GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Fall / winter vegetable garden (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/texas/149373-fall-winter-vegetable-garden.html)

Mike Harris[_1_] 05-09-2006 03:41 PM

Fall / winter vegetable garden

Anyone have any suggestions on what y'all plant this month?

I like chard, beets and the brassicas, but my Loving Bride does not.
Lettuce is about the only cool weather crop that I plant that she enjoys so
I'm wanting to diversify.
--
Mike Harris
Austin, TX

deepeddygirl 05-09-2006 04:25 PM

Mike Harris wrote:

Anyone have any suggestions on what y'all plant this month?

I like chard, beets and the brassicas, but my Loving Bride does not.
Lettuce is about the only cool weather crop that I plant that she enjoys so
I'm wanting to diversify.
--
Mike Harris
Austin, TX

Going by the Travis County Extension calendar, I'm planting snap beans,
parsley, snap peas, and snow peas. I just got the potatoes in the
ground - a bit after 9/1, but it's been so damn hot, I put it off. I did
plant some cucs last month and they are finally coming up. :)

Mike Harris[_1_] 05-09-2006 04:48 PM

"deepeddygirl" wrote in message
Mike Harris wrote:

Anyone have any suggestions on what y'all plant this month?

I like chard, beets and the brassicas, but my Loving Bride does not.
Lettuce is about the only cool weather crop that I plant that she enjoys
so I'm wanting to diversify.
--
Mike Harris
Austin, TX

Going by the Travis County Extension calendar, I'm planting snap beans,
parsley, snap peas, and snow peas. I just got the potatoes in the
ground - a bit after 9/1, but it's been so damn hot, I put it off. I did
plant some cucs last month and they are finally coming up. :)

Do you have any experience with any of these? Any varieties you
particularly favor or that have worked well for you?

Perhaps I should clarify. I'm quite familiar with the Extension calendar of
course; I was hoping for a little bit more detail beyond "Peas, Garden -
September & October."

Thanks,
--
Mike Harris
Austin, TX

deepeddygirl 05-09-2006 04:53 PM

Mike Harris wrote:

[...]

OIC - sorry about that! Not really, I'm getting my first garden in after
a 15-year hiatus. I have had good success with seeds purchased at
Emerald Garden (290West) and the plants purchased at Natural Gardener.
It would have been perfect if I had been able to get my hands on a
banana pepper, but oh well - there is always next year.

Mike Harris[_1_] 05-09-2006 05:08 PM

Fall / winter vegetable garden

"deepeddygirl" wrote in message
OIC - sorry about that! Not really, I'm getting my first garden in after a
15-year hiatus. I have had good success with seeds purchased at Emerald
Garden (290West) and the plants purchased at Natural Gardener. It would
have been perfect if I had been able to get my hands on a banana pepper,
but oh well - there is always next year.

Instead of seed packets, what's wrong with, y'know, an actual banana pepper?
G As far as I know they aren't commonly hybridized so you should have
good luck with that.

I grow serranos year-round in pots, bringing them inside to a sunny
windowsill for the winter. They aren't nearly as prolific in the colder
months but at least I can get my fresh chile fix.
--
Mike Harris
Austin, TX