GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Curious "Slime" (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/texas/156315-curious-slime.html)

charliekilo 04-04-2007 08:38 PM

Curious "Slime"

Yesterday (Tuesday) afternoon I noticed a spot about 12" X 3" of a bright
yellow slime sitting on top of my hardwood mulch (with direct sun exposure).
It had the look and consistency almost like an animal vomited...except that
the color was SO bright yellow that it looked artificial. I poked it with a
stick revealing a consistency similar to a thick molasses and had a slightly
sweet odor.

Early this morning (Wednesday) I wheeled out my trash and noticed that the
patch was now about 3" high, has a light powdery shell and firm-moist
center. It has almost behaved like a very slow acting liquid foam insulation
like used in home building/repair. I suspect some type of fungus but it was
in such a liquid form yesterday I have some doubt.

Anyone have an idea what this might be?

charliekilo 05-04-2007 02:37 PM

Curious "Slime"

wrote:

[...]

A quick search on Yahoo and b-i-n-g-o, you are correct. Thanks!

Jangchub 05-04-2007 11:43 PM

Curious "Slime"

On Thu, 05 Apr 2007 13:37:52 GMT, "charliekilo"
wrote:

slime mold

A quick search on Yahoo and b-i-n-g-o, you are correct. Thanks!

TA DA! Glad to help. Actually, it's not too bad if you have that.
It can sometimes indicate soil health with plenty of fungi.