GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Peaches (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/texas/161684-peaches.html)

jangchub 13-07-2007 08:55 PM

Peaches

Well, my peach tree made a ton of peaches, all or most of which had
worms in the center, and/or brown rot. The red admirals are drunk out
there and I mean drunk and many thousands of them.

Anyway, I don't kill insects, but does anyone know of a way to prevent
brown rot aside from proper hygiene after the growing season is over.
Also, I was wondering if I can do an extreme pruning after all the
fruit has fallen off. The tree is a good umbrella shape, but it is
way too tall...about 14 feet tall. The raccoons get up in there and
poop on my canopy to mark THEIR peach tree. I don't mind, but if the
tree was shorter they can get to it without skating the canopy and
maybe I can pick the peaches easier. Does anyone have any good book
recomendations regarding peaches?

Victoria

George Shirley 13-07-2007 09:11 PM

Peaches

jangchub wrote:

Well, my peach tree made a ton of peaches, all or most of which had
worms in the center, and/or brown rot. The red admirals are drunk out
there and I mean drunk and many thousands of them.

Anyway, I don't kill insects, but does anyone know of a way to prevent
brown rot aside from proper hygiene after the growing season is over.
Also, I was wondering if I can do an extreme pruning after all the
fruit has fallen off. The tree is a good umbrella shape, but it is
way too tall...about 14 feet tall. The raccoons get up in there and
poop on my canopy to mark THEIR peach tree. I don't mind, but if the
tree was shorter they can get to it without skating the canopy and
maybe I can pick the peaches easier. Does anyone have any good book
recomendations regarding peaches?

Victoria

I keep all my fruit trees pruned to ten feet tall. There are many guides
to pruning but your best recommendations for fruit trees will probably
come from your state agricultural extension service. If you're in Texas
TAMU is your friend. If you don't spray at all you probably will never
get a decent crop. I only use dormant oil spray in the winter and it has
improved my crop greatly. Proper pruning will also help in letting light
and air into the interior of the tree plus you will need to get rid of
some of the fruit so others will get bigger. HTH

George, USDA Zone 9b, SW Louisiana

Victor Martinez 13-07-2007 09:35 PM

Peaches

jangchub wrote:
Anyway, I don't kill insects, but does anyone know of a way to prevent
brown rot aside from proper hygiene after the growing season is over.

I'd love some advice on that too, we haven't had a peach in 2 years!!!
The trees are strikingly beautiful when blooming though. :)

Also, I was wondering if I can do an extreme pruning after all the
fruit has fallen off. The tree is a good umbrella shape, but it is
way too tall...about 14 feet tall. The raccoons get up in there and

I'd wait until February to prune them. Let the leaves produce energy now.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

David E. Ross 14-07-2007 12:23 AM

Peaches

On 7/13/2007 1:35 PM, Victor Martinez wrote:
jangchub wrote:
Anyway, I don't kill insects, but does anyone know of a way to prevent
brown rot aside from proper hygiene after the growing season is over.

I'd love some advice on that too, we haven't had a peach in 2 years!!!
The trees are strikingly beautiful when blooming though. :)

Also, I was wondering if I can do an extreme pruning after all the
fruit has fallen off. The tree is a good umbrella shape, but it is
way too tall...about 14 feet tall. The raccoons get up in there and

I'd wait until February to prune them. Let the leaves produce energy now.

If you are trying to grow something that does not grow in nature (a
hybridized peach), then you must resort to some non-natural practices.
I use a spray that combines dormant oil (which kills over-wintering
insects and their eggs) with copper sulfate (which prevents fungus and
other diseases). I spray this immediately after pruning and again just
as the flower bud swell and begin to show red (and again if it rains
within 48 hours after spraying).

Gather up all fallen fruit and trash it. Don't leave it to become a
breeding ground for next year's brown rot.

Prune in the winter. If you normally get snow, wait until the buds
swell slightly. In my area, I prune around New Year. Don't prune now;
the tree is forming the wood on which next year's crop will appear.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean

symplastless 14-07-2007 12:59 AM

Peaches

--
Many tree problems are associated with the following: They are Case
Sensitive.

Troubles in the Rhizosphere
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/shigo/RHIZO.html

Unhealthy Trees from the Nursery / Improper Planting
http://home.ccil.org/~treeman/sub1.html
and
Look up "Tree Planting" http://www.treedictionary.com

Improper Mulching - http://home.ccil.org/~treeman/sub3.html
and
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/M/ Look up "Mulch"

Improper Pruning
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/tree_pruning

Improper Fertilization (See A Touch of Chemistry)
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/shigo/CHEM.html

Tree Farming and Related Problems
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/SOUND/

Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.
Arborist
http://home.ccil.org/~treeman
and www.treedictionary.com
that we are not the boss.

symplastless 14-07-2007 01:02 AM

Peaches

"jangchub" wrote in message
Well, my peach tree made a ton of peaches, all or most of which had
worms in the center, and/or brown rot. The red admirals are drunk out
there and I mean drunk and many thousands of them.

Anyway, I don't kill insects, but does anyone know of a way to prevent
brown rot aside from proper hygiene after the growing season is over.
Also, I was wondering if I can do an extreme pruning after all the
fruit has fallen off.

NO !!

See pruning
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/tree_pruning/

Proper mulching would be great!!!!

\

symplastless 14-07-2007 02:11 AM

Peaches

As with any pesticides, caution must be taken.
http://home.ccil.org/~treeman/spring.html

Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.
Arborist
http://home.ccil.org/~treeman
and www.treedictionary.com
that we are not the boss.

.. .

sherwindu 14-07-2007 06:39 AM

Peaches

My Ortho Problem Solver suggests spraying your peaches about 3 weeks before
harvest with a fungicide containing triforine. Besides the usual cleanup of
infected
material around the tree, next spring spray the tree as the first flowers begin
to open
with a fungicide containing either triforine or chlorothalonil as the first
flowers begin
to open. Continue spraying as the label suggests. That book again is 'The
Ortho
Home Gardener's Problem Solver'. They also have a more extensive version in a
professional edition (more expensive).

I would trap the racoons and get rid of them. If you prune, don't cut off more
than
1/3 of the tree in any season and do it in late fall or very early spring when
the tree
is dormant. I would also suggest planting a semi-dwarf tree instead of a full
standard
peach, next time.

Sherwin D.

jangchub 14-07-2007 02:47 PM

Peaches

On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 15:35:56 -0500, Victor Martinez
wrote:

I'd love some advice on that too, we haven't had a peach in 2 years!!!
The trees are strikingly beautiful when blooming though. :)

Do you know the chill hours on your peach? Mine is 400. Last winter
we finally had at least or close to temps below 45 for 400 hours.
Fruit trees, particularly peaches will show beautiful flowers, but if
the chill hours aren't there the blossoms abort the fruit along with
them when they fall off.

I'd wait until February to prune them. Let the leaves produce energy now.

I agree, but peaches set fruit on new wood. So, my line of thinking
was that if I cut out all the largest and oldest limbs I'd encourage
new growth. Then, in February prune it back into the scaffold I have
it pruned into now.

I'm going to go take a look at Dromgool's peach orchard at the store.

jangchub 14-07-2007 02:52 PM

Peaches

No thank you. I am an organic gardener. If it means I won't ever get
a healthy peach, so be it, but I will not be using anything Ortho puts
out. I wouldn't trust them if it was labeled certified organic.

cat daddy 14-07-2007 05:01 PM

Peaches

wrote:

I'd wait until February to prune them. Let the leaves produce energy now.

I agree, but peaches set fruit on new wood. So, my line of thinking
was that if I cut out all the largest and oldest limbs I'd encourage
new growth. Then, in February prune it back into the scaffold I have
it pruned into now.

An article in the Statesman yesterday about the impact of the rain had
this:
"....says Bill Psencik of the Psencik Peach Farm in Fredericksburg

"The foliage on the trees is so dense that we will have to do a lot of
summer pruning to allow adequate sunlight to enter the inside of the canopy
of the trees," Psencik says. "This can have a great effect on the amount of
next year's peach crop."

So, apparently pruning in Summer is not a bad thing.

I'm going to go take a look at Dromgool's peach orchard at the store.

jangchub 14-07-2007 06:43 PM

Peaches

On Sat, 14 Jul 2007 11:01:09 -0500, "cat daddy"
wrote:

An article in the Statesman yesterday about the impact of the rain had
this:
"....says Bill Psencik of the Psencik Peach Farm in Fredericksburg

"The foliage on the trees is so dense that we will have to do a lot of
summer pruning to allow adequate sunlight to enter the inside of the canopy
of the trees," Psencik says. "This can have a great effect on the amount of
next year's peach crop."

So, apparently pruning in Summer is not a bad thing.

Yes, this is in line with my original thought to remove most of the
old wood which will no longer produce fruit and cut it back hard.
Summer pruning on fruit trees is very common.

Since the tree has given me brown rot for the last three years, and if
it doesn't get remedy I was going to remove it and plant another on
the other side of the property...well, I have nothing to lose. So, I
will follow my instinct and cut it back and prune heavily so new wood
will grow out for next years fruit. I made a mistake in my
terminology, peaches fruit on second year wood, meaning whatever new
wood grows this year, will be the shoots to produce fruit next year.
The shoots are from 18 to 24 inches long and those (generally red in
color) will be the shoots to produce next year.

I will also use a copper fungicide or something similar, but I will
not use pesticides. I don't kill. That's that.

Victor Martinez 15-07-2007 12:50 AM

Peaches

jangchub wrote:
Do you know the chill hours on your peach? Mine is 400. Last winter

I don't remember, but it made sense for Austin when we got them.

we finally had at least or close to temps below 45 for 400 hours.
Fruit trees, particularly peaches will show beautiful flowers, but if
the chill hours aren't there the blossoms abort the fruit along with
them when they fall off.

I didn't mean to say the trees do not produce fruit. They do. We just
don't get to eat any because they rot.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Victor Martinez 15-07-2007 12:51 AM

Peaches

jangchub wrote:
not use pesticides. I don't kill. That's that.

Actually, we all do. Whether we want to or not. :)

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

William Wagner[_2_] 15-07-2007 12:57 AM

Peaches

In article ,
Victor Martinez wrote:

jangchub wrote:
not use pesticides. I don't kill. That's that.

Actually, we all do. Whether we want to or not. :)

All we have to do is look at our cars radiator. Then imagine what the
radiators of the trucks that bring us our foods look like.

Bill

--

S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade

jangchub 15-07-2007 04:13 AM

Peaches

On Sat, 14 Jul 2007 18:50:38 -0500, Victor Martinez
wrote:

I didn't mean to say the trees do not produce fruit. They do. We just
don't get to eat any because they rot.

Ah, okay. We started removing the very old wood on the tree today. We
are only going to leave last years wood, and anything which grows out
from this season. I am going to investigate how to curtail the brown
rot, although the butterflies are so drunk out there I almost hate to
deny them! There are literally thousands of butterflies, and all
types at that. I don't think I've ever seen so many.

Removing the oldest wood has also removed the route the raccoons use
to get up in there. They started marking their territory on top of
our pavillion and we can't have that. Round worms are a very real
thing I don't want to get involved with :(

jangchub 15-07-2007 04:16 AM

Peaches

On Sat, 14 Jul 2007 18:51:45 -0500, Victor Martinez
wrote:

jangchub wrote:
not use pesticides. I don't kill. That's that.

Actually, we all do. Whether we want to or not. :)

Well, of course we do ultimately. My Lama told me there is not an
atom of space where you won't find a sentient being. So breathing
kills bacteria and whatever else. Also, I've been told just under my
armpit is a zoo! What a fantastic Lama I have :)

I guess I should have have said, I don't kill with intention. I don't
eat any animals, and I am working toward being a vegan, though that is
difficult to do when I have a livingroom full of Thomasville Leather!
Then again, I did buy it 8 years ago, so...nah, it still isn't yard
sale yet. It's that lifetime type stuff. I digress...

jangchub 15-07-2007 04:17 AM

Peaches

On Sat, 14 Jul 2007 19:57:49 -0400, William Wagner
wrote:

In article ,
Victor Martinez wrote:

jangchub wrote:
not use pesticides. I don't kill. That's that.

Actually, we all do. Whether we want to or not. :)

All we have to do is look at our cars radiator. Then imagine what the
radiators of the trucks that bring us our foods look like.

Bill

Which is why I usually use drive time to recite mantras. I also have
a copy of a mandala that, if an animal sees it will not take another
animal rebirth. One would have to be a Buddhist to know what that's
all about. We sure do kill all day, but not with intention.

sherwindu 15-07-2007 06:50 AM

Peaches

jangchub wrote:

No thank you. I am an organic gardener. If it means I won't ever get
a healthy peach, so be it, but I will not be using anything Ortho puts
out. I wouldn't trust them if it was labeled certified organic.

Spoken like a true believer.

sherwindu 15-07-2007 06:53 AM

Peaches

Not sure where this summer pruning is taking place, but heavy pruning in the
summer
encourages the tree to put out lot's of new growth, usually in the form of water
sprouts that grow up vertically and our not desirable. Better to wait until the
tree goes dormant in late fall or early winter.

Sherwin D.

Victor Martinez 15-07-2007 01:31 PM

Peaches

jangchub wrote:
I guess I should have have said, I don't kill with intention. I don't
eat any animals, and I am working toward being a vegan, though that is
difficult to do when I have a livingroom full of Thomasville Leather!
Then again, I did buy it 8 years ago, so...nah, it still isn't yard
sale yet. It's that lifetime type stuff. I digress...

If they're in good condition, I could help you get rid of them. :)

Victor, mostly vegetarian but definitely not vegan.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

cat daddy 15-07-2007 03:40 PM

Peaches

Are you giving this advice as specific to peach trees in Central Texas,
or as a general rule of tree pruning?
I would think the commercial grower would not do anything to jeopardize
his current and future crop or orchard.

jangchub 15-07-2007 04:05 PM

Peaches

I know, but not all the new growth will be in the form of water spouts
and it will be the new shoots which will produce the fruit next year.
I have nothing to lose by trying this rehab project. The tree is
producing beautiful baseball sized fruits with rot. I may have to
wait two seasons to really reap the benefits of doing this hard prune,
but I truly believe it's the only thing I can do.

In the meanwhile, when the fruit trees go on sale in February I'll buy
some and plant them in other spots.

jangchub 15-07-2007 04:08 PM

Peaches

On Sun, 15 Jul 2007 07:31:10 -0500, Victor Martinez
wrote:

jangchub wrote:
I guess I should have have said, I don't kill with intention. I don't
eat any animals, and I am working toward being a vegan, though that is
difficult to do when I have a livingroom full of Thomasville Leather!
Then again, I did buy it 8 years ago, so...nah, it still isn't yard
sale yet. It's that lifetime type stuff. I digress...

If they're in good condition, I could help you get rid of them. :)

Victor, mostly vegetarian but definitely not vegan.

Mostly vegetarian? Vic, c'mon. Pregnant or not? :)
At least eat a big animal which feeds many and try to avoid shrimp
because many of those are killed. None of it is good for ME, but His
Holiness says to at least eat a large animal which feeds many. He has
to eat meat from time to time for health reasons and he eats large
animals when he does.

You will be the first to know when I see the furniture. I'm already
tired of it, but my husband will kill me! I won't even say how much
this stuff cost us.

Victor Martinez 15-07-2007 05:10 PM

OT: Mostly vegetarian (was Peaches)

jangchub wrote:
Mostly vegetarian? Vic, c'mon. Pregnant or not? :)

What I mean by mostly vegetarian is that I don't eat animal flesh
regularly. Once a week or so, it depends. I'm not dogmatic about it
either. I don't do dogma.

At least eat a big animal which feeds many and try to avoid shrimp
because many of those are killed.

When I do purchase animal flesh, I choose, if available, those that are
raised and killed humanely and as organic as possible. I do love shrimp
though. :)

Holiness says to at least eat a large animal which feeds many. He has
to eat meat from time to time for health reasons and he eats large
animals when he does.

I don't see why anybody would *have* to eat meat for health reasons. The
only essential nutrients meat provide are certain aminoacids, which are
available from non-meat sources.

You will be the first to know when I see the furniture. I'm already
tired of it, but my husband will kill me! I won't even say how much
this stuff cost us.

:) I'd love to have leather furniture, but with all our cats it would
be impossible to keep it looking good for long. They are very good at
scratching only on their furniture, but they do have claws and the do
use them for traction when racing like wildebeasts in the Serengeti.

Cheers.

Victor, off to yoga

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

jangchub 16-07-2007 12:30 AM

OT: Mostly vegetarian (was Peaches)

On Sun, 15 Jul 2007 11:10:49 -0500, Victor Martinez
wrote:

What I mean by mostly vegetarian is that I don't eat animal flesh
regularly. Once a week or so, it depends. I'm not dogmatic about it
either. I don't do dogma.

I've been accused of being a fundamentalist more than once! I don't
do dogma either, but I think if I ate meat I wouldn't call myself
mostly vegetarian. :)

I don't see why anybody would *have* to eat meat for health reasons. The
only essential nutrients meat provide are certain aminoacids, which are
available from non-meat sources.

From a Tibetan Medicine perspective, there are certain properties
which contribute to the wind energy, and the central channels, etc.
It's complex, but he follows his Tibetan doctors' advice. It may stem
out of the mere fact there is not much other THAN meat in Tibet,
particularly in winter. Tsampa and yak.

:) I'd love to have leather furniture, but with all our cats it would
be impossible to keep it looking good for long. They are very good at
scratching only on their furniture, but they do have claws and the do
use them for traction when racing like wildebeasts in the Serengeti.

Cheers.

Victor, off to yoga

We had an 80 pound dog who lived on the couch. This leather is not
ordinary. It is very heavy and very resilient. No cat nail could
penetrate this leather. I do remember before our 14 year old kitties
passes away they would run like wildebeasts in the Serengeti over
these couches and not a scratch.

Om Shanti

sherwindu 16-07-2007 06:21 AM

Peaches

wrote:

[...]

My time frames may be off slightly if the original poster lives in Texas, but
the principal is still
the same. Light pruning is ok in the warmer months, but heavy pruning will just
encourage the
tree to put out more growth. As I mentioned, this new growth will not be of a
desirable nature.
Heavy pruning should be done when a fruit tree is either entering or already is
in a dormant state.

Sherwin D.

sherwindu 16-07-2007 06:25 AM

Peaches

jangchub wrote:

I know, but not all the new growth will be in the form of water spouts
and it will be the new shoots which will produce the fruit next year.
I have nothing to lose by trying this rehab project. The tree is
producing beautiful baseball sized fruits with rot. I may have to
wait two seasons to really reap the benefits of doing this hard prune,
but I truly believe it's the only thing I can do.

Why not wait until the tree goes dormant? You may have to trim off
most of the additional growth the tree puts out because it is not growing
in a favorable direction, that is straight up. Branches should go off at
an angle for best fruit production.

In the meanwhile, when the fruit trees go on sale in February I'll buy
some and plant them in other spots.

Try and buy a semi-dwarf peach tree, or even a full dwarf for other fruits
like apples. Then you won't have to hack the hell out of them later.

Sherwin

jangchub 16-07-2007 01:13 PM

Peaches

On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 00:25:33 -0500, sherwindu
wrote:

jangchub wrote:

I know, but not all the new growth will be in the form of water spouts
and it will be the new shoots which will produce the fruit next year.
I have nothing to lose by trying this rehab project. The tree is
producing beautiful baseball sized fruits with rot. I may have to
wait two seasons to really reap the benefits of doing this hard prune,
but I truly believe it's the only thing I can do.

Why not wait until the tree goes dormant? You may have to trim off
most of the additional growth the tree puts out because it is not growing
in a favorable direction, that is straight up. Branches should go off at
an angle for best fruit production.

My reasoning is that I am either going to remove the tree completely,
or I'm going to prune it hard. The tree will send out new shoots, of
course there will be water spouts, there already are. The foliage on
the tree is prolific, as is the fruit production, but only because we
had a cool winter.

I'm going to give it an intermediate prune this week and this way the
tree will give me new shoots for fruit in spring and in Feb (when we
prune our fruit in Texas) I'll do a heavier prune. I do know I will
have to use some type of fungicide, but it won't be anything toxic to
insects or animals. I have some research to do.

Thanks for your patience with my notions.
victoria

Gary Brady 16-07-2007 01:50 PM

Victor Martinez wrote:

:) I'd love to have leather furniture, but with all our cats it would
be impossible to keep it looking good for long. They are very good at
scratching only on their furniture, but they do have claws and the do
use them for traction when racing like wildebeasts in the Serengeti.

Victor, off to yoga

Going off on a different subject here, we replaced our fabric couches
with leather in January and our cats (4 of 'em) rarely get on the couch
any longer. The dogs (papillons) really love the leather, though, and
sleep almost exclusively on the back of the couches. They seem to like
the noise it makes when they jump up on it. I've been surprised how the
cats avoid the couches now.

--
Gary Brady
Austin, TX

Victor Martinez 16-07-2007 02:17 PM

Gary Brady wrote:
Going off on a different subject here, we replaced our fabric couches
with leather in January and our cats (4 of 'em) rarely get on the couch

What kind of leather is it? Is it very thick and hard? We have one
leather seat we inherited and the cats love to sit on it when there's a
human there.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Gary Brady 16-07-2007 10:37 PM

Victor Martinez wrote:
Gary Brady wrote:
Going off on a different subject here, we replaced our fabric couches
with leather in January and our cats (4 of 'em) rarely get on the couch

What kind of leather is it? Is it very thick and hard? We have one
leather seat we inherited and the cats love to sit on it when there's a
human there.

No, it's soft leather and soft cushioning material underneath. We had
the idea that leather would be easier to keep clean than fabric, and
that has been the case so far. Our cats don't seem to scratch much so
that hasn't been a problem. But one of the dogs really likes to get up
on the back and sink into the cushion.

--
Gary Brady
Austin, TX

jangchub 16-07-2007 11:55 PM

OT: Mostly vegetarian (was Peaches)

On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 08:17:18 -0500, Victor Martinez
wrote:

Gary Brady wrote:
Going off on a different subject here, we replaced our fabric couches
with leather in January and our cats (4 of 'em) rarely get on the couch

What kind of leather is it? Is it very thick and hard? We have one
leather seat we inherited and the cats love to sit on it when there's a
human there.

My leather is very heavy, but supple. It is nubuck, but lost it's
nap. Very soft to the touch. It has a matte appearance. The dog
liked it because it was cooler than the carpet.

sherwindu 20-07-2007 06:42 AM

Peaches

wrote:
"The foliage on the trees is so dense that we will have to do a lot of
summer pruning to allow adequate sunlight to enter the inside of the canopy
of the trees," Psencik says. "This can have a great effect on the amount of
next year's peach crop."

So, apparently pruning in Summer is not a bad thing.

I would qualify that statement to say small amounts of pruning are ok, but heavy

pruning will stimulate the tree to put out lots of new growth, usually in the
form
of water sprouts.

Sherwin