Old 28-09-2006, 06:34 PM posted to austin.gardening

Default help - protection for Angel's Fishing Rod

Hi everyone I live in Vancouver BC but I am hoping since your climate is
warmer you may grow this plant more frequently then we do here (I can't find
anyone who does grow it) and have some suggestions about storing the corm -
botanical name - Dierama pendulem (ignore incorrect spelling please). Our
winter can have 3-7 days of freezing temps so should I leave it outside
covered or inside in dirt or without dirt? Any help would be really
appreciated Jean

Old 28-09-2006, 08:06 PM posted to austin.gardening

"clarissa" wrote in message
Hi everyone I live in Vancouver BC but I am hoping since your climate is
warmer you may grow this plant more frequently then we do here (I can't
find
anyone who does grow it) and have some suggestions about storing the
corm -
botanical name - Dierama pendulem (ignore incorrect spelling please). Our
winter can have 3-7 days of freezing temps so should I leave it outside
covered or inside in dirt or without dirt? Any help would be really
appreciated Jean

http://www.plantzafrica.com/plantcd/dieramapend.htm

I've never seen this grown here either. Unlike the PNW Austin soils and
water are alkaline, which may be part of the reason.

Furthermore, I believe that you're wildly optimistic in your hope that we'd
know how to protect a subsoil corm from freezing temperatures in any case.
--
Mike Harris
Austin, TX