GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   brown tips on oak sapllng (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/texas/149145-brown-tips-oak-sapllng.html)

Doug Lassiter 28-08-2006 01:06 PM

brown tips on oak sapllng

Put in a four-foot bare root Chinquapin oak sapling this spring. It
took off, and filled out nicely. But the leaves are now starting to get
brown edges. I'm trying to soak it regularly. Can I assume that this is
just understandable heat stress from which it will recover? It's been a
wickedly hot summer.

Zzyzx 28-08-2006 01:26 PM

brown tips on oak sapllng

"Doug Lassiter" wrote in message
ups.com...
Put in a four-foot bare root Chinquapin oak sapling this spring. It
took off, and filled out nicely. But the leaves are now starting to get
brown edges. I'm trying to soak it regularly. Can I assume that this is
just understandable heat stress from which it will recover? It's been a
wickedly hot summer.

I planted a 25Gal Chinquapin oak about 1 1/2 months ago about 98% of the
leaves turned brown and fell off in about a 2 week time. I also planted a
Monterey Oak that is 1/2 brown right now. The Texas Ash, Shumard Oak and
Multi-Trunked Redbud seem to be doing ok. They ALL have the same watering
patterns

Victor Martinez 28-08-2006 01:28 PM

brown tips on oak sapllng

Doug Lassiter wrote:
Put in a four-foot bare root Chinquapin oak sapling this spring. It
took off, and filled out nicely. But the leaves are now starting to get
brown edges. I'm trying to soak it regularly. Can I assume that this is
just understandable heat stress from which it will recover? It's been a
wickedly hot summer.

Keep giving it deep waterings every few days and it should be ok.
Remember to let the ground dry somewhat before you water again. Fastest
way to kill a new tree is over-watering. Or not watering enough... :)
And remember, fall is the best time of year to plant trees around here.
Gives trees enough time to develop roots to deal with our wickedly hot
summers.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Doug Lassiter 28-08-2006 03:47 PM

brown tips on oak sapllng

Thanks. That's reassuring. The tree went in in February but, as you
say, fall probably would have been more optimal.

This has been a remarkable summer. I think we're all a little brown
around the edges right now.