Old 17-05-2007, 02:39 PM posted to austin.gardening

Default So this Meyer's Lemon

I have it in full sun (as per the care tag) and I'm feeding it Miracid
for azaleas every couple of weeks or after every big rain. I'm
keeping the soil moist but not soggy. Lots of new growth but nothing
resembling flower buds.

Is it merely too early for citrus to blossom here, or must the tree
reach some minimum size, or does citrus come in "boy" and "girl"
varieties and I've maybe got a male?

Ideas?
Old 17-05-2007, 04:43 PM posted to austin.gardening

"WoolyGooly" wrote in message
I have it in full sun (as per the care tag) and I'm feeding it Miracid
for azaleas every couple of weeks or after every big rain. I'm
keeping the soil moist but not soggy. Lots of new growth but nothing
resembling flower buds.

Is it merely too early for citrus to blossom here, or must the tree
reach some minimum size, or does citrus come in "boy" and "girl"
varieties and I've maybe got a male?

Ideas?

The normal time to bloom would be late fall early winter.

Probably grown from a cutting so you should not have to be concerned about
being old enough to bloom.

Mine bloomed and set fruit twice this year. Once in Dec and again this
spring in late March after I took it back outside for good. The early set
are a bit larger than golf balls now and the late set about marble size.

I would recommend going easy on the Miracle grow if you are going to keep it
in a container. You will eventually get a salt build up in the soil. A
good organic fertilizer would be better.

Good luck.

Old 17-05-2007, 07:32 PM posted to austin.gardening

On Thu, 17 May 2007 09:43:33 -0500, "Cliff"
wrote:

The normal time to bloom would be late fall early winter.

Ok, thanks. I'll quit looking for flower buds then.

Probably grown from a cutting so you should not have to be concerned about
being old enough to bloom.

This one appears to be grafted. The callous (callus?) is tidy and
fairly straight, unlike the other one Lowe's had the day I bought
mine.

I would recommend going easy on the Miracle grow if you are going to keep it
in a container. You will eventually get a salt build up in the soil. A
good organic fertilizer would be better.

I'm not terribly worried about salts building up. I'm making up the
fertilizer solution at half strength and I water thoroughly every few
days to keep the soil moist. I will watch out for that though.

Have you any recommendations on pruning/shaping? I don't want to
pinch out growth that will eventually develop flowers/fruit.
Old 17-05-2007, 09:54 PM posted to austin.gardening
hlk hlk is offline

On Thu, 17 May 2007 07:39:11 -0500, WoolyGooly
wrote:

I have it in full sun (as per the care tag) and I'm feeding it Miracid
for azaleas every couple of weeks or after every big rain. I'm
keeping the soil moist but not soggy. Lots of new growth but nothing
resembling flower buds.

Is it merely too early for citrus to blossom here, or must the tree
reach some minimum size, or does citrus come in "boy" and "girl"
varieties and I've maybe got a male?

Ideas?

I thought Meyer's bloomed throughout the year. I have a small one
that has green fruit on it at the moment, as well as some buds that
are about to open. I haven't done anything special to it.
Old 18-05-2007, 02:17 AM posted to austin.gardening

On Thu, 17 May 2007 14:54:12 -0500, hlk wrote:

I thought Meyer's bloomed throughout the year. I have a small one
that has green fruit on it at the moment, as well as some buds that
are about to open. I haven't done anything special to it.

This is my experience also. I have two Meyer's lemons. One is
variegated and it flowers about four times a year. This year I didn't
put up the greenhouse, but I clustered huge containers of my
brugmansia's and tropical trees together and used tons of sheets and
covered it all with a tarp. When I removed the tarp there were TONS
of flowers waiting for some sun and now both trees have dozens of
fruits. The variegated form give pink flesh, thus pink lemonade.

I do prune out anything growing in toward the center, anything which
is rubbing against another branch, or any dead or decayed stems. There
are many web sites on pruning citrus for container kept plants.

I don't recommend you continue using Miracle Grow of any sort. Go buy
a good bag of fertilizer called Sustaine or LadyBug Brand. Actually
they are the same, but LadyBug Brand has molasses which gives microbes
something to nourish on in the container. Follow label instructions
for application rates.

Old 18-05-2007, 02:58 AM posted to austin.gardening

jangchub wrote:
covered it all with a tarp. When I removed the tarp there were TONS
of flowers waiting for some sun and now both trees have dozens of
fruits. The variegated form give pink flesh, thus pink lemonade.

Ditto. They also make great pink margaritas.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old 18-05-2007, 03:55 AM posted to austin.gardening
hlk hlk is offline

On Thu, 17 May 2007 19:58:49 -0500, Victor Martinez
wrote:

jangchub wrote:
covered it all with a tarp. When I removed the tarp there were TONS
of flowers waiting for some sun and now both trees have dozens of
fruits. The variegated form give pink flesh, thus pink lemonade.

Ditto. They also make great pink margaritas.

Where did you folks get your variegated Meyer's? Every time I see a
variegated lemon tree, it's not Meyer's. And one place said that
their variegated lemons didn't have as good a flavor as the
non-variegated, so now I don't know what to buy.

I want to make pink margaritas too!
Old 18-05-2007, 02:24 PM posted to austin.gardening

hlk wrote:
Where did you folks get your variegated Meyer's? Every time I see a

Ours came from Lowe's or Home Depot, can't remember which one.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old 18-05-2007, 03:43 PM posted to austin.gardening

wrote:

jangchub wrote:
covered it all with a tarp. When I removed the tarp there were TONS
of flowers waiting for some sun and now both trees have dozens of
fruits. The variegated form give pink flesh, thus pink lemonade.

Ditto. They also make great pink margaritas.

Me no partakee of the drinkee for 24 years. I do make pink lemonade
though!

Victoria
Old 18-05-2007, 03:49 PM posted to austin.gardening

On Thu, 17 May 2007 20:55:25 -0500, hlk wrote:

Where did you folks get your variegated Meyer's? Every time I see a
variegated lemon tree, it's not Meyer's. And one place said that
their variegated lemons didn't have as good a flavor as the
non-variegated, so now I don't know what to buy.

I want to make pink margaritas too!

Believe it or not I bought ours at Lowes about 5 years ago. I tried
to root the cuttings with great failure. You may want to check The
Great Outdoors because they asked me if I had any. They hunt citrus
down. Also, call around to the Lowes in town and Round Rock. They
get theirs, I think, from Hunts Growers.

You may have better luck buying online the variegated 'Eureka.' The
lemons are the size of two golf balls or just under that size. Mine
are very tart, but when added to water and some turbinado sugar, it
rocks.

Old 18-05-2007, 07:37 PM posted to austin.gardening

jangchub wrote:
Believe it or not I bought ours at Lowes about 5 years ago. I tried
to root the cuttings with great failure. You may want to check The
Great Outdoors because they asked me if I had any. They hunt citrus

I've seen them there as recently as a couple of months ago.

You may have better luck buying online the variegated 'Eureka.' The
lemons are the size of two golf balls or just under that size. Mine
are very tart, but when added to water and some turbinado sugar, it
rocks.

Mine are relatively sweet...

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old 19-05-2007, 01:42 AM posted to austin.gardening

On Fri, 18 May 2007 12:37:29 -0500, Victor Martinez
wrote:

Mine are relatively sweet...

I think our problem is we don't leave it on the tree long enough to
sugar up. This year I'm going to resist picking them too soon.
Old 30-09-2008, 12:45 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoolyGooly View Post
I have it in full sun (as per the care tag) and I'm feeding it Miracid
for azaleas every couple of weeks or after every big rain. I'm
keeping the soil moist but not soggy. Lots of new growth but nothing
resembling flower buds.

Is it merely too early for citrus to blossom here, or must the tree
reach some minimum size, or does citrus come in "boy" and "girl"
varieties and I've maybe got a male?

Ideas?
Citrus plants do NOT come in gender. The most common reason for a fruit tree not to get fruit is because it is not old enough. It could also be because it isn't the citrus season yo bare fruit. I recommend taking it inside during the winter in Texas and southern U.S. during the flowering season. You need a sunny window and/or a grow light