Old 24-07-2007, 06:43 PM posted to austin.gardening

Default Please help ID these "vines"

On Jul 24, 8:10 am, Omelet wrote:

Where is Leander in reference to San Marcos?

Leander is a suburb of Lampasas. Get on 183 and head north. Pack a
lunch and take a can of gas. Mind the toll road and don't get
suckered in - the last free exit is poorly marked AND the toll road
doesn't go anywhere near Leander, it heads off toward P'ville...

Old 24-07-2007, 07:20 PM posted to austin.gardening

In article . com,
" wrote:

On Jul 24, 8:10 am, Omelet wrote:

Where is Leander in reference to San Marcos?

Leander is a suburb of Lampasas. Get on 183 and head north. Pack a
lunch and take a can of gas. Mind the toll road and don't get
suckered in - the last free exit is poorly marked AND the toll road
doesn't go anywhere near Leander, it heads off toward P'ville...

Damn. I'm horribly navigationally challenged. (IOW I get lost easily!).

Any chance I could just pay for postage for a root ball? ;-)
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Old 24-07-2007, 07:35 PM posted to austin.gardening

On Jul 24, 12:20 pm, Omelet wrote:

Any chance I could just pay for postage for a root ball? ;-)

Send Wooly an email with your mailing address. She has a couple of
VCs out back that seem unkillable, one will surely survive the trip.

Old 24-07-2007, 08:14 PM posted to austin.gardening

In article . com,
" wrote:

On Jul 24, 12:20 pm, Omelet wrote:

Any chance I could just pay for postage for a root ball? ;-)

Send Wooly an email with your mailing address. She has a couple of
VCs out back that seem unkillable, one will surely survive the trip.

lol And I could probably do some trading with her for catnip, or some
other vines!

OTOH, dead presidents work for me too... (aka, cash).

Hopefully, she will respond. If not, I have her private e-mail.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Old 25-07-2007, 02:48 AM posted to austin.gardening

"Omelet" wrote in message
news
In article . com,
" wrote:

On Jul 24, 8:10 am, Omelet wrote:

Where is Leander in reference to San Marcos?

Leander is a suburb of Lampasas. Get on 183 and head north. Pack a
lunch and take a can of gas. Mind the toll road and don't get
suckered in - the last free exit is poorly marked AND the toll road
doesn't go anywhere near Leander, it heads off toward P'ville...

Damn. I'm horribly navigationally challenged. (IOW I get lost easily!).

Any chance I could just pay for postage for a root ball? ;-)

me thinks he doth exaggerate just a mite.... :-)

Leander is 25.4 miles north(ish)/northwest(ish) of downtown Austin. On the
weekend (i.e., no traffic), it takes me about 30 minutes to get downtown.
During the week, unless traffic is absolutely horrendous, it takes me 45-60
minutes. So, if you know how long it takes you to get to downtown Austin
from San Marcos, you can estimate.

And yes, you can get sucked into the tollroad (183A version) at 620 and 183.
But that's no where near Pflugerville (unless the reference was to a
different P'ville). 183A goes right through the northern edge of Leander,
and I live halfway between 183A and 183 (about 1/4 mile from each).

Unfortunately, my torn meniscus won't let me dig up root balls. :-( Which
is one reason this summer that they are unusually vibrant, healthy,
thriving, and attempting to grow up the pillars of my porch from which I
ruthlessly rip them every couple of weeks. :-) If you think you might want
to attempt to rescue them, I'll hold off applying the RoundUp for a while.
I'll just stand in my doorway and point the bottle threateningly in the
direction of the flower bed.

Old 25-07-2007, 07:56 PM posted to austin.gardening

In article ,
"suzilem" wrote:

"Omelet" wrote in message
news
In article . com,
" wrote:

On Jul 24, 8:10 am, Omelet wrote:

[...]

lol I'll keep this post and see what I can do...

With all the rain right now, maybe they could get well established
before another drought hits.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Old 28-07-2007, 07:49 PM posted to austin.gardening

On Tue, 24 Jul 2007 09:59:37 -0500, Omelet
wrote:

In article ,
Steve Wertz wrote:

On Tue, 24 Jul 2007 08:11:22 -0500, Omelet wrote:

I don't find Virginia Creeper to be ugly at all. The leaf shape is very
pleasing to the eye.

In the right spot, and evenly distributed, it can be nice. But I
think most of the patches I see are unwanted and random. Plus I
think there are much better looking ivies if it's an intended
decoration.

Just my $.02.

-sw

Right now I have honeysuckle but it's getting choked out by the mustang
grapes. We mercilessly pruned those last weekend.

I also have asian jasmine and english ivy.

Speaking of which; does anyone have any ideas about how to KILL
mustang grapes once they are established and climbing trees?
Naturally, the point is for the trees to survive, but short of that
anything goes.

_BS
Old 28-07-2007, 08:04 PM posted to austin.gardening

In article ,
B. Server wrote:

On Tue, 24 Jul 2007 09:59:37 -0500, Omelet
wrote:

In article ,
Steve Wertz wrote:

[...]

Cut them off at the base, then go from there.

I've never yet had them root from runners but they are not touching the
ground either.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Old 29-07-2007, 11:57 PM posted to austin.gardening

B. Server wrote:
On Tue, 24 Jul 2007 09:59:37 -0500, Omelet
wrote:

In article ,
Steve Wertz wrote:

[...]

chop and dig