GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Carpenter Ants (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/texas/148968-carpenter-ants.html)

[email protected] 22-08-2006 01:40 PM

Carpenter Ants

As I understand it, to eliminate Carpenter Ants a bait specific to them
is needed. I've looked around the area local stores, but haven't found
any. I know the ants don't do much/if any damage, but I want them gone!
Anyone know where the bait can be found locally? Not interested in
internet purchasing....way too expensive.

Dave S(Texas)

Jangchub 22-08-2006 03:31 PM

Carpenter Ants

On Tue, 22 Aug 2006 07:40:41 -0500, wrote:

As I understand it, to eliminate Carpenter Ants a bait specific to them
is needed. I've looked around the area local stores, but haven't found
any. I know the ants don't do much/if any damage, but I want them gone!
Anyone know where the bait can be found locally? Not interested in
internet purchasing....way too expensive.

Dave S(Texas)

Sure, you can buy it at Home Depot or Lowes. It has the same shape
container as Amdro, and it has a green and black label. Enough for a
few years or to treat an entire property several times and I believe
it's about nine dollars.

If you have in infestation, they can cause structural damage, just not
as fast or bad as termites. Check for leaks, also in try to follow
them seeing where they come from. They come out at night. My poor
husband climbs up on the roof at night to see where they are entering
and he put bait in the attic. Most carpenter ants live in hollows in
trees so he dug a shallow trench around the entire tree and filled it
with Diatomaceous Earth, also sold at Lowes.

When we first had them, we needed an exterminator and we called Aztec
Pest Control which uses organic methods, but they definitely use
pyrethrum which is not non toxic.

Jonny 23-08-2006 03:36 AM

Carpenter Ants

http://www.ext.vt.edu/departments/en.../carpants.html

http://www.ext.vt.edu/pubs/entomolog...7/444-287.html

Be sure you got the critter right. Many people confuse the carpenter with
the acrobat. The lower photo in the latter weblink is more related, is more
accurate for our local acrobat ants. Anything that kills fire ants will
kill other ants including carpenter and acrobat.

I would suggest hiring a bonafide, licensed exterminator to smoke em' out to
find the nest(s). You can take it from there, to control the residuals.

This time of year, all the insects are thirsty. (especially this year)
Look for leaking plumbing, or AC dumping water someplace. To paint a better
picture of their thirst, my hummingbird feeder has floating acrobat dead
ants on the liquid's surface. Its a feat just for the ants to get to it.
Eliminate the food and water sources, and the battle is half done.
--
Jonny

[email protected] 23-08-2006 01:26 PM

Carpenter Ants

Anything that kills fire ants will kill other
ants including carpenter and acrobat.

Wrong! According to my County Ag agent, the bait for carpenter ants is
specific. That is the reason I asked about finding the bait in the
first place.

As to removing the food/water source. I suppose I could quit my 5-day
watering schedule and chop down my Pecan tree....I don't believe I'll do
either.

Dave S(Texas)

Jangchub 23-08-2006 02:52 PM

Carpenter Ants

On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 07:26:28 -0500, wrote:

Anything that kills fire ants will kill other
ants including carpenter and acrobat.

Wrong! According to my County Ag agent, the bait for carpenter ants is
specific. That is the reason I asked about finding the bait in the
first place.

As to removing the food/water source. I suppose I could quit my 5-day
watering schedule and chop down my Pecan tree....I don't believe I'll do
either.

Dave S(Texas)

No, just go up to Lowes and they sell the bait and it's made by the
same people who make Amdro. We've used it with good success. I
should say my husband used it.

[email protected] 24-08-2006 02:13 PM

Carpenter Ants

just go up to Lowes and they sell the bait

Thanks. Off to that place. I try to stay away from those
places.....there are so many things I 'should' have/need in those
stores!

Dave S(Texas)

Tom 14-09-2006 09:41 PM

Carpenter Ants

wrote in message
As I understand it, to eliminate Carpenter Ants a bait specific to them
is needed. I've looked around the area local stores, but haven't found
any. I know the ants don't do much/if any damage, but I want them gone!
Anyone know where the bait can be found locally? Not interested in
internet purchasing....way too expensive.

Dave S(Texas)

I haven't tested this specifically for carpenter ants, but it is worth a try
and it's cheap. It won't kill ants, but will sure keep them away (and maybe
shoo them away to your neighbor's) . Soap, yes soap, keeps ants away (but
won't kill them). After spraying the interior of the house with the normal
ant killer spray, for future preventative intrusion spray around the house
exterior a liquid film of soap, such as liquid dish soap. It is non-toxic
to humans and pets.

Tom

[email protected] 17-09-2006 11:34 PM

Carpenter Ants

I fpersonally found the perfect solution that won't harm humans and
pets ~ and it works instantly. Go to
http://www.natural-ant-killer.com. It only costs $19.45 + tax and it
is guaranteed to work.

Oh, and it works on all ants! Good luck!

[email protected] 17-09-2006 11:58 PM

Carpenter Ants

Killing ants inside house can be tricky unless you know the product to
use that won't harm your pets or children. www.natural-ant-killer.com
is the only product that I will ever use and at a cost of only $19.45
it is economical too!

dt 18-09-2006 03:21 PM

Carpenter Ants

wrote:

Killing ants inside house can be tricky unless you know the product to
use that won't harm your pets or children.
www.natural-ant-killer.com
is the only product that I will ever use and at a cost of only $19.45
it is economical too!

Let's see, here, Gary. Your last name is Weddell, as is Connie's on the
website. And you're trying to sell me "surfactant", or soap for $20?

Smells a lot like spam, don't it?

DT