Old 21-07-2007, 05:49 AM posted to austin.gardening

Default Maters or watermelon

I planted the spherical version of watermelon about a month ago. Two hills.
Each hill, two plants. The flowering continues. Got a few baby melons.

Garden size is 8 X 8. Got lots of tomatoes on one side. Then watermelon,
then jalapenoes still going strong, then cataloupe on two hills still
haven't gotten to flowering stage.

The tomatoes (not complaining) have some leaf browning, some are dropping
most of their leaves. The remainder are mostly green and still producing
flowers and new tomoatoes.

I've kept the tomatoes on the plant till fully ripe. 90% have some visual
affliction. All are edible, most are ugly. If I pick them green, let ripen
in window. No ugly. Not as tasty (rich) though. I prefer tasty vs. purty.

Should I:

Pull up all the tomato plants to allow further prolifieration of the
watermelon?
Y / N?

Your vote below -

Old 21-07-2007, 01:10 PM posted to austin.gardening

On Sat, 21 Jul 2007 04:49:08 GMT, "Dave"
wrote:

[...]

OR, you can cut your tomato back leaving a few healthy leaves at the
top, continue to fertilize as necessary and if they come through the
summer you will have tomatoes again. It's up to you what you want to
do, but I did what I suggested you do. On another note, I have not
had ONE tomato this season. Not enough sun? I don't get it. It
flowered, but night temps have steadily been in the seventies and that
is the perfect temps to develop fruit.

This is a very strange year. Either it's Revalations, or climate
change. Just in case I switched out bulbs to fluorescent and turned
the thermostat up for summer, and WAY down in winter. Sorry for the
non-sequitor
Old 21-07-2007, 03:04 PM posted to austin.gardening

wrote:

[...]

I had great tomatoes, but left them to linger in anticipation of the
usual hot Summer decline. With the cool weather, I could have extended their
production by caring for them a little. You just never know now........

This is a very strange year.

snip

The strangest I have ever seen.

Old 21-07-2007, 04:24 PM posted to austin.gardening

wrote:

[...]

Got big boys and better boys. The latter are transplants from Lowes garden
center. The former are from seed. Some of the big boys are ones with
problems. Basically, in the short periods we didn't have rain, I soaked the
garden ditch style. Otherwise, no irrigation. Haven't fertilized since
late winter. Will probably go with the heavy pruning idea. Pull up the
ones in trouble.

This is a very strange year. Either it's Revalations, or climate
change. Just in case I switched out bulbs to fluorescent and turned
the thermostat up for summer, and WAY down in winter. Sorry for the
non-sequitor

No big deal. Climatology and energy conservation is high interest for me.
As it should be for everyone.

Reason for climate change, global warming and so forth is interesting
ongoing debate. 2 things occur for a conclusion. The first is if the
evidence is accurate. The second is a conclusion based on that evidence.
The 2nd one, a conclusion, seems to be what's most debated. Usually, its
the evidence that's most suspect in reaching a conclusion.

Because of my work schedule is in the afternoon/evening, I don't use lights
very much. Generally relax for an hour and hit the bed. My front porch has
5 100 watt bulbs. I do turn these on to feed the dogs when I get home at
night. Usually negotiate the house with a couple of night lights on at
night. Have the thermostat set at 80 F. Enough to keep the humidity down
and comfortable. My 2 lawn lights are solar powered/battery storage
cheapies. They provide enough light to negotiate the rough walkway to the
front steps. Electric fence line attached to the fence post insulators
around the house is also solar powered/battery storage. (Is the only thing
I've found that kept the dogs from digging under the fence).
Dave

Old 21-07-2007, 10:14 PM posted to austin.gardening

On Sat, 21 Jul 2007 15:24:20 GMT, "Dave"
wrote:

Got big boys and better boys. The latter are transplants from Lowes garden
center. The former are from seed. Some of the big boys are ones with
problems. Basically, in the short periods we didn't have rain, I soaked the
garden ditch style. Otherwise, no irrigation. Haven't fertilized since
late winter. Will probably go with the heavy pruning idea. Pull up the
ones in trouble.

That's what I did. Just don't remove all the foliage or it won't be
able to photosynthesize. This year I bought two tomatoes from
"Gardens" on 35th St. Both called 'Mexico.' I suppose or hope anyway
that I'll see some fruit in the fall. The plants are the healthiest
I've ever had. The thing I did differently this year was to make
compost and use 1/2 of it mixed with very good potting mix. I added
Ladybug Brand fertilizer into the mix in containers, then mulched the
plants in containers with crushed granite. I think the granite was
very beneficial. I did the same with my 'Ichiban' eggplant and those
are producing repeatedly and are healthy.

No big deal. Climatology and energy conservation is high interest for me.
As it should be for everyone.

Reason for climate change, global warming and so forth is interesting
ongoing debate. 2 things occur for a conclusion. The first is if the
evidence is accurate. The second is a conclusion based on that evidence.
The 2nd one, a conclusion, seems to be what's most debated. Usually, its
the evidence that's most suspect in reaching a conclusion.

There is scientific evidence, chasms in the glaciers, trees falling
over because the permafrost is melting and many other factual data to
draw upon. What could possibly be the purpose for anyone to lie about
it? Or fudge evidence or data? That's the part I am in the Twilight
Zone about.

Because of my work schedule is in the afternoon/evening, I don't use lights
very much. Generally relax for an hour and hit the bed. My front porch has
5 100 watt bulbs. I do turn these on to feed the dogs when I get home at
night. Usually negotiate the house with a couple of night lights on at
night. Have the thermostat set at 80 F. Enough to keep the humidity down
and comfortable. My 2 lawn lights are solar powered/battery storage
cheapies. They provide enough light to negotiate the rough walkway to the
front steps. Electric fence line attached to the fence post insulators
around the house is also solar powered/battery storage. (Is the only thing
I've found that kept the dogs from digging under the fence).
Dave

Good for you. I try to make my footprint as gentle as I can. I
definitely consume. We are consumers in this nation. Throw away
consumers. I don't understand sometimes...the mind boggles.

Victoria

Old 22-07-2007, 05:11 AM posted to austin.gardening

wrote:

[...]

There is little debate about the evidence as I previously noted. Some
people can't make the conclusion based on the evidence. They don't debate
the evidence. This (in my book anyway) is called making a leap of faith.
They can't come to the conclusion that's logical in my book. In such
debates about such a conclusion, I sense fear of change and pocketbook loss
by such naysayers.

"Same as it ever was" - Red hot chili peppers

Dave

'Maters looking up Terry Coombs Edible Gardening 1 01-08-2015 08:07 PM
Bloomin' Maters and other matters Terry Coombs Edible Gardening 1 16-05-2015 08:19 PM
"maters" Jonny Texas 8 30-10-2006 02:09 AM
The Maters are HERE!!! Cheetah Gardening 1 11-07-2004 07:02 AM
yellow spots on 'maters Elliot Richmond Texas 0 30-05-2003 04:20 PM