GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Citrus sightings (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/texas/157107-citrus-sightings.html)

WoolyGooly 20-04-2007 01:29 AM

Citrus sightings

Lowe's on Shoal Creek had, as of 90 minutes ago, one Meyer's lemon,
two "Texas Star" grapefruits, and many Satsuma mandarin oranges.

The lemon tree will make perfectly fine lemons and did actually look
better foliage-wise than the one I bought. IMO the graft is crap and
the rootstock has obviously thrown out several suckers including one
that's going gangbusters right now and that's why I bought the other
one even though it is somewhat spindly and appears to have been dumped
over a couple of times.

$30, plastic pots.

WoolyGooly 20-04-2007 07:07 PM

Citrus sightings

On Fri, 20 Apr 2007 08:07:56 -0500, Steve Wertz
wrote:

On Thu, 19 Apr 2007 19:29:14 -0500, WoolyGooly wrote:

Lowe's on Shoal Creek had, as of 90 minutes ago, one Meyer's lemon,
two "Texas Star" grapefruits, and many Satsuma mandarin oranges.

I need a kaffir lime tree. Do they grow here?

-sw

There are several on Ebay right now. 4" pots appear to sell for
$15-25 on average, plus shipping.

WoolyGooly 20-04-2007 07:09 PM

Citrus sightings

wrote:

I need a kaffir lime tree. Do they grow here?

Oh. If you grow it as a container plant why wouldn't it thrive around
here?

God Bless Texas 20-04-2007 11:20 PM

Citrus sightings

On Fri, 20 Apr 2007 08:07:56 -0500, Steve Wertz wrote:

On Thu, 19 Apr 2007 19:29:14 -0500, WoolyGooly wrote:

Lowe's on Shoal Creek had, as of 90 minutes ago, one Meyer's lemon,
two "Texas Star" grapefruits, and many Satsuma mandarin oranges.

I need a kaffir lime tree. Do they grow here?

Yes, but need to be potted and hauled in and out for frost etc.

Jangchub 21-04-2007 03:07 PM

Citrus sightings

wrote:

I need a kaffir lime tree. Do they grow here?

Oh. If you grow it as a container plant why wouldn't it thrive around
here?

I don't have kaffir, but I do have both an ordinary Meyers and a
variegated Myers (which has pink flesh) in large containers and they
produce dozens of lemons. I do have to protect them in winter with
blanket wraps and a tarp over that tied with rope, OR put them in the
greenhouse. They are evergreen in either condition, but will die if
left out during freezes.

Jim Marrs 28-04-2007 03:34 PM

Citrus sightings

Citrus trees cannot be imported into Texas. You need to buy Texas grown
trees. You can get a kaffir lime from these folks.

http://www.acornsprings.com/

Jim

FictionWriter 24-07-2007 05:35 AM

Citrus sightings

And they're prices are expensive.

But these folks: http://www.tropicalfruitnursery.com/ claim to have a
license to ship to texas. I've bought from them before, but not citrus.
Their prices are significantly lower.