GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Need Help Deciding What Kind Of Tree I Need (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/texas/156745-need-help-deciding-what-kind-tree-i-need.html)

mab 12-04-2007 11:31 PM

Need Help Deciding What Kind Of Tree I Need

I'm looking for good Plum & Peach trees that will do well in full sun,
in austin, produces good peaches and plums to eat. What kind should I
get and do you know where I could get one?

mab 13-04-2007 12:28 AM

On Apr 12, 4:31 pm, "mab" wrote:
I'm looking for good Plum & Peach trees that will do well in full sun,
in austin, produces good peaches and plums to eat. What kind should I
get and do you know where I could get one?

I'm looking for suggestions(sorry I ment to put that in)

Jangchub 13-04-2007 03:45 AM

On 12 Apr 2007 14:31:52 -0700, "mab" wrote:

I'm looking for good Plum & Peach trees that will do well in full sun,
in austin, produces good peaches and plums to eat. What kind should I
get and do you know where I could get one?

The best peach I ever ate, which has very low chill hours (400 hours
under 45 degrees) is 'Dixieland.' You can buy one in any of the
better garden centers. It's a little late now for that, but you can
still check around. Call The Natural Gardener. That's where I bought
mine several years ago. It was a whip. Four years later it is 20
feet tall and wide, upside down umbrella pruned and after proper chill
hours it produced (2 years ago) 15 bushels. Last year I barely got a
peach, but that was because we didn't have but one very light frost
and no real cold weather for sustained period of time.

ceed 15-04-2007 08:00 AM

Need Help Deciding What Kind Of Tree I Need

"mab" wrote in news:1176413512.791765.146030
@n76g2000hsh.googlegroups.com:

I'm looking for good Plum & Peach trees that will do well in full sun,
in austin, produces good peaches and plums to eat. What kind should I
get and do you know where I could get one?

I have a couple of La Feliciana Peach trees. They seem to do well and give
a lot of wonderful fruit every year. The fruit is pale yellowish, and not
orange/red like most peaches, but the flavor is incredible!

--
//ceed

Treedweller 15-04-2007 06:57 PM

Need Help Deciding What Kind Of Tree I Need

On 12 Apr 2007 14:31:52 -0700, "mab" wrote:

I'm looking for good Plum & Peach trees that will do well in full sun,
in austin, produces good peaches and plums to eat. What kind should I
get and do you know where I could get one?

I just planted a Methley Plum and La feliciana peach, but it's too
soon to offer personal results. try this site:

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/e...one/stone.html

dt 16-04-2007 04:10 PM

Treedweller wrote:

On 12 Apr 2007 14:31:52 -0700, "mab" wrote:

I'm looking for good Plum & Peach trees that will do well in full sun,
in austin, produces good peaches and plums to eat. What kind should I
get and do you know where I could get one?

I just planted a Methley Plum and La feliciana peach, but it's too
soon to offer personal results. try this site:

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/e...one/stone.html

Oooooh, apricots! Nectarines!

DT