Old 25-08-2007, 06:14 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,austin.gardening,rec.gardens

Default Lawn

No pictures available.

Have some kind of foliage that is very similar to St. Augustine. However,
it grows much taller/quicker. Its seems to be a grass type. Blades of it
are sectionalized into 3 sections, vice 2 for St. Augustine. Grows about
twice the rate for the blades/leaves, but, does not seem to spread the same
way. Is localized, not prolific. Color is virtually idential to St.
Augustine.

What is it?
How do I get rid of it?
Dave

Old 25-08-2007, 10:15 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,austin.gardening,rec.gardens

In article ,
"Dave" wrote:

No pictures available.

Have some kind of foliage that is very similar to St. Augustine. However,
it grows much taller/quicker. Its seems to be a grass type. Blades of it
are sectionalized into 3 sections, vice 2 for St. Augustine. Grows about
twice the rate for the blades/leaves, but, does not seem to spread the same
way. Is localized, not prolific. Color is virtually idential to St.
Augustine.

What is it?
How do I get rid of it?
Dave

Johnson Grass?
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Old 25-08-2007, 12:06 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,austin.gardening,rec.gardens

Dave said:

No pictures available.

Have some kind of foliage that is very similar to St. Augustine. However,
it grows much taller/quicker. Its seems to be a grass type. Blades of it
are sectionalized into 3 sections, vice 2 for St. Augustine. Grows about
twice the rate for the blades/leaves, but, does not seem to spread the
same way. Is localized, not prolific. Color is virtually idential to St.
Augustine.

What is it?

Blades in triplets makes it sound like some sort of sedge grass.
If it were in my lawn (in Michigan) I'd be thinking nut sedge.

How do I get rid of it?

Googling nutsedge, St. Augustine, and lawn popped up this
answer early in the results:

Use imazaquin (Image).

Cannot vouch for it personally, though. I had a section of the
lawn torn up and reseeded when we has street improvements
put in, and I eliminated the nutsedge in that section by hand pulling.

(attributed to Don Marti)

Old 25-08-2007, 12:12 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,austin.gardening,rec.gardens

"Dave" wrote in message
No pictures available.

Have some kind of foliage that is very similar to St. Augustine. However,
it grows much taller/quicker. Its seems to be a grass type. Blades of it
are sectionalized into 3 sections, vice 2 for St. Augustine. Grows about
twice the rate for the blades/leaves, but, does not seem to spread the

same
way. Is localized, not prolific. Color is virtually idential to St.
Augustine.

What is it?
How do I get rid of it?

Dallisgrass? If it is, you pull it up by hand.
http://ipm.ppws.vt.edu/scott/weed_id/pasdi.htm

Old 25-08-2007, 03:47 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,austin.gardening,rec.gardens

On Aug 25, 7:12 am, "cat daddy" wrote:
"Dave" wrote in message

No pictures available.

Have some kind of foliage that is very similar to St. Augustine. However,
it grows much taller/quicker. Its seems to be a grass type. Blades of it
are sectionalized into 3 sections, vice 2 for St. Augustine. Grows about
twice the rate for the blades/leaves, but, does not seem to spread the

same
way. Is localized, not prolific. Color is virtually idential to St.
Augustine.

What is it?
How do I get rid of it?

Dallisgrass? If it is, you pull it up by hand.http://ipm.ppws.vt.edu/scott/weed_id/pasdi.htm

How anyone can expect anyone to identify a grass/weed without even a
picture is beyond me. Many times, even with a picture it's
impossible to tell for sure.

Old 26-08-2007, 05:55 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,austin.gardening,rec.gardens

"cat daddy" wrote in message

"Dave" wrote in message
No pictures available.

Have some kind of foliage that is very similar to St. Augustine.
However,
it grows much taller/quicker. Its seems to be a grass type. Blades of it
are sectionalized into 3 sections, vice 2 for St. Augustine. Grows about
twice the rate for the blades/leaves, but, does not seem to spread the

same
way. Is localized, not prolific. Color is virtually idential to St.
Augustine.

What is it?
How do I get rid of it?

Dallisgrass? If it is, you pull it up by hand.
http://ipm.ppws.vt.edu/scott/weed_id/pasdi.htm

Not it, but found this interesting if you have cattle.
http://www.ncsu.edu/forage/dallis.htm

The foliage in question is almost identical to St. Augustine blade-wise.
Before I cut one area around a water faucet, was over a foot long.
Extremely little drooping, no wavy feature as I saw in many pictures of
dallisgrass. No seeding features, just blades. Doesn't appear in clumps
like pictured in Dallisgrass. I do have some Dallisgrass around here, along
with buffalo grass. Both are clumpers. This breed doesn't appear to be so.

Cue me in how to upload pictures, and what websites support that? Would
like to provide weblink to pictures for your gander.
Dave

Old 26-08-2007, 06:13 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,austin.gardening,rec.gardens

"Dave" wrote in message

"cat daddy" wrote in message

"Dave" wrote in message
[...]

I'll just cut and paste Omelet's excellent advice: [clicking the news:
link should open up the group in OE]

If you want to post them here, post them at http://www.tinypic.com
harvest the URL's and post those links here.

Old 26-08-2007, 03:21 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,austin.gardening,rec.gardens

"cat daddy" wrote in message

"Dave" wrote in message

"cat daddy" wrote in message

"Dave" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks.

I generally stay away from binaries for 2 reasons. Potential infection
problem, and I only have dial-up.

Thanks for the weblink. I'll go out and take some pics for more descriptive
info. Will repost, as I cut the front lawn very recently. Will let the
stuff grow back so its easily visible.
Dave

Old 26-08-2007, 03:41 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,austin.gardening,rec.gardens

In article ,
"Dave" wrote:

Cue me in how to upload pictures, and what websites support that? Would
like to provide weblink to pictures for your gander.
Dave

I'll just cut and paste Omelet's excellent advice: [clicking the news:
link should open up the group in OE]

If you want to post them here, post them at http://www.tinypic.com
harvest the URL's and post those links here.

Thanks.

I generally stay away from binaries for 2 reasons. Potential infection
problem, and I only have dial-up.

Understood.

Thanks for the weblink. I'll go out and take some pics for more descriptive
info. Will repost, as I cut the front lawn very recently. Will let the
stuff grow back so its easily visible.
Dave

Tinypic has been a godsend.
And it makes it so I don't have to burn the limited space on my personal
webspace.

Plus it's anonymous. ;-)
--
Peace, Om