Old 15-07-2007, 04:13 AM posted to austin.gardening,rec.gardens

Default Peaches

On Sat, 14 Jul 2007 18:50:38 -0500, Victor Martinez
wrote:

I didn't mean to say the trees do not produce fruit. They do. We just
don't get to eat any because they rot.

Ah, okay. We started removing the very old wood on the tree today. We
are only going to leave last years wood, and anything which grows out
from this season. I am going to investigate how to curtail the brown
rot, although the butterflies are so drunk out there I almost hate to
deny them! There are literally thousands of butterflies, and all
types at that. I don't think I've ever seen so many.

Removing the oldest wood has also removed the route the raccoons use
to get up in there. They started marking their territory on top of
our pavillion and we can't have that. Round worms are a very real
thing I don't want to get involved with
Old 15-07-2007, 04:16 AM posted to austin.gardening,rec.gardens

On Sat, 14 Jul 2007 18:51:45 -0500, Victor Martinez
wrote:

jangchub wrote:
not use pesticides. I don't kill. That's that.

Actually, we all do. Whether we want to or not.

Well, of course we do ultimately. My Lama told me there is not an
atom of space where you won't find a sentient being. So breathing
kills bacteria and whatever else. Also, I've been told just under my
armpit is a zoo! What a fantastic Lama I have

I guess I should have have said, I don't kill with intention. I don't
eat any animals, and I am working toward being a vegan, though that is
difficult to do when I have a livingroom full of Thomasville Leather!
Then again, I did buy it 8 years ago, so...nah, it still isn't yard
sale yet. It's that lifetime type stuff. I digress...

Old 15-07-2007, 04:17 AM posted to austin.gardening,rec.gardens

On Sat, 14 Jul 2007 19:57:49 -0400, William Wagner
wrote:

In article ,
Victor Martinez wrote:

jangchub wrote:
not use pesticides. I don't kill. That's that.

Actually, we all do. Whether we want to or not.

All we have to do is look at our cars radiator. Then imagine what the
radiators of the trucks that bring us our foods look like.

Bill

Which is why I usually use drive time to recite mantras. I also have
a copy of a mandala that, if an animal sees it will not take another
animal rebirth. One would have to be a Buddhist to know what that's
all about. We sure do kill all day, but not with intention.
Old 15-07-2007, 06:50 AM posted to austin.gardening,rec.gardens

jangchub wrote:

No thank you. I am an organic gardener. If it means I won't ever get
a healthy peach, so be it, but I will not be using anything Ortho puts
out. I wouldn't trust them if it was labeled certified organic.

Spoken like a true believer.

Old 15-07-2007, 06:53 AM posted to austin.gardening,rec.gardens

Not sure where this summer pruning is taking place, but heavy pruning in the
summer
encourages the tree to put out lot's of new growth, usually in the form of water
sprouts that grow up vertically and our not desirable. Better to wait until the
tree goes dormant in late fall or early winter.

Sherwin D.

cat daddy wrote:

"jangchub" wrote in message
On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 15:35:56 -0500, Victor Martinez
wrote:

I'd wait until February to prune them. Let the leaves produce energy now.

I agree, but peaches set fruit on new wood. So, my line of thinking
was that if I cut out all the largest and oldest limbs I'd encourage
new growth. Then, in February prune it back into the scaffold I have
it pruned into now.

An article in the Statesman yesterday about the impact of the rain had
this:
"....says Bill Psencik of the Psencik Peach Farm in Fredericksburg

"The foliage on the trees is so dense that we will have to do a lot of
summer pruning to allow adequate sunlight to enter the inside of the canopy
of the trees," Psencik says. "This can have a great effect on the amount of
next year's peach crop."

So, apparently pruning in Summer is not a bad thing.

I'm going to go take a look at Dromgool's peach orchard at the store.

Old 15-07-2007, 01:31 PM posted to austin.gardening,rec.gardens

jangchub wrote:
I guess I should have have said, I don't kill with intention. I don't
eat any animals, and I am working toward being a vegan, though that is
difficult to do when I have a livingroom full of Thomasville Leather!
Then again, I did buy it 8 years ago, so...nah, it still isn't yard
sale yet. It's that lifetime type stuff. I digress...

If they're in good condition, I could help you get rid of them.

Victor, mostly vegetarian but definitely not vegan.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old 15-07-2007, 03:40 PM posted to austin.gardening,rec.gardens

Are you giving this advice as specific to peach trees in Central Texas,
or as a general rule of tree pruning?
I would think the commercial grower would not do anything to jeopardize
his current and future crop or orchard.

Old 15-07-2007, 04:05 PM posted to austin.gardening,rec.gardens

I know, but not all the new growth will be in the form of water spouts
and it will be the new shoots which will produce the fruit next year.
I have nothing to lose by trying this rehab project. The tree is
producing beautiful baseball sized fruits with rot. I may have to
wait two seasons to really reap the benefits of doing this hard prune,
but I truly believe it's the only thing I can do.

In the meanwhile, when the fruit trees go on sale in February I'll buy
some and plant them in other spots.

Old 15-07-2007, 04:08 PM posted to austin.gardening,rec.gardens

On Sun, 15 Jul 2007 07:31:10 -0500, Victor Martinez
wrote:

jangchub wrote:
I guess I should have have said, I don't kill with intention. I don't
eat any animals, and I am working toward being a vegan, though that is
difficult to do when I have a livingroom full of Thomasville Leather!
Then again, I did buy it 8 years ago, so...nah, it still isn't yard
sale yet. It's that lifetime type stuff. I digress...

If they're in good condition, I could help you get rid of them.

Victor, mostly vegetarian but definitely not vegan.

Mostly vegetarian? Vic, c'mon. Pregnant or not?
At least eat a big animal which feeds many and try to avoid shrimp
because many of those are killed. None of it is good for ME, but His
Holiness says to at least eat a large animal which feeds many. He has
to eat meat from time to time for health reasons and he eats large
animals when he does.

You will be the first to know when I see the furniture. I'm already
tired of it, but my husband will kill me! I won't even say how much
this stuff cost us.
Old 15-07-2007, 05:10 PM posted to austin.gardening,rec.gardens

Default OT: Mostly vegetarian (was Peaches)

jangchub wrote:
Mostly vegetarian? Vic, c'mon. Pregnant or not?

What I mean by mostly vegetarian is that I don't eat animal flesh
regularly. Once a week or so, it depends. I'm not dogmatic about it
either. I don't do dogma.

At least eat a big animal which feeds many and try to avoid shrimp
because many of those are killed.

When I do purchase animal flesh, I choose, if available, those that are
raised and killed humanely and as organic as possible. I do love shrimp
though.

Holiness says to at least eat a large animal which feeds many. He has
to eat meat from time to time for health reasons and he eats large
animals when he does.

I don't see why anybody would *have* to eat meat for health reasons. The
only essential nutrients meat provide are certain aminoacids, which are
available from non-meat sources.

You will be the first to know when I see the furniture. I'm already
tired of it, but my husband will kill me! I won't even say how much
this stuff cost us.

I'd love to have leather furniture, but with all our cats it would
be impossible to keep it looking good for long. They are very good at
scratching only on their furniture, but they do have claws and the do
use them for traction when racing like wildebeasts in the Serengeti.

Cheers.

Victor, off to yoga

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old 16-07-2007, 12:30 AM posted to austin.gardening

On Sun, 15 Jul 2007 11:10:49 -0500, Victor Martinez
wrote:

What I mean by mostly vegetarian is that I don't eat animal flesh
regularly. Once a week or so, it depends. I'm not dogmatic about it
either. I don't do dogma.

I've been accused of being a fundamentalist more than once! I don't
do dogma either, but I think if I ate meat I wouldn't call myself
mostly vegetarian.

I don't see why anybody would *have* to eat meat for health reasons. The
only essential nutrients meat provide are certain aminoacids, which are
available from non-meat sources.

From a Tibetan Medicine perspective, there are certain properties
which contribute to the wind energy, and the central channels, etc.
It's complex, but he follows his Tibetan doctors' advice. It may stem
out of the mere fact there is not much other THAN meat in Tibet,
particularly in winter. Tsampa and yak.

I'd love to have leather furniture, but with all our cats it would
be impossible to keep it looking good for long. They are very good at
scratching only on their furniture, but they do have claws and the do
use them for traction when racing like wildebeasts in the Serengeti.

Cheers.

Victor, off to yoga

We had an 80 pound dog who lived on the couch. This leather is not
ordinary. It is very heavy and very resilient. No cat nail could
penetrate this leather. I do remember before our 14 year old kitties
passes away they would run like wildebeasts in the Serengeti over
these couches and not a scratch.

Om Shanti
Old 16-07-2007, 06:21 AM posted to austin.gardening,rec.gardens

wrote:

[...]

My time frames may be off slightly if the original poster lives in Texas, but
the principal is still
the same. Light pruning is ok in the warmer months, but heavy pruning will just
encourage the
tree to put out more growth. As I mentioned, this new growth will not be of a
desirable nature.
Heavy pruning should be done when a fruit tree is either entering or already is
in a dormant state.

Sherwin D.

Old 16-07-2007, 06:25 AM posted to austin.gardening,rec.gardens

jangchub wrote:

I know, but not all the new growth will be in the form of water spouts
and it will be the new shoots which will produce the fruit next year.
I have nothing to lose by trying this rehab project. The tree is
producing beautiful baseball sized fruits with rot. I may have to
wait two seasons to really reap the benefits of doing this hard prune,
but I truly believe it's the only thing I can do.

Why not wait until the tree goes dormant? You may have to trim off
most of the additional growth the tree puts out because it is not growing
in a favorable direction, that is straight up. Branches should go off at
an angle for best fruit production.

In the meanwhile, when the fruit trees go on sale in February I'll buy
some and plant them in other spots.

Try and buy a semi-dwarf peach tree, or even a full dwarf for other fruits
like apples. Then you won't have to hack the hell out of them later.

Sherwin

Old 16-07-2007, 01:13 PM posted to austin.gardening,rec.gardens

On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 00:25:33 -0500, sherwindu
wrote:

jangchub wrote:

I know, but not all the new growth will be in the form of water spouts
and it will be the new shoots which will produce the fruit next year.
I have nothing to lose by trying this rehab project. The tree is
producing beautiful baseball sized fruits with rot. I may have to
wait two seasons to really reap the benefits of doing this hard prune,
but I truly believe it's the only thing I can do.

Why not wait until the tree goes dormant? You may have to trim off
most of the additional growth the tree puts out because it is not growing
in a favorable direction, that is straight up. Branches should go off at
an angle for best fruit production.

My reasoning is that I am either going to remove the tree completely,
or I'm going to prune it hard. The tree will send out new shoots, of
course there will be water spouts, there already are. The foliage on
the tree is prolific, as is the fruit production, but only because we
had a cool winter.

I'm going to give it an intermediate prune this week and this way the
tree will give me new shoots for fruit in spring and in Feb (when we
prune our fruit in Texas) I'll do a heavier prune. I do know I will
have to use some type of fungicide, but it won't be anything toxic to
insects or animals. I have some research to do.

Thanks for your patience with my notions.
victoria
Old 16-07-2007, 01:50 PM posted to austin.gardening

Victor Martinez wrote:

I'd love to have leather furniture, but with all our cats it would
be impossible to keep it looking good for long. They are very good at
scratching only on their furniture, but they do have claws and the do
use them for traction when racing like wildebeasts in the Serengeti.

Victor, off to yoga

Going off on a different subject here, we replaced our fabric couches
with leather in January and our cats (4 of 'em) rarely get on the couch
any longer. The dogs (papillons) really love the leather, though, and
sleep almost exclusively on the back of the couches. They seem to like
the noise it makes when they jump up on it. I've been surprised how the
cats avoid the couches now.

--
Gary Brady
Austin, TX

peaches freebird Australia 6 18-02-2004 11:32 AM
Insect larvea in peaches A Gardening 10 16-02-2004 12:42 AM
squirrels and peaches Dianna Visek Edible Gardening 22 05-01-2004 06:32 AM
Peaches Falling Off zebrin Gardening 2 12-07-2003 11:08 PM
Advice on Peaches Spacewalkman Texas 2 15-04-2003 03:56 PM