GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   fall garden - what works? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/texas/162897-fall-garden-what-works.html)

Doug Lassiter 10-08-2007 01:55 PM

fall garden - what works?

We had to remove a large tree last year and, for the first time in
many years, we have a spot (10x15') with good sun. We had an excellent
spring garden -- cherry tomatoes, peppers, basil, parsley, etc. Very
successful.

I have good experience with summer veg gardens in other parts of the
country, but have yet to adapt to this "2-season" business. As
expected, the tomatoes are on their way out and we're looking to plant
a fall garden. Any suggestions about what works well? More
specifically, any suggestions about what *doesn't* work well? As in,
things that like heat at the end. I've taken cuttings of the tomatoes,
so we'll probably go for a second crop of those.

Also, should I be replanting asap, or should I wait a few weeks to get
over the summer heat hump?

Doug

dt 10-08-2007 03:45 PM

fall garden - what works?

Doug Lassiter wrote:

We had to remove a large tree last year and, for the first time in
many years, we have a spot (10x15') with good sun. We had an excellent
spring garden -- cherry tomatoes, peppers, basil, parsley, etc. Very
successful.

I have good experience with summer veg gardens in other parts of the
country, but have yet to adapt to this "2-season" business. As
expected, the tomatoes are on their way out and we're looking to plant
a fall garden. Any suggestions about what works well? More
specifically, any suggestions about what *doesn't* work well? As in,
things that like heat at the end. I've taken cuttings of the tomatoes,
so we'll probably go for a second crop of those.

Also, should I be replanting asap, or should I wait a few weeks to get
over the summer heat hump?

Doug

Hey, Doug. A good place to start for info like that is the Travis
County Extension Office. Their planting calendar is he
http://tinyurl.com/2c5act

Personally, my tomatoes are shaded right now, and when the weather cools
off a little, I expect 'em to start putting out again. If you can baby
them through the hot part, they might surprise you.

Good luck!

DT

Doug Lassiter 10-08-2007 05:14 PM

fall garden - what works?

Hey, Doug. A good place to start for info like that is the Travis
County Extension Office. Their planting calendar is hehttp://tinyurl.com/2c5act

Excellent. I'm a little embarrassed not to have gone to look for that.
Thanks for the link.
I'd still like to hear detailed suggestions -- especially stuff like
"this is great to plant now, but be sure to ... and be prepared
to ..."

My cherries ended up about 6 feet high, and as I recall is pretty
normal, they're browning the the bottom up. All the new growth is on
top, and the water is getting kind of far away.
I would have gone for slicers, but I was a little intimidated by the
prospect of blossom drop on the hot nights. As it turns out, we didn't
have any hot nights this very weird summer.

I may put some shade cloth over my seedlings for a few weeks.

Doug