GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Grapes in Austin (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/texas/157678-grapes-austin.html)

ceed 28-04-2007 08:25 PM

Grapes in Austin

Hi,

I planted a few grape plants I picked up cheap at Wal-Mart last summer.
They were nearly dried out so I didn't pay much for them. They didn't grow
much last year, and I was afraid they would just die. They didn't and came
back this spring and are now "all over the place". They are growing like
crazy climbing on the fence around my pool. However, they have no grapes on
them. When can I expect them to fruit for the first time? Are there things
I need to do to make them set fruit like pruning or something?

--
//ceed

Dave 29-04-2007 05:37 AM

Grapes in Austin

"ceed" wrote in message
Hi,

I planted a few grape plants I picked up cheap at Wal-Mart last summer.
They were nearly dried out so I didn't pay much for them. They didn't grow
much last year, and I was afraid they would just die. They didn't and came
back this spring and are now "all over the place". They are growing like
crazy climbing on the fence around my pool. However, they have no grapes
on
them. When can I expect them to fruit for the first time? Are there things
I need to do to make them set fruit like pruning or something?

--
//ceed

Grapes need to flower first.
--
Dave

Apathy and denial are close cousins

Omelet 29-04-2007 05:45 AM

Grapes in Austin

In article . net,
"Dave" wrote:

"ceed" wrote in message
Hi,

I planted a few grape plants I picked up cheap at Wal-Mart last summer.
They were nearly dried out so I didn't pay much for them. They didn't grow
much last year, and I was afraid they would just die. They didn't and came
back this spring and are now "all over the place". They are growing like
crazy climbing on the fence around my pool. However, they have no grapes
on
them. When can I expect them to fruit for the first time? Are there things
I need to do to make them set fruit like pruning or something?

--
//ceed

Grapes need to flower first.

My "wild" Muscadines bloomed 3 weeks ago and are already developing
grapes.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Omelet 30-04-2007 02:51 AM

Grapes in Austin

In article ,
Steve Wertz wrote:

On Sat, 28 Apr 2007 23:45:18 -0500, Omelet wrote:

My "wild" Muscadines bloomed 3 weeks ago and are already developing
grapes.

My neighbors concords are starting to put out as well. Too bad
they're sour, not sweet at all.

-sw

Are they getting enough water?
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Omelet 30-04-2007 03:19 AM

Grapes in Austin

In article ,
Steve Wertz wrote:

On Sun, 29 Apr 2007 20:51:46 -0500, Omelet wrote:

In article ,
Steve Wertz wrote:

On Sat, 28 Apr 2007 23:45:18 -0500, Omelet wrote:

My "wild" Muscadines bloomed 3 weeks ago and are already developing
grapes.

My neighbors concords are starting to put out as well. Too bad
they're sour, not sweet at all.

Are they getting enough water?

I suspect they only get rainwater.

-sw

I recall reading somewhere that grapes that don't get enough water tend
to be sour. I'm not 100% sure tho'.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

ceed 30-04-2007 12:18 PM

Grapes in Austin

"Dave" wrote in
ink.net:

Grapes need to flower first.

Yes of course. All fruit needs to flower first I guess. :) So for the
record, there hasn't been any flowers.

I read somewhere that grapes only bear fruit on older (last years) growth.
Could that be the problem since there's no last years growth on these
plants? They were a stick with a couple of leaves on them poking out of a
plastic bag when I bought and planted them last year.

--
//ceed

Dave 01-05-2007 04:25 AM

Grapes in Austin

"ceed" wrote in message
"Dave" wrote in
ink.net:

Grapes need to flower first.

Yes of course. All fruit needs to flower first I guess. :) So for the
record, there hasn't been any flowers.

I read somewhere that grapes only bear fruit on older (last years) growth.
Could that be the problem since there's no last years growth on these
plants? They were a stick with a couple of leaves on them poking out of a
plastic bag when I bought and planted them last year.

--
//ceed

You deleted your original post in your reply. Consider this a no reply as a
result.

ceed 03-05-2007 12:16 PM

Grapes in Austin

"Dave" wrote in
ink.net:

"ceed" wrote in message
"Dave" wrote in
ink.net:

Grapes need to flower first.

Yes of course. All fruit needs to flower first I guess. :) So for the
record, there hasn't been any flowers.

I read somewhere that grapes only bear fruit on older (last years)
growth. Could that be the problem since there's no last years growth
on these plants? They were a stick with a couple of leaves on them
poking out of a plastic bag when I bought and planted them last year.

--
//ceed

You deleted your original post in your reply. Consider this a no
reply as a result.

Sorry, I am not sure I understand what I deleted and where. Some of the
quoted text, or? And what's a no reply?

--
//ceed