GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Saint Augustine plugs (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/texas/156580-saint-augustine-plugs.html)

psiflyer 09-04-2007 10:50 PM

Saint Augustine plugs

I recently bought a house in Austin and I have a not so well
maintained Saint Augustine lawn with few dead grass spots. Apparently
no seeds are available for Saint Augustine. Any idea where I can buy
small plugs (3x3) in Austin?
Thanks
psi

WoolyGooly 10-04-2007 02:46 PM

Saint Augustine plugs

On 9 Apr 2007 14:50:37 -0700, "psiflyer" wrote:

I recently bought a house in Austin and I have a not so well
maintained Saint Augustine lawn with few dead grass spots. Apparently
no seeds are available for Saint Augustine. Any idea where I can buy
small plugs (3x3) in Austin?
Thanks
psi

If you've got good St. Augie elsewhere on the lawn you can make your
own plugs with a sharp spade, just take a few small squares from spots
not visible from the street. The stuff regenerates quickly so the
divots you make will disappear in a week or two.

Lil' Dave 10-04-2007 02:55 PM

Saint Augustine plugs

"WoolyGooly" wrote in message
On 9 Apr 2007 14:50:37 -0700, "psiflyer" wrote:

I recently bought a house in Austin and I have a not so well
maintained Saint Augustine lawn with few dead grass spots. Apparently
no seeds are available for Saint Augustine. Any idea where I can buy
small plugs (3x3) in Austin?
Thanks
psi

If you've got good St. Augie elsewhere on the lawn you can make your
own plugs with a sharp spade, just take a few small squares from spots
not visible from the street. The stuff regenerates quickly so the
divots you make will disappear in a week or two.

They make a tool that does exactly that job for cutting out a plug. Can
also be used to make the hole to drop the plug into.
Dave