interesting article. I'll be leaving the sticks alone - and at peace.

Julie

Old 26-07-2006, 05:19 AM posted to austin.gardening

In article , marcesent
wrote:

"Gary Brady" wrote in message
nk.net...

[...]

Well, I have seen one spit. We had a cat many years ago in Baton Rouge
that was "playing" with a spit devil like cats play with lizards. The
spit devil did spit in her eye this caused her to shake her head and
look a bit stunned. Then she promptly squashed it and ate it. This was
the biggest walking stick I have ever seen. So I was curious about it
and watched the whole thing. I have never seen one do such a thing
before or since. I would say that the insect was provoked.

Cea

Old 26-07-2006, 05:32 AM posted to austin.gardening

Snip

Well, I have seen one spit. We had a cat many years ago in Baton Rouge
that was "playing" with a spit devil like cats play with lizards. The
spit devil did spit in her eye this caused her to shake her head and
look a bit stunned. Then she promptly squashed it and ate it. This was
the biggest walking stick I have ever seen. So I was curious about it
and watched the whole thing. I have never seen one do such a thing
before or since. I would say that the insect was provoked.

Cea

I have also seen a Walking Stick spray. We were down in Port Aransas
and there was a large one on the side of the walkway. Our dog decided
to check it out and when it got too close the Walking Stick sprayed her.
It didn't seem to harm the dog any, though she did smell a little weird
for a couple of days, even after swimming at the beach and a couple of
baths.

I've also smelled the same smell on my hands after handling these at
other times. So far, no permanent damage. :-)

Scott H. Sexton help@
www.sexton.com sexton.com
Eeyore's Birthday Party http://eeyores.sexton.com
Old 26-07-2006, 01:03 PM posted to austin.gardening

marcesent wrote:
|| "OmManiPadmeOmelet" wrote in message
||| Either that or what attacked him were not walking sticks.
||| I have a close friend that was attacked as a child by a
||| swarm of locusts. She had bites all over her. She's been
||| terrified of large grasshoppers
||| all of her life since that incident.
||| I've seen some pretty big grasshoppers.
||| Your dad also could have been telling a tall tale. ;-)
||| No offense meant.
|| None taken. As I said though, I do remember seeing it - I
|| was 15 or so at the time. I was out in the driveway with
|| him. He was trying to "sweep" the critter off the driveway
|| with the shovel (that was the tool he had been using, he had
|| no intention of harming with it) and the thing kept coming at
|| him. And it looked like a walking stick, not a locust or
|| grasshopper.
|| My mom was there too, she was a bit freaked out! She
|| remembers it, but I definitely think her version gets a bit
|| "colored" with her high anxiety at the time.
|| I should send an email to A&M and ask them if it's possible
|| from the sticks to get aggressive when disturbed when
|| nesting. My main concern in asking this is my daughter, my
|| neighbor's dogs (miniature greyhounds - love to get into the
|| garden), and gardening with my bare hands and while barefoot.
|| But it's not a big worry.
||| I've played with many a walking stick as I find them to be
||| rather fascinating. So far, no harm, no foul.
||| --
|| You're much braver than me! But I have maintained a healthy
|| curious respect for them. It's funny, my Bachelor's from A&M
|| is in Wildlife Biology - aquatic biology and herpetology.
|| I've handled more snakes and lizards and frogs and
|| traditionally "creepy" things without batting an eye - I find
|| them fascinating. But I couldn't bring myself to study
|| insects, and definitely can't touch them. Aren't phobias
|| weird?
|| But they get to live in my home too, and I hope they stay
|| happy. It's nice to see critters that the fire ants haven't
|| driven out or eaten.
|| Julie

You have been watching too many giant bug movies....

"Fear is the parent of cruelty." -- James Anthony Froude

http://www.obsessionthemovie.com
http://home.swbell.net/bjtexas/SS/

Old 26-07-2006, 03:25 PM posted to austin.gardening

In article ,
"marcesent" wrote:

[...]

Insects I believe are not intelligent enough to reason... or to attack
unless they think you are "food" for some reason?

It probably kept coming towards him 'cause it was too dumb to do
anything else and just wanted to go that way? G

I think the stories of people being "chased" by water moccasin snakes
are pretty much the same thing. The snake is just trying to get away,
but too stupid to move in the right direction.

Best thing to do is to step aside?

But yeah, I'd be curious to see what A&M says. I'm always up for an
education if I am wrong. ;-)
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Old 26-07-2006, 03:26 PM posted to austin.gardening

In article ,
"marcesent" wrote:

"Gary Brady" wrote in message
nk.net...
marcesent wrote:
They're not dangerous at all. As a kid, I grew up hearing these things
called "spit devils". Supposedly, they would spit some type of poison
into your eye that would be very painful for a long time. I believe that
it was my grandmother that burdened me with this tale. For a good part of
my life, I recoiled whenever I saw a "spit devil" just because I believed
that as a kid. Sometimes old wives tales die hard.

Done some more searching - apparently some species do spray(?) some sort of
fluid that can burn the eyes
(http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...ubMed&list_uid
s=11150287&dopt=Abstract).

Perhaps you just have to get them really, really mad first.

Julie

Ever had a horned lizard spit blood at you from it's eyes?
It's rare, but I did have it happen a couple of times when I was a kid.
They play dead too after they do it.

It's freaky, and it stains your shirt. G
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Old 26-07-2006, 03:27 PM posted to austin.gardening

In article et,
Gary Brady wrote:

marcesent wrote:
Done some more searching - apparently some species do spray(?) some sort of
fluid that can burn the eyes
(http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...=PubMed&list_u
ids=11150287&dopt=Abstract).

Perhaps you just have to get them really, really mad first.

More spit devil lo

http://peariverramblings.homestead.com/hoopsnakes.html

http://www.bigfootforums.com/lofiver...php/t1860.html

For all the stories, I've never seen one spit.

Me neither, but I was always gentle with them and just let them crawl on
me, then returned them to a safe location.
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson

new things for walking sticks meemaw Gardening 4 01-05-2007 08:45 PM
walking sticks meemaw Texas 1 29-04-2007 08:17 AM
PHOTO OF THE WEEK, Walking Sticks Doing It [email protected] Gardening 0 30-11-2005 04:23 AM
K2O, dangerous or not? Skunky Freshwater Aquaria Plants 8 01-07-2003 05:08 AM
Walking Sticks? Martin C. Jensen Gardening 0 21-04-2003 06:44 PM