Old 18-06-2007, 01:05 AM posted to austin.gardening
cc cc is offline

Default clearing weeds in new bed of asian jasmine

Visited the typical stores..no off the shelf broadleaf spray for beds,
only for lawns...have aggressive growth of clover I need to kill
off..any suggestions that will NOT hurt new plantings of the ivy??
thanks all

Old 22-06-2007, 10:01 PM posted to austin.gardening

"cc" wrote:...
Visited the typical stores..no off the shelf broadleaf spray for beds,
only for lawns

I surmise this is because most "bed" plants are broadleafed. Broadleaf
"weed" poisons, including "weed and feed" products, are bad if you have any
plants in your yard other than grasses ( for examlpe trees, shrubs, or
flowers). While they may not kill the largest plants, they will weaken them
or stunt their growth.

It is useful to remember that "a weed is a plant out of place". There is no
biological definition nor signature of a weed and so no "weed killer"
poisons only weeds.

...have aggressive growth of clover I need to kill
off..any suggestions that will NOT hurt new plantings of the ivy??

I think clover is a nitrogen fixer (it's a legume). Therefore it might be a
good temporary cover crop. I doubt clover will survive once the asian
jasmine gets established.

When we bought our house there was asian jasmine under the oak and elm
trees. I think asian jasmine gets a bad rap sometimes. Once established it
is low in maintenance and tolerant of varying conditions. It can be
agressive, but there are many other plants that are more aggressive and
destructive. One a year maintenance (which we don't do) should keep it under
control.

jjhnsn