Old 23-07-2007, 02:57 AM posted to austin.gardening

Default Please help ID these "vines"

Can someone ID these "vines" growing on the fence in
my backyard. They have also begun to spring up in patches
in the middle of the yard.

Since this is not a binaries group and they frown on attachments,
here are links to photos of the culprits:

http://www.theshipmanfamily.com/100_0475.jpg
http://www.theshipmanfamily.com/100_0476.jpg
Old 23-07-2007, 03:33 AM posted to austin.gardening

"MrClean" wrote in message
Can someone ID these "vines" growing on the fence in
my backyard. They have also begun to spring up in patches
in the middle of the yard.

Since this is not a binaries group and they frown on attachments,
here are links to photos of the culprits:

http://www.theshipmanfamily.com/100_0475.jpg
http://www.theshipmanfamily.com/100_0476.jpg

Virginia Creeper

http://www.agriculture.purdue.edu/fn...vrtrail08.html
scroll down, looks exactly like your photo

Old 23-07-2007, 03:33 AM posted to austin.gardening

On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 20:57:37 -0500, MrClean wrote:

Can someone ID these "vines" growing on the fence in
my backyard. They have also begun to spring up in patches
in the middle of the yard.

Since this is not a binaries group and they frown on attachments,
here are links to photos of the culprits:

http://www.theshipmanfamily.com/100_0475.jpg
http://www.theshipmanfamily.com/100_0476.jpg

Virginia Creeper (Parthenocissus quinquefolia)
http://njaes.rutgers.edu/weeds/weed.asp?virginiacreeper
Old 23-07-2007, 06:27 AM posted to austin.gardening

"Steve Wertz" wrote in message
Three answers all posted within the same minute! Weird.

9:33:04 - moi
9:33:29 - Treedweller
9:33:58 - you

I gave you guys a half hour head start........ but had to look it up, and
cross-reference, and get distracted, as I didn't know what it was, either.

Old 23-07-2007, 10:22 AM posted to austin.gardening

In article ,
MrClean wrote:

Can someone ID these "vines" growing on the fence in
my backyard. They have also begun to spring up in patches
in the middle of the yard.

Since this is not a binaries group and they frown on attachments,
here are links to photos of the culprits:

http://www.theshipmanfamily.com/100_0475.jpg
http://www.theshipmanfamily.com/100_0476.jpg

Looks like Virginia Creeper. I'm jealous! I bought one from the nursery
as it's supposed to be a good shade grower, but have not managed to get
it going.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Old 23-07-2007, 12:54 PM posted to austin.gardening

"Omelet" wrote in message
news
In article ,
MrClean wrote:

Can someone ID these "vines" growing on the fence in
my backyard. They have also begun to spring up in patches
in the middle of the yard.

Since this is not a binaries group and they frown on attachments,
here are links to photos of the culprits:

http://www.theshipmanfamily.com/100_0475.jpg
http://www.theshipmanfamily.com/100_0476.jpg

Looks like Virginia Creeper. I'm jealous! I bought one from the nursery
as it's supposed to be a good shade grower, but have not managed to get
it going.

I have at least three growing near my front porch, and I haven't been able
to erradicate them! I've even dug up root balls three years in a row.
Within a couple of weeks, they're baaaack!

If you'd like to visit Leander with a shovel, you're welcome to retrieve as
many chunks-o-specimen as you'd like. :-)

Old 23-07-2007, 03:28 PM posted to austin.gardening

On Jul 23, 6:54 am, "suzilem"
wrote:

I have at least three growing near my front porch, and I haven't been able
to erradicate them! I've even dug up root balls three years in a row.
Within a couple of weeks, they're baaaack!

"Roundup for Woody Plants". Get the stuff that's ready to spray and
dose liberally on a warm dry day. The stuff worked on a pyracantha I
despised (Oops sorry dear, I have no idea why THAT died!) as well as
the V.Creeper, the poison ivy.

It'll kill pretty much everything it touches - faster or slower
depending on how much or little you apply. Cover with plastic
anything in the vicinity you want to keep. You can remove the plastic
once the Roundup dries.

Old 23-07-2007, 05:49 PM posted to austin.gardening

On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 00:27:05 -0500, cat daddy wrote:

"Steve Wertz" wrote in message
Three answers all posted within the same minute! Weird.

9:33:04 - moi
9:33:29 - Treedweller
9:33:58 - you

I gave you guys a half hour head start........ but had to look it up,

and
cross-reference, and get distracted, as I didn't know what it was,

either.

I knew what it was right away, but then I wasted 55 seconds
trying to find a good reference - then I figured he cold look it
up for himself :-P

I was about to do the same, but was struck by the similarity of the
photos and went back to grab the link, after looking at a bunch of other
stuff.

Omelet - 4:22AM......... hehe... loser... }:-)

Old 23-07-2007, 05:53 PM posted to austin.gardening

In article ,
"suzilem" wrote:

"Omelet" wrote in message
news
In article ,
MrClean wrote:

Can someone ID these "vines" growing on the fence in
my backyard. They have also begun to spring up in patches
in the middle of the yard.

Since this is not a binaries group and they frown on attachments,
here are links to photos of the culprits:

http://www.theshipmanfamily.com/100_0475.jpg
http://www.theshipmanfamily.com/100_0476.jpg

Looks like Virginia Creeper. I'm jealous! I bought one from the nursery
as it's supposed to be a good shade grower, but have not managed to get
it going.

I have at least three growing near my front porch, and I haven't been able
to erradicate them! I've even dug up root balls three years in a row.
Within a couple of weeks, they're baaaack!

If you'd like to visit Leander with a shovel, you're welcome to retrieve as
many chunks-o-specimen as you'd like. :-)

:-)
If I could ever find the time, I would.
I'd be happy to pay you for a live root ball...

Since you can't eradicated it, try potting it and selling it. I've taken
plant propagates and traded them at the nurseries for other plants that
I've wanted. Many are amenable to doing that.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Old 23-07-2007, 08:00 PM posted to austin.gardening

In article ,
"cat daddy" wrote:

[...]

I overslept. ;-)
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Old 24-07-2007, 01:24 AM posted to austin.gardening

"Omelet" wrote in message
news
[...]

I have a plan. :-)

The three in the flower bed, I'll take the suggestion upthead (thanks!) and
liberally dose with the RoundUp. The one around the other corner of the
porch, I'll just keep pulling up by the roots (it's presence doesn't annoy
me as much) and you can come retrieve its tenacious root ball (free! no
charge!) if you ever have the time. :-)

Old 24-07-2007, 05:35 AM posted to austin.gardening

On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 21:33:58 -0500, Steve Wertz
wrote:

On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 20:57:37 -0500, MrClean wrote:

Can someone ID these "vines" growing on the fence in
my backyard. They have also begun to spring up in patches
in the middle of the yard.

Since this is not a binaries group and they frown on attachments,
here are links to photos of the culprits:

http://www.theshipmanfamily.com/100_0475.jpg
http://www.theshipmanfamily.com/100_0476.jpg

Virgina Creeper. Ugly, but harmless to humans. Chokes out
everything else though.

-sw

But very pretty fall color. Richer reds than most any local oaks.

(in someone elses yard..)

-BS
Old 24-07-2007, 02:10 PM posted to austin.gardening

In article ,
"suzilem" wrote:

"Omelet" wrote in message
news
[...]

Where is Leander in reference to San Marcos?

Before you eradicate it, I paid $3.00 for a 4" pot of that vine at a
local nursery...
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Old 24-07-2007, 02:11 PM posted to austin.gardening

wrote:

On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 20:57:37 -0500, MrClean wrote:

Can someone ID these "vines" growing on the fence in
my backyard. They have also begun to spring up in patches
in the middle of the yard.

Since this is not a binaries group and they frown on attachments,
here are links to photos of the culprits:

http://www.theshipmanfamily.com/100_0475.jpg
http://www.theshipmanfamily.com/100_0476.jpg

Virgina Creeper. Ugly, but harmless to humans. Chokes out
everything else though.

-sw

But very pretty fall color. Richer reds than most any local oaks.

(in someone elses yard..)

-BS

I don't find Virginia Creeper to be ugly at all. The leaf shape is very
pleasing to the eye.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Old 24-07-2007, 03:59 PM posted to austin.gardening

In article ,
Steve Wertz wrote:

On Tue, 24 Jul 2007 08:11:22 -0500, Omelet wrote:

I don't find Virginia Creeper to be ugly at all. The leaf shape is very
pleasing to the eye.

In the right spot, and evenly distributed, it can be nice. But I
think most of the patches I see are unwanted and random. Plus I
think there are much better looking ivies if it's an intended
decoration.

Just my $.02.

-sw

Right now I have honeysuckle but it's getting choked out by the mustang
grapes. We mercilessly pruned those last weekend.

I also have asian jasmine and english ivy.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.