Old 26-07-2007, 02:58 PM posted to austin.gardening

Default More Vines to ID, Please

You wonderful folks did a great job in quickly identifying the
Virginia Creeper. I'm begging you to help me out by identifying three
vineson my property. Thanks!

Darker leaf, heart-shaped taking over my Texas Sage
http://s181.photobucket.com/albums/x...t=100_0583.jpg

This one's all over the place!!!
http://s181.photobucket.com/albums/x...t=100_0580.jpg

Poison Ivy?
http://s181.photobucket.com/albums/x...t=100_0588.jpg
Old 26-07-2007, 05:33 PM posted to austin.gardening

On Jul 26, 8:58 am, texas twang wrote:
You wonderful folks did a great job in quickly identifying the
Virginia Creeper. I'm begging you to help me out by identifying three
vineson my property. Thanks!

Darker leaf, heart-shaped taking over my Texas Sagehttp://s181.photobucket.com/albums/x171/TerlinguaSkies/?action=view&c...

Bindweed or chokeweed. Makes me break out. Grows fast, comes back
from stumps if you aren't ruthless. Cut at ground level any time you
see it sprouting. Pull vines out of whatever they're growing in, to
the extent that you can.

This one's all over the place!!!http://s181.photobucket.com/albums/x...?action=view&c...

Looks like morning glory. Have you seen any flowers on it?

Poison Ivy?http://s181.photobucket.com/albums/x...?action=view&c...

Yes, something rash-making.

Old 26-07-2007, 07:51 PM posted to austin.gardening

Thanks, Guy! Fortunately, the one I have the most of is the morning
glory. No flowers on it yet, but I'm sure they'll be along soon. I
wonder if all the cloud cover/rain has retarded their blooms.

Looks like I'm in for a real battle with the bindweed, but I'll get on
it. Probably a war I can't win as it's out by the road near my
entrance, and I'm out in the middle of nowhere.

As for the poison ivy, this little bit is all I've detected. I'll cut
the vine at ground level and zap it there.

Greatly appreciate your help!

Old 26-07-2007, 08:20 PM posted to austin.gardening

Thanks, Cliff. While I do have smilax growing nearby, it has thorns on
it. The vines in picture #1 have no thorns. I apologize that the
picture I uploaded was not the best sample I could have used. Are
there varieties of smilax in Central Texas without thorns?

nOn Thu, 26 Jul 2007 14:00:27 -0500, "Cliff"
wrote:

Smilacs

.. .

Old 26-07-2007, 08:40 PM posted to austin.gardening

On Jul 26, 1:51 pm, texas twang wrote:
Thanks, Guy! Fortunately, the one I have the most of is the morning
glory. No flowers on it yet, but I'm sure they'll be along soon. I
wonder if all the cloud cover/rain has retarded their blooms.

My morning glory isn't doing terribly well - it's been creeping about
but only recently started blooming, and only a few small blooms at
that. Some other MG vines I know of that get more sun (such as it has
been lately) are doing better than mine.

Looks like I'm in for a real battle with the bindweed, but I'll get on
it. Probably a war I can't win as it's out by the road near my
entrance, and I'm out in the middle of nowhere.

The stuff is nearly impossible to get rid of. I found one out back
that had climbed a photinia, leapt to the Arizona Ashe tree, and was
making a run for the eaves. The stem at ground level was nearly 2" in
diameter. Once I cut that stem five more popped up. The stuff tends
to grow near the bases of the host plants which makes herbicide a bad
idea.

As for the poison ivy, this little bit is all I've detected. I'll cut
the vine at ground level and zap it there.

If you're allergic wear long sleeves, long pants and gloves. The oils
can become airborne on a humid day. *scratch scratch*

Old 26-07-2007, 08:45 PM posted to austin.gardening

In article ,
texas twang wrote:

You wonderful folks did a great job in quickly identifying the
Virginia Creeper. I'm begging you to help me out by identifying three
vineson my property. Thanks!

Darker leaf, heart-shaped taking over my Texas Sage
http://s181.photobucket.com/albums/x...iew&current=10
0_0583.jpg

I know what this one is as I have it too, but I can't bloody think of
it's name at the moment! Grows from large underground potato-like root
bulbs.
Some people call it briar but I looked it up and that's just a nick name
it appears.

Liana I think? (took me a few minutes! I knew it started with an L.)

This one's all over the place!!!
http://s181.photobucket.com/albums/x...iew&current=10
0_0580.jpg

Wild morning glory. :-) Aka Bindweed. It's almost taken over my back
yard this summer due to all the rain. I've kept it weeded out of my
flower garden but let it grow everywhere else. Pretty purple flowers
that dump a lot of seeds that come up all next year.

I know this one all TOO well! I've had it grow in three different shades.

Poison Ivy?
http://s181.photobucket.com/albums/x...iew&current=10
0_0588.jpg

No. I have some of this growing in front and I try to encourage it as
I'd dug it up and planted it there. Pretty vine and not so invasive. I'm
not sure what it is but it looks like some type of wild ivy.

I try to xeriscape (use native plants) wherever possible for landscaping
to save on water.

If you find a weed that is pretty, cultivate it. :-)
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Old 27-07-2007, 12:36 AM posted to austin.gardening

On Thu, 26 Jul 2007 08:58:31 -0500, texas twang
wrote:

You wonderful folks did a great job in quickly identifying the
Virginia Creeper. I'm begging you to help me out by identifying three
vineson my property. Thanks!

Darker leaf, heart-shaped taking over my Texas Sage
http://s181.photobucket.com/albums/x...t=100_0583.jpg

snailseed vine, _Cocculus carolinus_

This one's all over the place!!!
http://s181.photobucket.com/albums/x...t=100_0580.jpg

morning glory, as others have said. _Ipomoea lindheimeri_

Poison Ivy?
http://s181.photobucket.com/albums/x...t=100_0588.jpg

no, I don't think so. Are the leaves fleshy? kind of thick and juicy?
That's something else--I can't ID it, but it's not itchy.

Old 27-07-2007, 01:08 AM posted to austin.gardening

Thanks, Om. That wild morning glory is a bit too wild for me and not
so glorious in either the morning or evening. Wouldn't mind it so much
if it wasn't crawling all over my Texas Sage. It has been so wet for
so long that I'm seeing vines/weeds that I've never noticed before as
I'm usually out hoeing with the first seedling. Strange summer.

Old 27-07-2007, 01:16 AM posted to austin.gardening

Darker leaf, heart-shaped taking over my Texas Sage
http://s181.photobucket.com/albums/x...t=100_0583.jpg

snailseed vine, _Cocculus carolinus_

Yes, Treedweller! This has to be it! Having the advantage of going
back and looking more closely at the vine and viewing all each
suggestion online, this snailseed vine seems to be the one. I had
never heard it. Thanks to all who took the time to respond.

Poison Ivy?
http://s181.photobucket.com/albums/x...t=100_0588.jpg

no, I don't think so. Are the leaves fleshy? kind of thick and juicy?
That's something else--I can't ID it, but it's not itchy.

Thick and juicy? Like a big steak? No, these leaves are thin and are
not glossy.

Old 27-07-2007, 05:32 AM posted to austin.gardening

texas twang wrote:

Darker leaf, heart-shaped taking over my Texas Sage
http://s181.photobucket.com/albums/x...t=100_0583.jpg

snailseed vine, _Cocculus carolinus_

Yes, Treedweller! This has to be it! Having the advantage of going
back and looking more closely at the vine and viewing all each
suggestion online, this snailseed vine seems to be the one. I had
never heard it. Thanks to all who took the time to respond.

Poison Ivy?
http://s181.photobucket.com/albums/x...t=100_0588.jpg

no, I don't think so. Are the leaves fleshy? kind of thick and juicy?
That's something else--I can't ID it, but it's not itchy.

Thick and juicy? Like a big steak? No, these leaves are thin and are
not glossy.

It looks like cow-itch vine, cissus incisa. Pull it up and there will be
little round nodules underground.

http://tinyurl.com/275udd
Old 27-07-2007, 02:29 PM posted to austin.gardening

In article ,
texas twang wrote:

Thanks, Om. That wild morning glory is a bit too wild for me and not
so glorious in either the morning or evening. Wouldn't mind it so much
if it wasn't crawling all over my Texas Sage. It has been so wet for
so long that I'm seeing vines/weeds that I've never noticed before as
I'm usually out hoeing with the first seedling. Strange summer.

I totally empathize. :-) I have ruthlessly weeded it out where I don't
want it.

That stuff grows FAST!!!

And it drops tons of seeds. Mine are blooming gloriously much to the
delight of the local butterflies.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Old 27-07-2007, 03:23 PM posted to austin.gardening

On Fri, 27 Jul 2007 08:29:42 -0500, Omelet wrote:
In article ,
texas twang wrote:

Thanks, Om. That wild morning glory is a bit too wild for me and not
so glorious in either the morning or evening. Wouldn't mind it so much
if it wasn't crawling all over my Texas Sage. It has been so wet for
so long that I'm seeing vines/weeds that I've never noticed before as
I'm usually out hoeing with the first seedling. Strange summer.

I totally empathize. :-) I have ruthlessly weeded it out where I don't
want it.

That stuff grows FAST!!!

And it drops tons of seeds. Mine are blooming gloriously much to the
delight of the local butterflies.
--

I've had morning glory vines take over a large part of my front yard this
spring. I've let it go so far, but was wondering how aggresively it

-df
Old 27-07-2007, 06:06 PM posted to austin.gardening

texas twang wrote:

[...]

That is entirely up to you. Just keep in mind that every one of those
flowers will generally drop 4 seeds. They will come up all year next
year at random intervals.

Personally, I don't worry about it. If a "weed" is pretty, I leave it be
as any Texas natives used for landscaping are going to save me on water
bills, and I think the wild glories are pretty!

I just weed them out as they come up if they are trying to grow
somewhere I don't want them.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.