Old 23-06-2007, 06:02 AM posted to austin.gardening

Default Summer is here

After a 3 year drought, most of us are used to fighting the heat, constant
direct sunlight (no clouds), and lack of humidity to keep our stuff growing.

First week of summer, a weeks worth of rain in the forecast. Mostly cloudy,
and relatively cool. Humidity is high. Mold spores are off the map.
Whitetail deer in my area are getting fat quick. But, I don't see any
roadrunners, rabbits, possums, armadillos or coons. Guess they don't need
to roam to forage?

Weather makers (low cells) are moving mostly west to east both this spring
and now. If they move at all. Last 3 years is was high cells sitting on
top of us, preventing the rain possibility.

When I was growing up in S.A., only real weather makers I remember were
fronts moving north to south, and, hurricanes/tropical storms in summer.
Weather from Mexico area was never in the picture. This is short term
climatology. Big change from where I sit. Any 50 or over people out there
with similar memories?
Dave

Old 11-07-2007, 04:14 AM posted to austin.gardening

On Sat, 23 Jun 2007 05:02:41 +0000, Dave wrote:

When I was growing up in S.A., only real weather makers I remember were
fronts moving north to south, and, hurricanes/tropical storms in summer.
Weather from Mexico area was never in the picture. This is short term
climatology. Big change from where I sit. Any 50 or over people out there
with similar memories?

When I was growing up, we didn't have weather radar and satellite images,
so we had no way of telling where the weather was coming from, other than
the obvious (fronts from the north, hurricanes from the ocean).

YMMV.
Old 12-07-2007, 04:32 AM posted to austin.gardening

things like "red sky at morning..." were the forecasters...and the cows.
They were very good forecasters.

--
ie
ride fast, take chances.

Old 15-07-2007, 04:06 PM posted to austin.gardening

Well being a native Texan myself for over 6 decades I can assure you that
weather from the Pacific coming across Mexico is nothing new. Maybe your
just becoming aware that the Pacific drives the weather in Texas more that
even the Gulf of Mexico for much of Texas. The series of lows moving across
Texas is a little unusual, but it happened the same way when the great
dought was broken in 1957. I remember well the drought of 1950-57 and
Texas has not had anything as bad as that since. What everybody is calling a
drought is just normal Texas weather. A lot of new people, from different
parts of the country just don't have much experience with our kind of
weather and the media types blow things all out of proportion to make a
story IMO. Rememer just last February, all the bed wetters predicting that
we would have record heat and no rain this summer. Guess what, it gets hot
in the Summer in Texas. This just ilustrates the inability of our weaher
forcasters to predict the weather a few days ahead, much less 25-50 yrs
from now.

Jim

. net...